RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 423
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 1 2010, 02:24 PM   #1
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Anybody know what's going on with PSN?

Must be something major going on with PSN and the PS3 as I can't even play single player games. Seen a few comments on other boards but basically people like me asking WTF is going on.
Old March 1 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: Anybody know what's going on with PSN?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/ps...ashing-errors/
Old March 1 2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Looks like some type of bug that affecting those with Phat PS3, Sony are aware of the issue on on the case, its been caused by today being the 1st of March as the bug is related to the time and date thing on the phat PS3

Just been on the official PS3 boards and some are committing Harri Kari over this, although who knows, this might get everybody the chance of a free game from Sony as some are already containing their lawyers looking for some type of compensation for these issue.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well what irritated me was that it wasn't just that I couldn't get online, I couldn't play single player either. Actually I was glad to see that it was a widespread problem, because the way it was acting I was thinking my individual PS3 was F'd.
Old March 1 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well it just occurred to me that if this is some kind of internal clock issue that won't let us get online, then if they do come up with a patch, I'm not going to be able to get online to get it.
Old March 1 2010, 03:40 PM   #6
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Guess you get what you pay for.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2010, 03:45 PM   #7
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Now, now PKerr, play nice. Remember you have a PS3 now too.

The plot thickens. A co-worker just sent me this quote, don't know where he linked it so take it FWIW.

"Sony is narrowing down on what caused the world-wide PSN collapse, stating "possible unauthorized access" may have been the cause."
Old March 1 2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Well it just occurred to me that if this is some kind of internal clock issue that won't let us get online, then if they do come up with a patch, I'm not going to be able to get online to get it.
I have no doubt they will solve this with a intermediate firmware update, and thankfully you don't need to be signed into the PSN to download that.

Old March 1 2010, 03:54 PM   #9
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I have no doubt they will solve this with a intermediate firmware update, and thankfully you don't need to be signed into the PSN to download that.
You don't? Didn't realize that. But even after I posted that, I realized if push came to shove they could put something on their website and you could download it to a USB drive and then transfer it to the PS3. A friend of mine did that recently with her Sony TV (only in that case they actually mailed her a USB with the fix already dl'd on it.)

But if you're telling me I can get updates without PSN service, then I guess they won't have to do that.
Old March 1 2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Yeah as long as your PS3 is connected to your Internet any firmware updates will be seen by the machine even if your not signed into the PSN......same with the internet browser and Iplayer, you don't need to be signed into the PSN to use them online.

And yes good thinking, they could and no doubt will have any fix on their website to download and install as well......good point.

Old March 1 2010, 04:09 PM   #11
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Now, now PKerr, play nice. Remember you have a PS3 now too.

The plot thickens. A co-worker just sent me this quote, don't know where he linked it so take it FWIW.

"Sony is narrowing down on what caused the world-wide PSN collapse, stating "possible unauthorized access" may have been the cause."
Oh I know but this is HUGE kids.

BTW it seems like it's screwing with systems that are not logged into the PSN as well.

My system has been off for a little over a week now and it will stay that way until some sort of resolve by Sony.

In fact I'll be pulling out the ethernet cable tonight to to be sure.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...-system-errors

http://gamingbolt.com/2010/03/01/ps3...bable-reasons/

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/...ng-everything/
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2010, 04:16 PM   #12
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

“Registration of the trophy information could not be complete. The game will quit.”

yep, that's exactly the message I got.
Old March 1 2010, 04:20 PM   #13
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Yeah as long as your PS3 is connected to your Internet any firmware updates will be seen by the machine even if your not signed into the PSN......same with the internet browser and Iplayer, you don't need to be signed into the PSN to use them online.

And yes good thinking, they could and no doubt will have any fix on their website to download and install as well......good point.
I'll be damned, learn something everyday. I just assumed all this time that all things online were all connected to the PS3 by way of the PSN.
Old March 1 2010, 05:12 PM   #14
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

My roommate's PS3 has been infected by the disease, so far mine is immune but I'm too afraid to turn it on at this point.
Old March 1 2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

This issue is only affecting certain Phat PS3's models, anybody with a slim is quite safe, its related to the internal clock on certain models of phat PS3's.....i see people reporting that their 40gig and 80gig phat models are working fine....what model do you have gh4chiefs if you don't mind me asking bud.

I'll be damned, learn something everyday. I just assumed all this time that all things online were all connected to the PS3 by way of the PSN.
Yeah its no doubt a safeguard against this very type of very issue were people cant sign into the PSN so they could never get the fix.