Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 30 2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: CW is making a pilot for remake of "La Femme Nikita"

Screw Britain. How would a 6-hour miniseries help a network like the CW, which has to deliver at least 10 hours of primetime programming per week?
Yeah. You gotta consider the business model that networks (on air or cable) operate under before saying what they should or shouldn't do. What the people who make programming decisions are going to is make the boss happy so they can keep their jobs. Whether or not they "should" be doing this (what does that even mean?) doesn't matter. They are going to do it, for the same reason we all try to make the boss happy so we can keep our jobs.

So knowing that their goal is to maximize their career and earning potential, what are they likely to do or not do? Try to create hit series that maximize an audience for the longest possible period of time. TV is a hit-driven business. Nobody really knows what's going to work, and most of what they attempt fails, so a few big hits have got to pay for all the flops.

Nobody can afford to deliberately try not to maximize earning potential unless they want to hit the unemployment line. Every show they attempt must be treated as a potential hit until proven otherwise. If it weren't considered a potential hit, nobody would be trying it in the first place.

Even if some network were to say, hey let's do a six-hour show, if the ratings are sufficient, it will be expanded to a longer format. If they ratings are not sufficient, it will be cancelled. Same as if they'd planned for it to be of indefinite duration, so why not just plan for it to be of indefinite duration to begin with and scrap the pretense that it could be otherwise?

This season we saw what happened when a network (NBC) thought they had a better way of programming for primetime.
That's a somewhat different mistake from deliberately limiting the run of a show, but the same sort of mistake - there was no way Leno was ever going to be a hit of the sort that can pay for a lineup of flops that every network has to expect, even ones less lame than NBC. They forgot their business model, which is that if you waste timeslots on shows you know won't be hits, you're never going to get the hits you need to survive. And indeed - NBC has no hits. Idiots.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Roger Wilco
Admiral

The Nikita tv-show was objectively really terrible, but I still liked it, don't know why.
I hated the guy with the long chin though, whatever his name was.
Old January 30 2010, 08:43 PM   #18
Pilot Ace
Captain

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
The Nikita tv-show was objectively really terrible
I disagree. It was a niche show and particularly hokey, but not terrible.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, when I watched it, it aired at 12:30 pm, right after (or before, I'm not sure) the Mortal Kombat tv series, which was also terrible, but was possibly the tv show with the hottest babes ever, maybe that didn't do Nikita justice for me.
Old January 30 2010, 09:59 PM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I wonder if this one will have Nikita guilty of murder or not. The TV series kind of wimped out on that.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 10:11 PM   #21
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

The Nikita tv-show was objectively really terrible, but I still liked it, don't know why.
It was not terrible at all. I have read that it was the unspoken inspiration for Alias.
Old January 30 2010, 10:21 PM   #22
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
It was not terrible at all. I have read that it was the unspoken inspiration for Alias.
You have your series mixed up. La Femme Nikita and its various double-agent / government subterfuge plots were a direct inspiration for 24, and producer Joel Surnow has confirmed this on multiple accounts.

Although Nikita was absolutely terrible, outside of the inexplicably charismatic presence of Eugene Robert Glazer.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 10:25 PM   #23
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm sorry, I didn't know the show had so many fans. Maybe my memories of it aren't accurate, I mostly remember it for the hot lead actress, the milfy boss, ridiculous action scenes and lots of faux-european posing.
Old January 31 2010, 12:37 AM   #24
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
You have your series mixed up. La Femme Nikita and its various double-agent / government subterfuge plots were a direct inspiration for 24, and producer Joel Surnow has confirmed this on multiple accounts.
Spare me your trademark pedantry. I merely said that Alias owes something to La Femme Nikita. I didn't deny the possible influence of Nikita on other series.

BTW, everyone knows that Nikita influenced 24. Key personnel like Robert Cochran and Jon Cassar worked on both programs. Apologies to your friend Joel Surnow.
Old January 31 2010, 01:52 AM   #25
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

I hated the guy with the long chin though, whatever his name was.
Well if it's Michael (Nikita's on-again/off-again friend with benefits) then you're not along - the acting ability and charisma of a block of wood with that.

If it's the older guy Paul (Operations) well he's a bastard and you're supposed to hate him.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 02:57 AM   #26
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Timby wrote: View Post
Spare me your trademark pedantry. I merely said that Alias owes something to La Femme Nikita. I didn't deny the possible influence of Nikita on other series.

BTW, everyone knows that Nikita influenced 24. Key personnel like Robert Cochran and Jon Cassar worked on both programs. Apologies to your friend Joel Surnow.
Spare me your condescension. What the heck is your problem?
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 04:25 AM   #27
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

My problem, Timby, is that you jumped in to lecture me on a very minor point. Try a more amiable or tempered approach next time. It's not necessary to play the expert every time.
Old January 31 2010, 08:23 AM   #28
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Well if it's Michael (Nikita's on-again/off-again friend with benefits) then you're not along - the acting ability and charisma of a block of wood with that.

If it's the older guy Paul (Operations) well he's a bastard and you're supposed to hate him.
No, I meant the young guy, the old guy was cool.
Old January 31 2010, 08:26 AM   #29
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I guess Hollywood's unoriginality has reached the point of no return.

Indeed.

It almost feels like we've been stabbed in the hand; hopefully, it'll be good, so it won't be canceled.

Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 01:57 AM   #30
Teelie
Vice Admiral

CW is quickly becoming a network of remakes. Seriously how many of their series are not just remakes but blatant remakes not even disguised as new or different? I'm not trashing the network exactly, they do have Supernatural which IMO is great, and they have Smallville, which I don't watch but somehow is still chugging along after a decade? Pretty impressive for a series I didn't think would last 3 or 4 seasons, regardless of quality.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote