RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,914
Posts: 5,641,098
Members: 25,498
Currently online: 409
Newest member: Knight

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek ReActions Second Wave Figures
By: T'Bonz on Mar 30

Pegg Addresses Trek 3 Rumors
By: T'Bonz on Mar 30

Nimoy Documentary To Be Produced
By: T'Bonz on Mar 30

Retro Review: The Dogs of War
By: Michelle on Mar 28

Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 18 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Four Lions

I've just got home from seeing Chris Morris's new film. A story about a group of wannabe jihadists and their plans for martyrdom.

I thought it was brilliantly funny. Anybody else seen it?
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: White Wolf House
Re: Four Lions

I saw it last week, thought it was brilliant. Very funny and quite thought provoking. A good indicator of the kinds of people who probably do become suicide bombers. The men with clear mental health problems manipulated by others, the angry white fanatic, the kid who thinks it's somehow cool and, scariest of all, the normal, westernised family man whose wife and child are all behind him.

"Is a wookie a bear?"
__________________
Werewolves on the moon
Safe House "Bond meets the Haunting!"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Four Lions

A recently published research found that the mentality of wannabe bombers is much more like football hooligans than righteous religious folk. The combination of ignorance, bigotry and suggestibility to violence is exactly the same.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Four Lions

Starkers wrote: View Post
I saw it last week, thought it was brilliant. Very funny and quite thought provoking. A good indicator of the kinds of people who probably do become suicide bombers. The men with clear mental health problems manipulated by others, the angry white fanatic, the kid who thinks it's somehow cool and, scariest of all, the normal, westernised family man whose wife and child are all behind him.

"Is a wookie a bear?"
"They definitely shot the right man, but it was the wrong man who exploded."
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: White Wolf House
Re: Four Lions

Deckerd wrote: View Post
A recently published research found that the mentality of wannabe bombers is much more like football hooligans than righteous religious folk. The combination of ignorance, bigotry and suggestibility to violence is exactly the same.
Yes, and interestingly the most devout and 'radical' Muslim in the film is also the most peaceful, and at least one of the bombers fits the criteria you state. I think a lot are also those with diminsihed capacity who are led into it by people more able and who'd never have the guts to strap a bomb to themselves.

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I saw it last week, thought it was brilliant. Very funny and quite thought provoking. A good indicator of the kinds of people who probably do become suicide bombers. The men with clear mental health problems manipulated by others, the angry white fanatic, the kid who thinks it's somehow cool and, scariest of all, the normal, westernised family man whose wife and child are all behind him.

"Is a wookie a bear?"
"They definitely shot the right man, but it was the wrong man who exploded."
"We're not going to blow up a mosque!"
__________________
Werewolves on the moon
Safe House "Bond meets the Haunting!"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Four Lions

It's definitely a film that deserves to be seen, I want to go see it a second time.

"Yeah, Fuck Mini-Babybel!"
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 11:44 PM   #7
stoneroses
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Herford, Germany
Re: Four Lions

I am so busy but I will catch it on Bluray i guess.
Chris Morris is one of the best people in Comedy in the last twenty years.
__________________
Make poverty history! Make Trade fair!

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:37 AM   #8
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain
 
Hugo Rune's Avatar
 
Location: On The Beat...
Re: Four Lions

stoneroses wrote: View Post
I am so busy but I will catch it on Bluray i guess.
Chris Morris is one of the best people in Comedy in the last twenty years.
Indeed. In fact it is a crying shame that the utterly misguided backlash to the his paedophilia Brass Eye Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lroPLKs58) forced him out of the public eye (well he did make Nathan Barley, but how many people even saw it...?!)

If nothing else it appears that Morris has lost none of his balls given the subject matter here, and more importantly lost none of the ability to make an audience think as they laugh and cringe.

I've not had the chance to see Four Lions yet (too busy sadly) but I'm glad to see that middle-england has been busy sharpening its pitchforks and rekindling their torches, because it wouldn't be a Chris Morris adventure without a little witch-hunting!


Hugo - Is he a martyr or is he a Jalfrezi?
__________________
inconsessum persequor
Hugo Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 07:30 AM   #9
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: Four Lions

Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
Indeed. In fact it is a crying shame that the utterly misguided backlash to the his paedophilia Brass Eye Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lroPLKs58) forced him out of the public eye
Amazing piece of television and social commentary.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Four Lions

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
Indeed. In fact it is a crying shame that the utterly misguided backlash to the his paedophilia Brass Eye Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lroPLKs58) forced him out of the public eye
Amazing piece of television and social commentary.
The shame is that real news and current affairs shows are starting to resemble The Day Today and Brass Eye.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: Four Lions

Saw this yesterday. It was exactly what I expected; pretty shit.

Now I love Chris Morris. Day Today, Brass Eye, Jam, Nathan Barley etc, love them all.

But the words "British", "film" and "comedy" always ring alarm bells for me. I don't what it is but they just hardly ever work. This was no different. For me anyway it just wasn't very funny. Yeah there were a few chuckles and jokes, but for the most part I was just sat there bored; I actually started flicking through the cinema magazine at one point. And when a comedy film isn't funny it becomes 100% redundant.
I'd never watch it again, and of the 18 odd films I've seen at the cinema so far in 2010 this was easily the worst.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Four Lions

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was brilliant, and I'd say it was one of the better films I've seen this year. I wouldn't mind seeing it again at the cinema actually.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: White Wolf House
Re: Four Lions

^Yup, laughed my arse off most of the way through. In constrast saw Hot Tub Time MAchine tonight which, a few chuckles aside, was pretty bad.
__________________
Werewolves on the moon
Safe House "Bond meets the Haunting!"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Four Lions

Starkers wrote: View Post
^Yup, laughed my arse off most of the way through. In constrast saw Hot Tub Time MAchine tonight which, a few chuckles aside, was pretty bad.
I didn't mind Hot Tub Time Machine, but it was very obvious comedy.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Keeping an eye on TBBS
Re: Four Lions

Saw this last night. Very good, and a very affecting film. I came out of the cinema feeling totally depressed despite the fact that I had spent the last 90 minutes laughing my ass off.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.