Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
EJA
Fleet Captain

Marvel fans, a question about Dum Dum Dugan/Nick Fury

Ok, now I'm not exactly a huge fan of the Nick Fury comics, but I do know that he started off with the Howling Commandos in WW2 and has survived all the way to the present day by the Infinity Formula, which keeps him physically young and healthy. One of his old friends from his WW2 days who serves with him in S.H.I.E.L.D. is Dum Dum Dugan. A story published in Marvel Preview #31 back in 1976 revealed that for decades Fury alone had been receiving the formula. Problem is though, with Marvel's sliding timeline in effect, Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. days, even though they started being published in the 60s, supposedly began roughly a little over a decade ago as per current Marvel reckoning, so how could Dum Dum and the rest of Fury's pals from WW2 have survived such a long time and still be in relatively good health without using the formula?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Marvel fans, a question about Dum Dum Dugan/Nick Fury

This is just a "feature" of Marvel comics in general. I mean, Franklin Richards was born in the Fantastic Four comics in 1968, yet he's still portrayed as a little kid, over 40 years later. Everyone ages extremely slowly even though the look of the comics adapts to contemporary tastes over time.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Yes, but Franklin's birth isn't tied to any particular year, so it's okay to make his age flexible. Dum Dum is known to have fought in WW2, so he couldn't have been born later than 1920-1930, and cannot be less than 80-90 years old.

The same is true for Nick, Namor, Captain America, Bucky, and lots of others, but Marvel has provided explanations for how each one has stayed young. Why haven't they explained Dum Dum?
Old February 2 2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They probably just forgot since he's not as important as those others are.

I do wonder about Magneto though, they did explain how he occasionally gets de-aged to be between 20-30 but the first de-aging didn't happen for years. This means he aged normally until then but for his WW2 origin to work he has to keep showing up around 15 years ago. That means he didn't bother starting his crusade against humanity for decades after WWII. Unless they explain how he was de-aged between WWII and his first appearance soon he'll have been 100 years old when he began his career.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

The X-Men were teenagers in 1963, and even now they don't appear to be any older than their 30's (maybe 40's). Has it ever been explained how they continue to look young?

Let's face it, this issue has never been treated consistently. Best not to look too deeply at it, because there is no truly consistent explanation for "Marvel time." Some characters, we have explanations for how they've stayed young. Others, we got jack. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to it. It's not like anyone expected these comic book things to take off and run for decades on end!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
EJA
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
I do wonder about Magneto though, they did explain how he occasionally gets de-aged to be between 20-30 but the first de-aging didn't happen for years. This means he aged normally until then but for his WW2 origin to work he has to keep showing up around 15 years ago. That means he didn't bother starting his crusade against humanity for decades after WWII. Unless they explain how he was de-aged between WWII and his first appearance soon he'll have been 100 years old when he began his career.
The only answer I can think of regarding Magneto is that at some point he had already been rejuvenated when he first fought the X-Men. Whether or not he had been already been rejuvenated when he first met Charles Xavier is another matter. I believe Marvel has provided an explanation for how the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be his children and younger than they ought to be, by saying that the High Evolutionary kept them in suspended animation for a long time.
Old February 2 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
dru
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Yes, but Franklin's birth isn't tied to any particular year, so it's okay to make his age flexible. Dum Dum...

If you're asking these things it's time to find a different hobby. Seriously, Iron Man was initially tied to the Vietnam War. Reed Richards served in, I think, Korea with Ben Grimm. Jean Grey's grave marker in Uncanny X-Men #138 has DOB & DOD which incidentally would've made her too young when she joined Xavier's school. We saw sitting presidents too.
Old February 2 2010, 10:21 PM   #8
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Actually, Reed, Ben and Nick were all tied together by WW2 at first. That was one of the first things to get retconned away.

Why they keep the Punisher tied to Vietnam and not Iron Man Stark...who knows?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I've wondered about this as well - anyone tied to a time period has been given a specific reason why they are not old (Wolverine, Captain America, Bucky, Nick Fury) or they shift the time period (iron-man, the x-men) or they de-age them on-panel (magnus) - Dum-dum just seems to be very old..
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2010, 11:26 PM   #10
EJA
Fleet Captain

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Why they keep the Punisher tied to Vietnam and not Iron Man Stark...who knows?
I think the current line of thinking is that Frank Castle did not fight in THE Vietnam War of the 1960s-70s, but a separate military operation in Southeast Asia years later.
Old February 2 2010, 11:57 PM   #11
O'Dib
Commodore

Should be Desert storm
Old February 3 2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Anwar wrote: View Post
They probably just forgot since he's not as important as those others are.

I seem to recall that an issue of X-Men Unlimited from 1993 or so put his year of birth at 1928. This would make him 81 or 82 at present.

dru wrote: View Post
Jean Grey's grave marker in Uncanny X-Men #138 has DOB & DOD which incidentally would've made her too young when she joined Xavier's school.
1956 - 1980, wasn't it? I guess that she'd be 30 now,then, with the DOB being 1979 or 1980.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

EJA wrote: View Post
I think the current line of thinking is that Frank Castle did not fight in THE Vietnam War of the 1960s-70s, but a separate military operation in Southeast Asia years later.
I don't recall that. Certainly the MAX Punisher is still a Vietnam veteran. I think that while you can shift world events around character moments like Iron Man's injury, some--Captain America in WWII, and Punisher in Vietnam--are simply too integral to the character to be easily transfered to a more modern conflict. I just accept it as a conceit of the fictional universe and move on.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old February 3 2010, 02:02 AM   #14
CaptainCanada
Admiral

MAX Punisher isn't in 616 continuity; the 616 Punisher has the same sort of sliding timeline, I believe.

As to Dugan, no, they've never explained why the original Howling Commandos are still around and kicking (Gabe Jones is another one).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Heck, there was story back in the 80s where Captain America and Red Skull got exposed to something that made them age to their proper ages.

They better retcon that so it was "it rapidly aged them" instead "true ages" otherwise soon people will wonder why they both didn't die immediately from extreme age.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote