CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 26 2010, 04:55 PM   #106
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Well, actually, I requested it in the first post. I emboldened and underlined it, and I even put an exclamation mark at the end of it so as not to confuse people. See:
Yes, you did. My apologies for missing that. Regardless, it definitely settles the question. Thanks for your measured reaction.

Fair enough. I hoped that by making it as absurd as I did that nobody would take it seriously, but if people can't accept satire then so be it, I'll bend over. Personally, I feel that such people should be burned in a big fire, which is one of the reasons why Obama didn't pick me as Attorney General.
I know how you feel, and I tend to feel the same way. Problem is I am charged with keeping the peace here, and when you come down on one side or the other it invites abuse and hyperbole that we really don't need or want. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

However, getting reviews such as yours (which obviously are the result of much time and effort) is always good and beneficial, so carry on!
Old January 26 2010, 05:05 PM   #107
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

When my former workplace sends me a cheque for the work I did a few years ago then I'll concede that you have a point, until that time I'll point out to you that most of us don't work in jobs where we get paid for the things we did many moons ago. In fact, I specifically remember that the contract I signed for one of my jobs made it explicitly clear that anything I do during work hours or on company property is legally theirs. That was especially odd considering it was a call-centre.
Your misfortune. That's not what our contracts - freely signed, as yours was - are like, and at least one more reason to wish to be a professional writer rather than an employee at a call center (although, considering the princely remuneration we generally receive from such royalties and residuals, it's often necessary to do both).

Whatever the terms of your employment may have been, they have no bearing whatever either on how professional publication or writing for the entertainment industry work or how they ought to work.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 05:28 PM   #108
apenpaap
Commodore

Kegg wrote: View Post
Oddly enough this was a key scene for the person who got me into the show. He insisted for him it was a moment where it was first indicated how different this show was from Star Trek; after all, Garibaldi totally would have killed Londo just there. When on any Star Trek would a regular castmember have threatened to do that to another regular castmember?
Here.
Old January 26 2010, 05:30 PM   #109
Kegg
Rear Admiral

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
When on any Star Trek would a regular castmember have threatened to do that to another regular castmember?
Here.
DS9 'inspired' by B5 again!
Old January 26 2010, 06:00 PM   #110
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think Sisko was being figurative. Garibaldi was most defiantly being literal. Don't get me wrong, I love DS9 to bits but it's a completely different animal and there's really no point in comparing them.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 06:03 PM   #111
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
Oh, of course he was, I was being tongue in cheek. I thought he was going to link me to, say, "Amok Time", where Spock would have killed Kirk - that's a much better example.
Old January 26 2010, 06:38 PM   #112
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Still, not even then since he wasn't exactly in his right mind. Garibaldi was lucid, rational and deadly serious. PPGs after all, don't have a stun setting.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 07:06 PM   #113
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
I can tell you for certain that JMS' scripts were *never* freely available with his permission. Ever. They weren't pulled down when the script books were planned, they've always been pulled any time they were found.
I fail to see how pointing out that JMS has always been a cocksucker is a good defence.

Nice.
Old January 26 2010, 10:57 PM   #114
JoeD80
Captain

I spend around 15-30 minutes a day putting together these short reviews, and when it comes to season recaps it can take 2-3 hours. And there are days like today where I just don't feel like doing it because I'm tired and pissed off by a shoddy service I was provided with this morning and it has ruined my whole day. But I sat down and I wrote it out, not because I'm being paid, but because I know some other people like to read them.
Try writing for 12+ hours per day. It's strange how one would want to be paid for the work they are providing that's making the studio millions of dollars. The thing is, the writer doesn't get to share in most of it, but the script is the writer's property, so if he wants to charge for it to make a little more, it's his choice. A lot of scripts are sold in bookstores for this very reason. If the script is available online, fewer people buy the book and then it's harder to make your next couple of rent payments while you are trying to secure your next job. In the US a writer does not get a permanent job with a studio. We're hired on a show-by-show and season-by-season basis. A contract can be as short as 6 weeks. After that, if you don't continue on the same show, you are OUT OF WORK and NEED extra money, possibly for a whole year or more while you are waiting for the next season in television or out trying to apply elsewhere and prove that you have other skills than writing.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 11:47 PM   #115
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Now that I know that the OP thinks writers who stand up for their rights and who expect to be compensated properly for their work are "cocksuckers" under contract I'm not interested in what he thinks about B5 or any other piece of creative work. He just doesn't get it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 01:13 AM   #116
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Dennis wrote: View Post
Now that I know that the OP thinks writers who stand up for their rights and who expect to be compensated properly for their work are "cocksuckers" under contract I'm not interested in what he thinks about B5 or any other piece of creative work. He just doesn't get it.
I've read all of his review threads and they're all really good but I was surprised at his remarks about JMS putting up the scripts. I have no problem with Joe having them taken down. It seems reasonable to me.

I was interested to read your thoughts on B5, though. I knew you didn't like it but your reasoning was interesting. I don't agree (I love this show) but I do understand where you're coming from a lot better.
Old January 27 2010, 02:41 AM   #117
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I spend around 15-30 minutes a day putting together these short reviews, and when it comes to season recaps it can take 2-3 hours. And there are days like today where I just don't feel like doing it because I'm tired and pissed off by a shoddy service I was provided with this morning and it has ruined my whole day. But I sat down and I wrote it out, not because I'm being paid, but because I know some other people like to read them.

But today I have decided to exercise my rights as the writer of these reviews to be reimbursed for my time doing this. If you want to continue read them then you, and only you Mysterion, must transfer €250 into my PayPal account. Everyone else gets to view it for free, but I've decided that you have to pay for the privilege, and you're not allowed to question my wisdom on this because you have no right to read my words without my consent. And because I'm such a neat guy I'll even knock €100 off the price, so now you can read these reviews for the bargain offer of only €149.99! I'll even throw in an autographed picture of me. If you don't pay me and you read a single word of my reviews I will consider it copyright infringement, and even though I'm such a nice guy that I wont pursue legal action, you'll know what you've done.

If you want to pay then send me a PM and I'll send you the details for my PayPal account.
By all means, go post your stuff on a pay-for-access website and see how many people value your wit and wisdom as much as you do. Willing to bet that number will not be as quite as large as you might think it will be. Until then, you're just being whiny.
Old January 27 2010, 02:55 AM   #118
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

How about we just let the issue of script remuneration go, huh? It's beginning to get annoying.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 03:01 AM   #119
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

I'm quite surprised at the lack of tolerance for tongue-in-cheek smarmy attitudes in this thread. But then, I've gotten used to GodBen's writing style from his other reviews. Guess it can be off-putting at first.
Old January 27 2010, 03:27 AM   #120
Harvey
Admiral

Well, this got out of hand quickly.

Uh, look, I have all 15 JMS scriptbooks, plus the 3 'Other Voices' scriptbooks, as well as the chronology book. I'd be happy to look up anything for you TheGodBen, since these scripts are (a) no longer available online and (b) no longer for sale, except from overpriced re-salers. Just PM me. Jan is also a very helpful resource, since she knows the scripts (and B5) far better than I do.

Love your reviews, which are even handed and have a well-needed sense of humor. Keep it up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote