RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,669
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 487
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 3 2010, 03:37 PM   #1636
Truth_Seeker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Truth_Seeker's Avatar
 
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Delenn is promoted to the position of Red Ranger. Neroon doesn't like this, so he threatens to kill her. But look out, because Ron Moorcus isn't about to let that happen, so he fights Neroon in a match to the very-near death. This is a much more interesting story, and it finally addresses the situation with the Minbari leadership that I've been wondering about since Severed Dreams. This plot has its problems, but I mostly enjoyed it.
I usually rewatch this episode just because of the B story.
__________________
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
"V For Vendetta"
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:24 PM   #1637
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Truth_Seeker wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Delenn is promoted to the position of Red Ranger. Neroon doesn't like this, so he threatens to kill her. But look out, because Ron Moorcus isn't about to let that happen, so he fights Neroon in a match to the very-near death. This is a much more interesting story, and it finally addresses the situation with the Minbari leadership that I've been wondering about since Severed Dreams. This plot has its problems, but I mostly enjoyed it.
I usually rewatch this episode just because of the B story.
Yes, the A-plot's the clunker of the season, but the B-plot saves the episode. Neroon's always welcome on my screen, and the Minbari leadership issues TGB acknowledged are of course greatly important to the ongoing arc.
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:39 PM   #1638
JoeD80
Captain
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'll always remember you maintenance guy whose name didn't even get into the credits.
He's in the end credits as "Maintenance Worker".
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:42 PM   #1639
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'll always remember you maintenance guy whose name didn't even get into the credits.
He's in the end credits as "Maintenance Worker".
His parents named him well! Prescient of them.
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:57 PM   #1640
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

^Oh that's nothing, the woman featured often in season one was named "Dome Tech", how about that for specific career prediction?

'Grey 17 Is Missing' is one of those notoriously poor episodes that even JMS recognises as well below par. Why he didn't just dump the A story and make the Delenn/Neroon plot the main story we'll never know.
As for the plausibility of Grey 17 going unnoticed, it's thin as wet tissue paper but it's possible as B5 was made on a tight budget (the actually ran out of cash) and was rushed into finishing. Add to that Grey Sector is essentially uninhabited, consisting mostly of big ass heavy machinery, thick shielding and whole sections that have been sealed off since the station went online, it's possible it was over looked. As for noticing the power, air and water consumption, remember back in season 2 Grey Sector was labelled the "B5 Triangle" with reports of strange lights, weird noises, and people vanishing. One assumes that the Zarg and the eternal cult of fingerless glove wearers are responsible for at least some of this.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:10 PM   #1641
Truth_Seeker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Truth_Seeker's Avatar
 
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Oh that's nothing, the woman featured often in season one was named "Dome Tech", how about that for specific career prediction?
The same applies for poor Joshua Cox (Lt. Corwin).
He appeared in 35 episodes and most of the time he was credited as "Tech 1" or "Tech 2".
__________________
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
"V For Vendetta"
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:27 PM   #1642
Can
Commander
 
Can's Avatar
 
Location: Istanbul , Turkey
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

'Grey 17 Is Missing' God did you have to remind me that particular episode ? A non entitiy / persona monster named "Zarg" ( maybe irony in the lameness of the name ) + Robert Englund ( no other than original Freddy Kruger ! ) and his weido cult + Garibaldi pulling a McGywer and saving the day + a decent Delenn / Neroon / Marcus conflict....

Except ther last addition I do not understand why an episode using this combination was written and aired...
__________________
"Assimilate This !" - Worf , Star Trek : First Contact

Last edited by Can; May 3 2010 at 08:24 PM.
Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 09:59 PM   #1643
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

The Mythbusters should try that steampipe/bullet trick. I think I can pretty much guarantee it won't work.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 06:01 PM   #1644
Vestboy
Captain
 
Vestboy's Avatar
 
Location: Austin, TX
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Reverend wrote: View Post
'Grey 17 Is Missing' is one of those notoriously poor episodes that even JMS recognises as well below par. Why he didn't just dump the A story and make the Delenn/Neroon plot the main story we'll never know.
I think it was one of those "We need to get moving on shooting episode 19 and I don't have time to rewrite" things.

I do think it's interesting that even at this phase of Babylon 5, JMS was still in the mindset that he had to keep the show episodic, maintaining a degree of stand-alone in almost every episode.
Vestboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 06:00 PM   #1645
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Wow, episode 20?! Where has this season gone? I thought I was still in the 15/16 region.


And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place (***½)

I've been trying to figure out where I knew Lord Refa from, but I just couldn't place him, and imdb didn't help either. But I finally figured it out! He sounds like Frankie Boyle doing an impersonation of a Silvio Berlusconi. And that's where I thought I knew him from.

I liked Lord Refa, he may have been a genocidal madman with no empathy for other people, but he sure was fun to watch. I'm not too upset about this death, it was his time, though I will miss his conversations with Londo. I admit I didn't see the twist coming, but I'm not too sure what actually happened. Did Londo really strike a secret deal with G'Kar? There's a conversation I would have liked to have seen. I know they couldn't because of the surprise ending, but it still would have been fun. As for Refa's death, I understand what they were going for with the gospel music, but I didn't feel it worked with the slow motion shots of Refa running and being beaten. Maybe it's a personal preference thing.

Meanwhile...

Sheridan needs to get laid. First he doesn't see a pattern to the Shadow attacks, the next second he sees one, and the episode ends with him and Delenn reaching first base. (How come I don't know the rules of baseball at all yet I know about the various bases?) My favourite moment of this story was the scene involving Sheridan and the Reverend (who was not Billy Dee Williams ) in the middle of the night, although I still don't know why the Reverend thought it was okay to wander into Sheridan's office in the middle of the night with the excuse that he didn't think anyone was in there.

Scott Bakula: 49
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 06:07 PM   #1646
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
As for Refa's death, I understand what they were going for with the gospel music, but I didn't feel it worked with the slow motion shots of Refa running and being beaten. Maybe it's a personal preference thing.
This is one of my favorite moments in the entire series and it worked perfectly. So awesome with the intercutting of people celebrating and Refa getting what he deserved. Poetic justice indeed.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 06:17 PM   #1647
Can
Commander
 
Can's Avatar
 
Location: Istanbul , Turkey
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Wow, episode 20?! Where has this season gone? I thought I was still in the 15/16 region.


And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place (***½)

I've been trying to figure out where I knew Lord Refa from, but I just couldn't place him, and imdb didn't help either. But I finally figured it out! He sounds like Frankie Boyle doing an impersonation of a Silvio Berlusconi. And that's where I thought I knew him from.

I liked Lord Refa, he may have been a genocidal madman with no empathy for other people, but he sure was fun to watch. I'm not too upset about this death, it was his time, though I will miss his conversations with Londo. I admit I didn't see the twist coming, but I'm not too sure what actually happened. Did Londo really strike a secret deal with G'Kar? There's a conversation I would have liked to have seen. I know they couldn't because of the surprise ending, but it still would have been fun. As for Refa's death, I understand what they were going for with the gospel music, but I didn't feel it worked with the slow motion shots of Refa running and being beaten. Maybe it's a personal preference thing.

Meanwhile...

Sheridan needs to get laid. First he doesn't see a pattern to the Shadow attacks, the next second he sees one, and the episode ends with him and Delenn reaching first base. (How come I don't know the rules of baseball at all yet I know about the various bases?) My favourite moment of this story was the scene involving Sheridan and the Reverend (who was not Billy Dee Williams ) in the middle of the night, although I still don't know why the Reverend thought it was okay to wander into Sheridan's office in the middle of the night with the excuse that he didn't think anyone was in there.

Scott Bakula: 49
Z minus 14 baby !

When Londo grrrr'd to Vir at first I assumed that he really must have gone to dark side to be that harsh to only friend he had. In fact he had but complately for wrong reasons. He made an eleborate plan to eliminate Refa in a treacherous Centauri way. And final kissing scene between Sheridan and Delenn behind a fleet of White Stars supposed to be emotional ? I don't know...
__________________
"Assimilate This !" - Worf , Star Trek : First Contact
Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 06:26 PM   #1648
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Refa's death is one of my favourite scenes. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what to think- which was partly why I loved it. I was grinning like an idiot, but I wasn't sure how I felt. I knew only that I loved this scene and that it was great- I knew it just worked for me, and I'd work out how I felt later.

Poor Lord Refa! No, seriously! I feel really bad for him yet I laugh every time too! And quite dark of G'Kar, as well- interesting, though, and it shows that his epiphany and related character development haven't made him willing to forgive or work things through all the time- in some extreme cases he's still the ruthless G'Kar from Season One.

I always wonder if Refa dreamt his death like Londo, and if he always had a feeling Narns would kill him, perhaps a contributing factor in his eagerness to crush them?

And the Reverend Dexter was good- particularly his relationship with Brother Theo. Theo's "oh, Rapture" when he hears that there'll be singing makes me laugh every time .
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 08:17 PM   #1649
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Walkabout (***)
Get used to hearing this word about nine billion times.
__________________

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 08:00 PM   #1650
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Shadow Dancing (***½)

This is a very difficult episode to rate once again, part of me thinks it deserves 8/10, while another part of me is worried about the nature of the Shadows. You see, while watching the big fleet battle I realised I was not emotionally engaged by it, I didn't feel the same tension or excitement that I felt back in Severed Dreams. I felt that I knew something about the Evil Earth Alliance back then and I wanted the rebels to win the battle because they were fighting against a force I knew was wrong. With the Shadows I have no understanding of their motivation, they just have big black ships that are blowing things up for some reason. It's possible I'll finally get that revelation in the next episode, I guess I'll find out tonight.

On a side note, I think my brother showed me this battle a few years ago as an attempt to entice me, although he kept the sound down so that I couldn't understand what was being said. But I do remember ships being blowed up real good in that nebula while Sheridan and Delenn walked around. Of course, I was thinking "Sacrifice of Angels looks cooler than this" but that's because SoA came two years later, and I'm an insufferable little runt.

Meanwhile...

Dr Franklin meets himself and realises that he's a horrible person. I can identify with that. Okay, Franklin literally meeting himself while dying was a bit much, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the scene, and Franklin's realisation that he has been running away from things all his life was worth the hour I spent watching the episode. It's a pity they kept cutting away to that battle though. Whatever happened to Franklin's dad anyway, does he still work for the Evil Earth Alliance? Or did he rebel? Or did he die? I guess I'm not supposed to know.

Z minus 3 hours.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babylon 5, episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.