Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 13 2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Freman
Fleet Captain

LOST Series Finale = WTF???

Okay, I love LOST. Just finally got around to watching Season 6, and have to say I was completely disappointed with the way they ended the series. I mean, not only did it end the way I predicted it would end way back before the first episode even aired, but I have more questions about the show now then I did throughout its entire run.

So the characters are all dead? The flash-sideways segments of Season 6 were a limbo realm the characters were inhabiting while they waited to "move on"? What?
Okay, fine.

BUT....

Why were Kate, Sawyer, and Claire shown to be ready to "move on" in the flash-sideways, but they are also on the plane leaving the island? Why are Frank, Richard, and Miles also on the plane? Why is Miles shown in the flash-sideways (apparently not ready to move on) but Frank and Richard aren't? For that matter, why were Ben and Hurley shown in the flash-sideways, but they are both still on the island? I'm not getting this? Are the people on the island/plane still alive? If that's the case, how do you explain the Sawyer/Kate/Claire thing?

And where are all the other characters in the church scene? There should have been a few more, right? Eko? Michael? What the hell? lol

Yeah the ending left me totally confused, and the 12 minute "New Man in Charge" epilogue, while cool, just made my confusion worse. Ben and Hurley are in the flash-sideways, with Hurley definitely "moving on" but then once again we are shown that they are now picking up ppl who need to return to the island? Nice to see Walt one last time, though.

And what about Vincent?
Old October 13 2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: LOST Series Finale = WTF???

The limbo thing takes place many years in the future supposedly. They were all waiting on each other to "move on."
Old October 13 2011, 06:51 AM   #3
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Did you not listen to a single word that Christian said?

While they were all on the island, they were very much alive. Only the flash-sideways were the purgatory. Christian told Jack that some of them died before him, and some of them long after. They were not dead all along.

As for Eko, most believe that he was already at peace with himself before his death, and therefore had already moved on. Michael was trapped on the island as one of the Whispers, because of his crime.
Old October 13 2011, 06:56 AM   #4
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Did you not listen to a single word that Christian said?
I swear no one did.

A friend of mine thought they were all dead from the beginning, they weren't.

Everyone dies, the limbo is only waiting for the people who have died whenever they did, to meet up again in "heaven".
Old October 13 2011, 07:30 AM   #5
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Well, I think everything I would have said here has already been covered.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Freman
Fleet Captain

No, I heard what he said. I was having problems figuring out when exactly they died, and why Kate, Sawyer, Miles and Claire were all in both the flash sideways and shown escaping the island. And why weren't Richard and Frank in the flash sideways?

Ah, and that would be why Ben and Hurley came to get Walt, so he could help Michael to move on?

Ok, so the plane crashes, everything on the island is actually the real world, the flash sideways are limbo? So really, when it comes right down to it, they ended the show without actually explaining what the island really was. Lame.

Maybe I should rewatch the entire series from the start. Maybe it'll make more sense that way? lol

Last edited by Freman; October 13 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Freman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 07:58 AM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Try to view the series as being about the people rather than about the mysteries and you'll be a lot more satisfied.

To paraphrase Christian, some of the people arrived there earlier while others arrived later. Put another way it's outside the time-space continuum...when you die you get there, but everyone has basically arrived at the same "time".

The escapees did escape and probably lived out decent lives and died much later...or maybe the plane crashed in Los Angeles or something. It's not really the point.

I would think Frank and Richard weren't there because they weren't strongly connected to the people who were. Richard would much rather see his wife than anyone else, and Frank...well, Frank was too cool for the Losties anyhow.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Just finally got around to watching Season 6, and have to say I was completely disappointed with the way they ended the series.
Welcome to the club.
Old October 13 2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Freman
Fleet Captain

I can see Richard not being there, but I would think Frank was close enough to a lot of them that he should have shown up.

Was Miles in the church? I can't remember. I would definitely think he should have been.

Last edited by Freman; October 13 2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell today.
Freman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 10:27 AM   #10
The Green Mushroom
Commander

I didn't like it. It wasn't because the series ended in a way which I expected, which it didn't, or because the series didn't end in the way I wanted, which it didn't. I didn't like the ending because it felt pointless.

It really seemed and still seems to me that the first four or so seasons did not build up to the final season being about a conflict between two spirits/brothers/demigods/whatever to keep the evil one on the Island. I really felt that the entire Jacob/MiB thing was tacked on, possibly as late as the fifth season finale. It just didn't work for me.

I can almost rationalize the entire series based on that conflict--the Others are having their wacky adventures because letting anyone and his mother come and go might release the Anti-Jacob; Jacob engineers things so people who will accept his mission are brought to the Island; yada, yada, yada. It even almost makes sense if one accepts that the Island is purgatory and people are only there to fix their problem and move on--except for the part about everyone coming and going and the fact the powers that be said it isn't purgatory.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 12:49 PM   #11
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Freman wrote: View Post
Ok, so the plane crashes, everything on the island is actually the real world, the flash sideways are limbo? So really, when it comes right down to it, they ended the show without actually explaining what the island really was. Lame.
The island was a cork.

I didn't like the finale either. Thought it was basically perfect, seemed like it was going to wrap everything up, then it got to the last ten minutes and just as you thought you were going to find out what the island actually was etc...there's Christian. Ugh.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I agree doing that makes the ending a bit better. However they have spent years telling us that all the other stuff was just as important. Then to just jettison it at the end, bad form.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Try to view the series as being about the people rather than about the mysteries and you'll be a lot more satisfied.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 04:49 PM   #13
davejames
Vice Admiral

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
It really seemed and still seems to me that the first four or so seasons did not build up to the final season being about a conflict between two spirits/brothers/demigods/whatever to keep the evil one on the Island. I really felt that the entire Jacob/MiB thing was tacked on, possibly as late as the fifth season finale. It just didn't work for me.
I agree there was a bit of a shift to something more mystical and spiritual, but I was fine with it. It was becoming increasingly obvious that with all the weird stuff constantly happening on the island, it was going to be a stretch to come up with a strictly hard scifi explanation for it all.

And it's not like the series had never explored those spiritual aspects before that point. There was a heavy supernatural vibe to the show almost from the beginning.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I agree doing that makes the ending a bit better. However they have spent years telling us that all the other stuff was just as important. Then to just jettison it at the end, bad form.
This. The show spent the better part of four or five seasons dishing out mysteries, clues, hints and overall bullshit. Only to have it all not matter. I don't recall while watching the show wondering what the greater meaning of Jack's journey was and what questions he would ask himself as he died and went into the afterlife.

No, I wanted to know what the fuck was going on with the island!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Scout101
Admiral

Freman wrote: View Post
I mean, not only did it end the way I predicted it would end way back before the first episode even aired
Ok, nonsense. Impressive that you managed to predict something that even the writers didn't know yet, but other than an attempt to 'win' the internet, no way that statement makes any sense.

So, your prediction (before the first episode, mind you. If you hadn't seen ANY of them, what were your predictions based on?) was that everyone would live out their normal lives, with some dying, some escaping the island, and then they'd all be reincarnated to an essentially parallel reality, live in THAT reality until they all met up, remembered the first life, and went on to the afterlife?

No, pretty sure the show didn't end the way you predicted. I mean, it sounds stupid just SAYING the way it ended, forget trying to string it together and make sense
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote