Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 24 2010, 01:48 AM   #1
StarshipDefiant
Captain

How many Decks/Levels does Galactica have?

I've (or the nerdy technical person in me) have wondered how many decks/levels Galactica has, I don't seem to find a real answer anywhere. The show itself was somewhat inconstant with this, because I've heard announcements (or read the subtitles/captions really) referring to decks numbering in the twenties, while dialogue refers to them in episodes with most episodes having people get from one room to another like most of the areas (seen on the show anyway) were on the same deck, if not accessible on the same deck in some sort of fashion. Any thoughts on this?
Old January 24 2010, 03:36 AM   #2
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: How many Decks/Levels does Galactica have?

Galactica is 602 feet tall. Assuming a deck height of fifteen feet (those A-shaped halls were pretty high), that comes out to about 40 levels.

I'm sure there was some sort of elevator system on the ship, maybe even a horizontal tram of some kind, but they probably wanted to avoid the Star Trek cliche of turbolift conversations (not really a surprise, since Star Trek was avoiding the cliche, too. How long was it before we saw the inside of an elevator on "Enterprise"?), so people always walked or, at most, took the stairs up or down one level.
Old January 24 2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

David cgc wrote: View Post
Galactica is 602 feet tall. Assuming a deck height of fifteen feet (those A-shaped halls were pretty high), that comes out to about 40 levels.

I'm sure there was some sort of elevator system on the ship, maybe even a horizontal tram of some kind, but they probably wanted to avoid the Star Trek cliche of turbolift conversations (not really a surprise, since Star Trek was avoiding the cliche, too. How long was it before we saw the inside of an elevator on "Enterprise"?), so people always walked or, at most, took the stairs up or down one level.
I can't remember ever seeing one about the Galatica in the orignal. We saw the tram-like vehicles that carried the Viper pilots.

Have to admit that I thnk the horizontal lifts aboard a warship are probably a bad move. Take up a lot of space, inefficient for moving large numbers of people about in an emergency and pretty much unusable when the felgarcarb hits the fan.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old January 24 2010, 06:58 AM   #4
nx1701g
Admiral

I read somewhere (I believe it was Battlestar Wiki) that the Galactica was supposed to have around 25 decks. I think that they quoted it to the BSG Magazine from a few years ago.
Old January 24 2010, 11:08 PM   #5
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I don't recall the Galactica OR Pegasus having any kind of elevators... I mean, we never even saw what might be elevator doors anywhere... only access hatches and cabin hatches, so I would assume the only way to get places on a Battlestar is stairs. We know they have elevators for bringing craft into the hangar deck, but I don't think they use them for people.

As for the deck count... I know of two sources that "could" be considered factual, or a best-guess... the BSG Wiki, or the BSG RPG Corebook. If anyone has any photos of set props that show a deck chart, that would be an official source to go by, as well.
Old January 25 2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

Someone, even someone associated with producing the show, should come up with a nuBSG tech manual or even deck plans of the Galactica, Pegasus, Cylon basestar or even over ships in the fleet.
I wonder if the Cylon basestars have a quicker way of moving people and centurions around since the basestars have at least 74 or more decks, if the information on Adama's moving boxes is correct. Though it's never been shown on-screen, moving from the upper decks to the lower decks of a basestar and visa versa must be like traversing the floors of a 80 story skyscraper. I doubt the centurions would be complaining about multiple flights of stairs though
Old January 25 2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I always imagine characters running about everywhere, Spaceballs style.

Skip to 8:30 onwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgQX...3A2D8&index=46
"The ship is too big. If I walk, the movie will be over"
Old January 25 2010, 03:46 PM   #8
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
Someone, even someone associated with producing the show, should come up with a nuBSG tech manual or even deck plans of the Galactica, Pegasus, Cylon basestar or even over ships in the fleet.
Something that many of us wish existed. Sadly, I think that since BSG is done and there seems to be scant few things coming out for it (officially licensed, anyway) I doubt we'll ever see a tech manual. That, and the fact that RDM never wanted to get mired down in the realm of treknobabble, those kinds of things were likely never kept track of and whatever effort that might come out after the fact would be disjointed, incomplete and not well thought-out.
Old January 25 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
BolianAuthor

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

That doesn't mean there cannot be a fan-produced tech manual... as long as it's filled with as much on-screen fact as possible, and the least amount of pure speculation, it should be a worthwhile product. I know I'd be totally willing to help with such a project.
Old January 25 2010, 10:28 PM   #10
StarshipDefiant
Captain

I'd do what I could, the confusing thing is, I think they chose not to say what was where because they wanted to be able to allow dramatic licenses to have people go certain places without looking like they had to change levels. That I find kind of lame though, I have no idea why it's so limiting to say Adamas Quarters are on a certain deck and leave it at that...
Old January 26 2010, 04:30 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

About the most specific thing we do know about Galactica's internal layout is that the hangar deck is four minutes away from CIC.
Old January 26 2010, 09:26 AM   #12
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Also I think there's enough to say that CIC is "deep" in the "alligator head" of the ship. but that could mean anything, really.
Old January 27 2010, 12:28 AM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
Also I think there's enough to say that CIC is "deep" in the "alligator head" of the ship. but that could mean anything, really.
I think Ron Moore once said that CIC is supposed to be in the exact centre of the ship.
Old January 27 2010, 01:04 AM   #14
BolianAuthor

^

That would be consistent with having the hangar decks be 4 minutes away.
Old January 27 2010, 10:35 PM   #15
StarshipDefiant
Captain

I guess it would actually, a part of me feels like the "alligator head" is still where it is, but the exact center works to, considering the design of the room and area surrounding it,