Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 29 2011, 10:14 PM   #1366
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

Old March 29 2011, 10:22 PM   #1367
sonn
Lieutenant

You get this video if the time runs out. It might hint at the people who are in your squad in ME3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJCtr3uyZ4
sonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 11:28 PM   #1368
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Interesting. One of those shots looks like something one of the audio logs mentioned.

Did anyone else think the face design for Dr. wos'name was *really* odd? I mean I know ME faces have a habit of being a little strange (Ashley's lazy eye for one) but I was so distracted by her too-close-together crossed eyes and fat lower lip that moved with about as much expression as a Gerry Anderson puppet that I had a job to pay attention to her dialogue. It was especially incongruous because Hackett's face model was fantastic. Indeed, unless I'm mistaken the textures and image maps on that model looked far better than anything else in the game proper. A borrowed asset from ME3 perhaps?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 11:51 PM   #1369
Skywalker
Admiral

Hackett's face was designed specifically for that character, like the faces for the default Shepard and every one of his companions in both games, whereas Kenson's face was just made from the general character creation software, which isn't exactly the greatest.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 12:25 AM   #1370
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Just got done with it. Only took me 2 hours to get through on my sniper and pretty "meh" overall. Too much linear combat, not enough dialogue (disappointed there was a renegade interrupt but no paragon one at the end there.) Doesn't hold a candle to LotSB, but honestly I wasn't expecting it to.
Old March 30 2011, 12:59 AM   #1371
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 02:22 AM   #1372
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Okay how do I use my personal terminal without triggering the message from Hacket?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 05:14 AM   #1373
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Finished the arrival, was a fine ending and yes the fact there was no paragon option sucked. but heck my paragon actions have all been messed since I missed out on getting Jack loyal and to that end i didn't cry when she died.

I have about 900 rounds of heavy ammo I don't use. My standard weapon seems to eat through shields fast enough and i switch to another weapon for armor piercing. I play as an engineer.

all in all, I tried to warn the colonies, and I would like to know why they wanted me alive. Is it wrong of me to have had reload that part a few times to see if I could live?
Old March 30 2011, 11:27 AM   #1374
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Hackett's face was designed specifically for that character, like the faces for the default Shepard and every one of his companions in both games, whereas Kenson's face was just made from the general character creation software, which isn't exactly the greatest.
That's pretty much what I assumed. Still, you'd think they'd at least check that her face was at least serviceable. Regardless, I think it's safe to say there mere fact that they went to the trouble to design a face for Hackett is a good indication that he'll be featured fairly prominently in ME3, most likely as Shep's main point of contact given Anderson has supposedly quit the citadel in the novel set right after ME2 and it's possible for players to have told the Illusive Man to bugger off.
Old March 30 2011, 04:51 PM   #1375
Skywalker
Admiral

I hope so. Hackett's awesome.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 08:18 PM   #1376
Saquist
Commodore

-Brett- wrote: View Post

I agree it was a little...

Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 08:37 PM   #1377
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Saquist wrote: View Post

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 09:28 PM   #1378
Reverend
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post

I agree it was a little...

(the rest of this isn't really spoilery if one has completed ME2 already, so I'll leave off the tags)

Regarding the nature of mass relays; if I remember this right from the codex, relays have some kind of stasis field that protects them from damage over time. This also makes them effectively impenetrable. As for the Citadel, it's stated that there are whole sections that are inaccessible and between the automated systems and the Keepers, the station essentially runs itself and automatically adapts to the needs of the inhabitants. Any initial suspicion would have eventually faded as several millennia of habitation proved the station to be apparantly benign.

It's also worth remembering that the Reapers are extremely advanced and intentionally built these things to be easily used but next to impossible to truly understand, so it shouldn't be surprising that they camouflaged much of their true capabilities. Additionally, give that the Keepers have a habit of self-destructing if interfered with, it's not much of a leap of logic to presume the Citadel or the Mass Relays might react similarly to an invasive investigation. In short, everyone's very happy that these things work and nobody wants to risk loosing them in a foolish attempt to poke around where they're not welcome.

As for Omega, I'm pretty sure the Terminus systems wouldn't react well if any of the citadel races decided to blow up the Omega-4 relay, taking their de facto capital and central commercial hub with it. The fact that in ME1 the council was so afraid of a war with the Terminus systems that they refused to send a fleet after Saren. If the mere appearance of a fleet is liable to set them off, think what a blatant act of terrorism would provoke. Aside from that, a LOT of money and trade moves through Omega and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair portion of that (officially or otherwise) flows right from the Citadel.

As for the Collectors, as had been repeatedly stated, they were very rarely seen, practically a myth and there were only unconfirmed reports of their ships transiting from the Omega-4 relay. Remember that the human colonies in the Terminus systems were independent and not part of the Systems Alliance. The colonists were warned that they were taking a risk by colonising planets outside the official protection of the Citadel Council. So when they start disappearing, it easy to put it down to pirates, slavers, or just hostile races.

Hackett is clearly a seasoned officer and trusts his instincts. Remember, he's the one that recommended Shepard to Udina for Spectre candidacy at the start of ME1, so right from the start the Commander had earned his respect.

As for Ash and Kaiden's reactions, I think it was mostly born out of shock that Shepard was still alive, that they had to find out second or third hand and that their Commander had apparantly betrayed the Alliance and defected to Cerberus. Hackett on the other hand is a big picture kind of guy. Plus if you romanced either Ash or Kaiden, you get an apology e-mail shortly after Horizon.

P.S. Here's and interesting bit of ominous foreshadowing for anyone that's completed Arrival; once everything is done and dusted, go back into the galaxy map and check out where the Normandy is suddenly parked...
Old March 30 2011, 09:53 PM   #1379
Saquist
Commodore

One assumes the Reapers have been hauling arse at FTL from wherever they were parked out in the intergalactic void ("darkspace") to this Alpha Relay--presumably the closest--ever since Sovereign failed to activate the Citadel; so the best part of two years or more. It's never stated exactly how fast FTL drive is, just that the relative speed is proportional to the type and size of a given vessel's drive core. Given what we know about Reaper tech, it's safe to assume they can move *very* fast even without the relays, though obviously not so fast that they don't need relays to cross the galaxy in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, destroying the relay means that they'll have to continue at standard FTL to the next nearest relay. Depending on where that may be it could mean several more months or years of travel (we don't yet know exactly what the span of time will be between ME2 & 3 or for that matter how long a period ME2 covered leading up to the suicide mission.)
This is where logic comes in. Shut down all the relays. It potentially gives the Galaxy hundreds of years if not a millenia to stop the Reapers from crossing the intergalactic void quickely...

Build a fleet to stop them and then go after them...

Regarding the nature of mass relays; if I remember this right from the codex, relays have some kind of stasis field that protects them from damage over time. This also makes them effectively impenetrable. As for the Citadel, it's stated that there are whole sections that are inaccessible and between the automated systems and the Keepers, the station essentially runs itself and automatically adapts to the needs of the inhabitants. Any initial suspicion would have eventually faded as several millennia of habitation proved the station to be apparantly benign.

It's also worth remembering that the Reapers are extremely advanced and intentionally built these things to be easily used but next to impossible to truly understand, so it shouldn't be surprising that they camouflaged much of their true capabilities. Additionally, give that the Keepers have a habit of self-destructing if interfered with, it's not much of a leap of logic to presume the Citadel or the Mass Relays might react similarly to an invasive investigation. In short, everyone's very happy that these things work and nobody wants to risk loosing them in a foolish attempt to poke around where they're not welcome.
Didn't they say that all there technology is based on Mass Relay tech? The protheans had to have access to at least one relay in order to know how to make one...it did look exactly the same as a real relay...

As for Omega, I'm pretty sure the Terminus systems wouldn't react well if any of the citadel races decided to blow up the Omega-4 relay, taking their de facto capital and central commercial hub with it. The fact that in ME1 the council was so afraid of a war with the Terminus systems that they refused to send a fleet after Saren. If the mere appearance of a fleet is liable to set them off, think what a blatant act of terrorism would provoke. Aside from that, a LOT of money and trade moves through Omega and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair portion of that (officially or otherwise) flows right from the Citadel.
Yeah but how much of a threat could the terminus systems be. These systems are populated by a loose affiliation of minor species, united only in their refusal to acknowledge the political authority of the Council or adhere to the Citadel Conventions.

The wiki describes them as "raids"
Not really a threat against the Citadel Fleets and their Dreadnoughts.

As for the Collectors, as had been repeatedly stated, they were very rarely seen, practically a myth and there were only unconfirmed reports of their ships transiting from the Omega-4 relay. Remember that the human colonies in the Terminus systems were independent and not part of the Systems Alliance. The colonists were warned that they were taking a risk by colonising planets outside the official protection of the Citadel Council. So when they start disappearing, it easy to put it down to pirates, slavers, or just hostile races.
True but I'm talking about after the fact of discovering the true nature of the Collectors. Why go in after them...Why not just shutdown or destroy the relay like they did here?

[/QUOTE]Hackett is clearly a seasoned officer and trusts his instincts. Remember, he's the one that recommended Shepard to Udina for Spectre candidacy at the start of ME1, so right from the start the Commander had earned his respect.[/QUOTE]

I remember.

As for Ash and Kaiden's reactions, I think it was mostly born out of shock that Shepard was still alive, that they had to find out second or third hand and that their Commander had apparantly betrayed the Alliance and defected to Cerberus. Hackett on the other hand is a big picture kind of guy. Plus if you romanced either Ash or Kaiden, you get an apology e-mail shortly after Horizon.
Yeah but it has the appearance of a contrivance because they have the same reaction as though they were the same personality. Other situations of characters in ME are more character based occurences.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 10:04 PM   #1380
bullethead
Fleet Captain

One assumes the Reapers have been hauling arse at FTL from wherever they were parked out in the intergalactic void ("darkspace") to this Alpha Relay--presumably the closest--ever since Sovereign failed to activate the Citadel; so the best part of two years or more. It's never stated exactly how fast FTL drive is, just that the relative speed is proportional to the type and size of a given vessel's drive core. Given what we know about Reaper tech, it's safe to assume they can move *very* fast even without the relays, though obviously not so fast that they don't need relays to cross the galaxy in a reasonable amount of time.
Now, destroying the relay means that they'll have to continue at standard FTL to the next nearest relay. Depending on where that may be it could mean several more months or years of travel (we don't yet know exactly what the span of time will be between ME2 & 3 or for that matter how long a period ME2 covered leading up to the suicide mission.)
This is where logic comes in. Shut down all the relays. It potentially gives the Galaxy hundreds of years if not a millenia to stop the Reapers from crossing the intergalactic void quickely...

Build a fleet to stop them and then go after them...
If you shutdown the relays, you effectively kill your own infrastructure since the economies of the Citadel and Terminus powers are based on relay travel. Plus without the relays, there's no way for a fleet to quickly cross the galaxy to face the Reapers, since Reaper FTL drives are obviously superior to normal ME drives since the Reapers apparently don't need to discharge their drive cores and non-relay based ME drives have really terrible performance based on that conversation Ashley had with her sister in ME1.