IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 22 2011, 11:36 PM   #1276
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

The Mako was fine. At least you didn't have to worry about it blowing up if you got hit by a stiff breeze.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 12:24 AM   #1277
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Artemis wrote: View Post
The mako could climb the highest mountain!

Seriously, that thing could go anywhere.
Funny I tried that when going after the Cerberus Base you find out about on Pharos and it couldn't do that.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
The Mako was fine. At least you didn't have to worry about it blowing up if you got hit by a stiff breeze.
1) All you have to do is retreat out of enemy firing rang till it self repairs.

2) The only thing going for the Mako is the shield which after it goes down you need large amounts of Omni gell to repair it if it gets blasted enough while retreating or taking that last group of enemies out and the Hammerhead self repairs way faster then the Mako Shield recharges.

3) The independent turret control kind of sucks when all you can turn with the Mouse is the turret and you have to stop to turn then damned thing EVERY DAMNED TIME THE ROAD BENDS, plus better thrusters would probably make short work over mountain climbing then tires that never find any damned traction.

Oh and on the unrealted subject of the PS3 version I though I would point out some interesting things.

1) Pharos gets the shaft in the comic as they totally skip it in the story and just do Virmire and Noveria then hit Illos.

2) I think one of the preorder armors is in the PS3 Cerberus Network package.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 12:37 AM   #1278
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

The Mako looks like something from hard sci-fi.

The Hammerhead is a GI Joe toy.

Independent turret control and shields make it a tactically viable vehicle. You can actually use armored tactics, wheras with the Hammerhead you either

A) Jump up and down from behind a nearby rock
B) Jump up and down from behind a faraway rock
Old February 23 2011, 12:49 AM   #1279
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Well, there's your problem. You're playing a game that was designed for consoles on a PC. I heard the ME1 port for the PC had some issues like that.

And yeah, Feros gets the shaft, but since nothing of any real consequence happens there (ooo, you get "the Cipher," big whoop), I don't have a problem with it being ignored.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 01:05 AM   #1280
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
1) All you have to do is retreat out of enemy firing rang till it self repairs.
That isn't quite so useful on Insanity. You don't have time to retreat unless you were already on the very fringe of enemy firing range anyways.

2) The only thing going for the Mako is the shield which after it goes down you need large amounts of Omni gell to repair it if it gets blasted enough while retreating or taking that last group of enemies out and the Hammerhead self repairs way faster then the Mako Shield recharges.
The Hammerhead self-repairs faster, but the Mako does self-repair without omnigel. Especially if you save and reload.

3) The independent turret control kind of sucks when all you can turn with the Mouse is the turret and you have to stop to turn then damned thing EVERY DAMNED TIME THE ROAD BENDS, plus better thrusters would probably make short work over mountain climbing then tires that never find any damned traction.
Eh. In general I find third-person to be frustrating with mouse/keyboard, so poor controls for that are not something endemic to the Mako as far as I'm concerned.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 01:37 AM   #1281
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Oh and on the unrealted subject of the PS3 version I though I would point out some interesting things.

1) Pharos gets the shaft in the comic as they totally skip it in the story and just do Virmire and Noveria then hit Illos.
Feros was the least interesting of the core planets anyway.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 01:55 AM   #1282
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

You should get the official Mako Mountain Climbing Team t-shirt.

Sadly, it's no longer available over at the BioWare store.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 02:37 AM   #1283
Reverend
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
A new patch on the PS3 version of the game has been released and it has info on trophies for the upcoming DLC, which is to be named "Arrival".

Very mild spoilers: http://thegamingliberty.com/index.ph...d-arrival-dlc/

Arrival, eh? The arrival of the Reapers or someone else?
Given that the scientist mentioned in the new achievements is the one in that last Cerberus News story before it shut down--the one who "discovered" the Mass Relays are older than the Protheans--I'd say it's most likely Reaper related.

What I find interesting is it looks like they may be playing with some kind of sneaky MGS-esq stealth mechanic. Nice to see them changing things up a bit.

..and then fall right off it again...

I know we've had this discussion already but really, my only problem with the Mako had more to do with the design of the terrain than the vehicle itself...once you learn how to control the bumper-car-crossed-with-a-shopping-trolly handling.

With the hammerhead they just way over compensated and actually made it a little worse in most ways.

-Brett- wrote: View Post

Feros was the least interesting of the core planets anyway.
Hey, Feros was VITAL! It's where you get to acquire yet another Asari groupie! Seriously, what is it with Asari and Shepard? They're either out to kill him/her or desperate to get into his/her armour.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 11:38 AM   #1284
Artemis
Lieutenant Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post
Seriously, what is it with Asari and Shepard? They're either out to kill him/her or desperate to get into his/her armour.
It's a charisma/aura thing. *rolls eyes*

In the Kasumi dlc, when Shepard talks to the kasumi advertisment, she says she could tell he/she is the real Shepard because of the "aura". I mean...wtf?

Got an urge to bang my head against the table.

(It just occured to me that kasumi might have been sarcastic. In that case, ignore me.)
Old February 23 2011, 02:17 PM   #1285
ATimson
Rear Admiral

In the Kasumi dlc, when Shepard talks to the kasumi advertisment, she says she could tell he/she is the real Shepard because of the "aura". I mean...wtf?

We are talking about the same player character who glows when they max out paragon/renegade, right?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 23 2011, 02:28 PM   #1286
Artemis
Lieutenant Commander

Are we? Who glows? I glow? I mean, shep glows? As in sparkle?
Old February 23 2011, 02:36 PM   #1287
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Certainly as a renegade, unless you buy the medbay upgrade on your ship...

Old February 23 2011, 03:13 PM   #1288
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Seriously, what is it with Asari and Shepard? They're either out to kill him/her or desperate to get into his/her armour.
It's a charisma/aura thing. *rolls eyes*

(It just occured to me that kasumi might have been sarcastic. In that case, ignore me.)
Yeah, I think Kasumi was taking the piss somehow. However there was that Asari that delivers the Rachni queen's message, I think she waffled something about recognising Shepard's aura.

If course I can't complain too much because if the opportunity arises, at least one of my Shepards fully intends to have a fling with that ex-commando from Feros...probably my male renegade Shep. That bloke's a complete dog. He's already done it with Jack, seduced Miranda only to go cheat on her with Tali.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Certainly as a renegade, unless you buy the medbay upgrade on your ship...
You know I can't help but wonder if they'll maintain that mechanic for ME3 or just leave the scaring as-is and do something different. If the former then by the end of the game a renegade won't have much of a face left! Come to think of it, they'd be somewhat similar to Saren; perhaps that was intentional? Never occurred to me before.

Last edited by Reverend; February 23 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old March 20 2011, 09:05 AM   #1289
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Managed to stop playing DA2 long enough to notice some new Mass Effect 2 DLC has been announced for release in just over a week's time. There's also a few screenshots on the official site. Not much to be gleaned from them save that some of the action will take place on the outside of a ship close to an active relay...and Hackett finally gets a face!
Old March 20 2011, 09:12 AM   #1290
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

I was thinking of uninstalling ME2 but this final DLC will make me delay that for a bit.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote