Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 9 2010, 01:16 PM   #931
Jax
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

I dunno the Twitter comment makes it seem like something bigger.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 01:59 PM   #932
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Another thing I really, really enjoyed was the "Dossiers" console. I think I spent over an hour just reading through all of them.

Gotta love the World of Fantasy references BioWare keeps making
They're getting perilously close to ruining the lore by trying to be cute though. Ironically, sort of like WoW.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 02:35 PM   #933
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

^ Nah, I don't agree. They're not overdoing it at the moment - a couple of funny NPC soundbits and text files, but that's it.

I don't even think WoW overdid it, they ruined the lore mostly because of gameplay concerns, not because of a couple of pop culture references.
Old September 9 2010, 02:42 PM   #934
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

The Turian Game Stop clerk on the Citadel broke the fourth wall for me unfortunately. But I suppose since the "references" relatively minor, it doesn't matter too much.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 03:09 PM   #935
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Don't forget there was also Conrad's line about talking to people who look like they're standing around waiting to tell him his problems, between rooting through crates for extra credits...it's clear the developers aren't above having a little fun at their own expense. I wouldn't say any of it breaks the fourth wall, but it defiantly leans on it.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 04:07 PM   #936
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
[...] Anderson meeting secretly with someone in a Cerberus uniform on the presidium [...]
Maybe I should watch it again, but I thought that was supposed to have been Shepard, tying in with the dossier notes. From what I could make out in the video, the Cerberus operative looked enough like my Shepard. Can anyone confirm if, as a female Shepard, the person in the video is male on your run as well?

Jax wrote: View Post
I dunno the Twitter comment makes it seem like something bigger.
Possibly, though I'm not sure what it would be if there is. In response to a question ("you mean being able to respec allies, finance missions, get resources, watch videos, etc.? Or something else?"), her answer was pretty fairly simple.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 04:08 PM   #937
SPCTRE
That Wizard

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
[...] Anderson meeting secretly with someone in a Cerberus uniform on the presidium [...]
Maybe I should watch it again, but I thought that was supposed to have been Shepard, tying in with the dossier notes. From what I could make out in the video, the Cerberus operative looked enough like my Shepard. Can anyone confirm if, as a female Shepard, the person in the video is male on your run as well?
It's always the same male Cerberus operative. So Anderson definitely was in contact with them at some point.
Old September 9 2010, 07:52 PM   #938
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Is it my imagination, or is Bioware learning to integrate cover into the environment more naturally? There were a couple times when I thought "Wait, they can't attack me here! There's no convenient set of waist high boxes!"
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 08:47 PM   #939
SPCTRE
That Wizard

^

BTW, Extra Credits over at The Escapist are discussing a choice in Mass Effect 2 in their latest episode:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...nriching-Lives
Old September 10 2010, 09:32 PM   #940
Reverend
Rear Admiral

That was...surprisingly interesting. The moral choice wasn't lost on me during my first play-through and I recognised that either option was diabolical. In the end I chose to look at it in terms of the end result and sacrificed the right of the heretics to self determination in order to give the total population of the galaxy a marginally better chance of surviving the Reaper invasion. Even choosing not to play the mission and leaving them as they were would have in all likely hood only meant that they ended up like the Collectors and the Keepers; just another victim of the Reapers. So in a way there are three options for their fate: enslavement, annihilation and loss of free will.
Old September 10 2010, 09:33 PM   #941
bullethead
Fleet Captain

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
It's always the same male Cerberus operative. So Anderson definitely was in contact with them at some point.
It could be that Anderson was talking to one of Shepard's crew, trying to get info on what you were doing in order to clear your name.
Old September 10 2010, 10:06 PM   #942
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

[...] In the end I chose to look at it in terms of the end result and sacrificed the right of the heretics to self determination in order to give the total population of the galaxy a marginally better chance of surviving the Reaper invasion. [...]
Same choice I made, for the same reason. Likewise, I did my best to dissuade the quarian Admirality to neither renew war against the geth nor seek to retake Rannoch, but rather to instead maintain the Flotilla.

bullethead wrote: View Post
It could be that Anderson was talking to one of Shepard's crew, trying to get info on what you were doing in order to clear your name.
Interesting that you bring up that possibility. Ever since finishing the game and telling the Illusive Man to stuff it, I've wondered how my Shepard can trust the Cerberus crew. Joker, Doctor Chakwas, and the suicide team recruits are all above reproach, but who knows whether the rank-and-file crew are loyal to Shepard or to Cerberus?
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 11:09 PM   #943
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ Based on overhearing the various crew dialogues and from talking to the cook and the two engineers, I get the impression that the crew were mostly recruited because they had a specific and invested interest in what the Collectors were doing to the colonies. If there was any fanatical die-hard Cerberus types on the crew it was Miranda and I'm pretty sure my Femshep brought her on side since she also told IM to go fudge himself.

Same choice I made, for the same reason. Likewise, I did my best to dissuade the quarian Admirality to neither renew war against the geth nor seek to retake Rannoch, but rather to instead maintain the Flotilla.
I honestly can't remember exactly what I did in that regard on my first play-through. I think I wished them luck in getting back their homeworld but didn't particularly encourage them into war with the Geth. Actually I think it was that which also influenced my decision to brainwash the heretics.

Yeah and that Asari Matriarch was just gazing forlornly at a framed photo of Liara because they were just friends . . . but who here seriously believes that?
The rules of circumstantial evidence doesn't normally apply to an artificially and deliberately constructed narrative.
Old September 11 2010, 04:05 PM   #944
Jax
Admiral

^

BTW, Extra Credits over at The Escapist are discussing a choice in Mass Effect 2 in their latest episode:

Love that new show
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 06:12 PM   #945
SPCTRE
That Wizard

Jax wrote: View Post
^

Love that new show
Yup, highly recommendable

In other news, Gamasutra has a very nice analysis of FemShep's popularity among ME players. Needless to say, I whole-heartedly agree with the author