Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 22 2010, 02:28 AM   #586
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 2

Reverend wrote: View Post

While we're on the subject, I've been wondering about the non-combat gameplay elements; I'm sure we all agree that neither the ME2 scanning nor the ME1 bouncy-flippy mako gameplay were quite right, I wonder if the solution would be a combination of the two. You'd still scan planets, but only for landing sights like with the N7 missions and once down you get your little patch of alien dirt to drive around on, but instead of relying on a limited range radar (and assuming the hover tank handles better than the mako) you have a directional scanner that'll let you home in on anomalies without having to tredge over every inch of dirt to make sure you don't miss anything.
Ya know, in ME1 you could go to your map on the pause screen and plant a flag on your destination, this gives you a directional arrow to follow.

Anyways, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion in this thread about the Insanity difficulty. I'm on my second play-through and doing Insanity this time, the first was on casual.

I'm wondering how other people might have dealt with the fan room in the Mordin mission. I've done some googling and haven't found much to help me.

I'm playing a 30th level Vanguard(special ability: Reave) with Miranda and Zaeed. I don't know why people think she is such a must on insanity, she's constantly dying whether I micromanage her or not.

The last Krogan on the second fan always kills me because I'm so low on ammo and one or both of my squad mates are already dead, and I'm out of medi-gel, thanks to Miranda.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by The Master of Tarquin Hill; March 22 2010 at 02:50 AM.
The Master of Tarquin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 03:26 AM   #587
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post

While we're on the subject, I've been wondering about the non-combat gameplay elements; I'm sure we all agree that neither the ME2 scanning nor the ME1 bouncy-flippy mako gameplay were quite right, I wonder if the solution would be a combination of the two. You'd still scan planets, but only for landing sights like with the N7 missions and once down you get your little patch of alien dirt to drive around on, but instead of relying on a limited range radar (and assuming the hover tank handles better than the mako) you have a directional scanner that'll let you home in on anomalies without having to tredge over every inch of dirt to make sure you don't miss anything.
Ya know, in ME1 you could go to your map on the pause screen and plant a flag on your destination, this gives you a directional arrow to follow.

Anyways, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion in this thread about the Insanity difficulty. I'm on my second play-through and doing Insanity this time, the first was on casual.

I'm wondering how other people might have dealt with the fan room in the Mordin mission. I've done some googling and haven't found much to help me.

I'm playing a 30th level Vanguard(special ability: Reave) with Miranda and Zaeed. I don't know why people think she is such a must on insanity, she's constantly dying whether I micromanage her or not.

The last Krogan on the second fan always kills me because I'm so low on ammo and one or both of my squad mates are already dead, and I'm out of medi-gel, thanks to Miranda.

Any thoughts?
Do you have any squad ammo enabled? Squad Incendiary Ammo should help Miranda and Zaeed take out the vorcha quicker. Also, don't waste medigel reviving squadmates unless you're on the Collector Ship. Squad AI sucks and they'll die anyway.

BTW, what did you pick from the weapon specialization/training thing on the Collector Ship?
Old March 22 2010, 03:40 AM   #588
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post

Do you have any squad ammo enabled? Squad Incendiary Ammo should help Miranda and Zaeed take out the vorcha quicker. Also, don't waste medigel reviving squadmates unless you're on the Collector Ship. Squad AI sucks and they'll die anyway.

BTW, what did you pick from the weapon specialization/training thing on the Collector Ship?
No squad ammo and I picked the dumbass shotgun upgrade instead of learning the AR. The Vorcha's don't really matter much since I have reave and incendiary ammo. The real problem is that my HW was emptied on the 3 krogans before this room.
Old March 22 2010, 04:07 PM   #589
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post

Yes I do know and it's irrelevant. The flag only serves as a guide to a point on the map that you select. It doesn't help you find minerals or anomalies that aren't already pre-marked. To find them you have to drive up to or past them and spot them on the short range radar. Without using walkthroughs or guides, the only way to make sure you don't miss anything on the one mile square of dirt you're allowed to joyride in, you have to systematically "sweep" back and forth until you've covered the entire map. Combined with the drunken Dalek on a bouncy castle handling, it makes for a deathly boring and frustrating gaming experiance. By contrast, the scanning in ME2 is only boring.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 04:48 PM   #590
clint g
Admiral

Yes I do know and it's irrelevant. The flag only serves as a guide to a point on the map that you select. It doesn't help you find minerals or anomalies that aren't already pre-marked. To find them you have to drive up to or past them and spot them on the short range radar. Without using walkthroughs or guides, the only way to make sure you don't miss anything on the one mile square of dirt you're allowed to joyride in, you have to systematically "sweep" back and forth until you've covered the entire map. Combined with the drunken Dalek on a bouncy castle handling, it makes for a deathly boring and frustrating gaming experiance. By contrast, the scanning in ME2 is only boring.
I for one am inclined to agree. Personally, I hope they totally ditch the resource aspect of the game and instead focus on making a couple of side quest planets or something.
Old March 22 2010, 06:10 PM   #591
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Agreed, maybe lots of missions to protect mining ships or colonies, either from raiders or rachni, things like that. You clear them out, you get a huge load of resources.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 06:22 PM   #592
Jax
Admiral

You would think Mass Effect 3 being the last game so the war will come to some sort of conclusion that you won't need to gather resources and will be given them and its up to you what to do with them.

You would figure
Old March 22 2010, 08:57 PM   #593
Reverend
Rear Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
I for one am inclined to agree. Personally, I hope they totally ditch the resource aspect of the game and instead focus on making a couple of side quest planets or something.
I wouldn't go so far as to ditch it altogether because then it'd just be a 3rd person shooter with a conversation tree...which I suppose it's pretty close to being as it is.

Part of what makes the "scanning" mechanic so tedious is that you can quite easily stock up on common minerals while you can spend ages getting the scarcer ones together for a specific upgrade, which unfortunately reduces the mechanic to pure grind. Perhaps the addition of a system whereby you can sell and/or trade surplus minerals on some kind of resource exchange or market that will allow you to make a choice to sacrifice a whole bunch of "Resource A" to get a little of the more precious "Resource D" or sell a bit of "Resource C" for pure credits that you can use to buy some extra equipment. Of course it would need to be balanced properly so getting loaded with credits and minerals isn't too easy and perhaps only have the trading/exchange stations at hub worlds like the Citadel, Omega, Illium etc, which each market having it's own set of local exchange rates.

So it'd be more or less profitable to trade certain minerals depending on where you are.
Old March 22 2010, 10:42 PM   #594
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, they're not going to turn the game into Freelancer (unfortunately).

That said, in terms of the story, it's fairly idiotic that they'd spend billions to both rebuild Shepard AND rebuild the Normandy but then cheap out on any of the upgrades.

I just imagine that it was a more substantial gameplay mechanic that they just forgot to improve upon... and they were so enamored with the "ship upgrades = save your crew" gimmick that they decided to keep it in rather than find some other way to have your crew potentially die.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 04:16 AM   #595
STR
Captain

firehawk12 wrote: View Post

That said, in terms of the story, it's fairly idiotic that they'd spend billions to both rebuild Shepard AND rebuild the Normandy but then cheap out on any of the upgrades.
Given that the SR-1 was less than a year-old (at least it seems to be, since it was blown up 3 months after the Citadel battle, and the thing was on its initial operational cruise at the beginning of ME1), and the state of the art when the SR-2 was being drawn up, it isn't unreasonable that certain technologies didn't make it into the final blueprint drafts.

Besides, some upgrades were made. They said the SR2 had more power. And somethings might be more easily acquired by Shepard than Cerberus alone. Friends in high places and all...
Old March 23 2010, 10:51 AM   #596
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I just imagine that it was a more substantial gameplay mechanic that they just forgot to improve upon... and they were so enamored with the "ship upgrades = save your crew" gimmick that they decided to keep it in rather than find some other way to have your crew potentially die.
Indeed, they even acknowledged it in ME2 where Mordin made fun of Spectres having to buy their own gear. Like the klepto impulse to buy, steal and horde gear, resource managment is one of those RPG tropes that many developers seam unwilling to loose no matter how illogical it might be. At least with ME2 they dumped that ludicrous inventory.
Old March 23 2010, 04:33 PM   #597
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, I might accept that Cerberus just didn't have the technical know-how to build the upgrades... but that doesn't explain why they don't have people mining Palladium somewhere so that they can ship it to you if you need it.

Kirk had some banal missions, I'm sure... but I don't think he had to mine some ore before heading to the Khitomer conference or whatever.

It's funny though, because Norman admitted at GDC that the mining was bad. I just wonder what they'll do next... I mean, at this point they might as well get rid of all resource management all together. Or they could just admit that they want to rip off Star Control 2 and have a 2d Mako driving mini-game.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old March 23 2010, 04:45 PM   #598
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Actually, I enjoyed the mining in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I thought it somehow gave the feeling that the universe was bigger.
Old March 23 2010, 07:25 PM   #599
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I don't consider the missions in ME1 to be mining missions... and really, I didn't mind the driving that much - it was just that the mountains were designed to force you to take least optimal paths... and really, it was just annoying how every time you landed on a planet, you chose to drop in a place with a giant canyon or a giant mountain.

Old March 24 2010, 01:39 AM   #600
clint g
Admiral

I don't consider the missions in ME1 to be mining missions... and really, I didn't mind the driving that much - it was just that the mountains were designed to force you to take least optimal paths... and really, it was just annoying how every time you landed on a planet, you chose to drop in a place with a giant canyon or a giant mountain.
That was definitely a big part of the problem. I didn't have much of an issue with how resource hunting went down int he first game. The only real problem is that the mountains made it a bitch and the sidequests all took place in the same freaking warehouse. If they fixed those too problems then perhaps they can salvage the resource missions.