Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 21 2010, 08:34 PM   #496
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

I guess it just doesn't make sense to create a consistent language and then have an actor record all those lines convincingly.

Too bad though, because if there's one place where it would be more practical, it would be in games.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 09:00 PM   #497
Deks
Rear Admiral

Well, KOTOR was bad in this retrospect because it only had a few words of 'alien' language that ALL aliens spoke.
It was repetitive and got tired after a while.

they just have to introduce much more variety and create a distinctly different language for each race (there's only a few of them in ME to begin with ... or at least few individuals you will be speaking with directly).

As it is though ... majority of alien races in ME behave exactly like Humans.
The language and swearing makes it look like Humanity indoctrinated everyone to the level of low-earth trash.

Their behaviour in terms of being actually 'alien' is not really present.
Old February 21 2010, 11:52 PM   #498
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Reverend wrote: View Post

I think one of the few TV shows that got it consistently right was B5, where you had aliens that had to actually learn English or use clunky, creepy sounding translators that did nothing for lip sync.

That doesn't explain why aliens consistently spoke English on their home planets when there were no humans around.

We just have to accept that this is one of those things necessary for proper story-telling. If they have to come up with a conceit such as universal translators, then so be it.
Old February 22 2010, 01:59 AM   #499
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think it's a given that in those instances they were actually speaking their own languages. It's just a TV show after all and nobody expects them to do whole episodes with subtitles. The trick with the consistency is that whenever humans are around, when you hear aliens speaking English, they're really speaking English. No humans, then their probably not speaking English.

The same type of logic applies to the old "sound in space" conceit. When the perspective is inside a ship with the characters, then they can't hear the explosions, weapons fire or engine noise that isn't coming from their own ship. When the perspective is outside then there's sound. It's just dramatic licence, like gunshots that sound several orders of magnitude more powerful than they should, or punches that sound nothing like the dull thud of knuckles connecting with mean and bone.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 08:14 AM   #500
Hermiod
Admiral

Took everyone's advice.

Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 08:27 AM   #501
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Took everyone's advice.

Old February 22 2010, 08:32 AM   #502
Hermiod
Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Took everyone's advice.

Old February 22 2010, 08:42 AM   #503
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

On my second playthrough I saved everyone by going as follows;

3rd playthrough now as Renegade Adept FemShep. Loads of fun!
Old February 22 2010, 08:46 AM   #504
Hermiod
Admiral

^

Old February 22 2010, 04:06 PM   #505
Saquist
Commodore

Is there a way to take screen shots on XBOX 360 other than pointing a camera at the screen?
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 04:23 PM   #506
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Saquist wrote: View Post
Is there a way to take screen shots on XBOX 360 other than pointing a camera at the screen?
Connect the video output to a video in on a computer, perhaps.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 06:46 PM   #507
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

^

The Mordin thing isn't a glitch, he just has a randomized chance, no matter where he goes, what he does or who he's with - in addition to the general odds the others work with.

I don't really have a problem with it, I just wish that all of the squadmates had it. Doing everything right shouldn't ensure everyone survives the "suicide mission". Real life doesn't work that way.

-----
UPDATE

Struggling to finish my second runthrough as a ManShep Paragon. Except for the occassional different side character from ME1 popping up and the different take on romances, Paragon is BORING. It's why Carth/Alistair/Kaiden suck so much. Renegade FemShep was so much fun, I just want to start up a NG+ now and forget the other playthroughs. When someone's all blah blah blah in a game, I don't want to understand their plight and save them from themselves, I want to shoot them in the face.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 06:50 PM   #508
Hermiod
Admiral

^I would find it very surprising if, after getting everyone loyal, spending ages finding enough materials to upgrade the ship thoroughly and picking the right person for every job, one of my team just died randomly - especially when (as much as I hate the bloody things) there's an achievement for keeping them all alive.

I'm their leader, it's my job to bring them all home safe, I would feel that I hadn't done my job if one of them died.
Old February 22 2010, 06:56 PM   #509
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

And that would be a valid reaction ... just like in real life. You think the guys in Afghanistan and Iraq don't want the No One Left Behind achievement?

Realistically, it shouldn't be possible to succeed in the mission WITHOUT losing at least half your team and most for bullshit reasons like the valves jam and the tunnel rat gets fucked no matter how fast you are, not hold the line "ra ra ra" actions after rousing speeches. It would certainly be more dramatic.

In ME1, my Renegade FemShep sacrificed Kaiden because he was with Kirahee on the distraction team. He was her love interest. That was a tough choice. Save the romance or secure the nuke? Granted, my FemShep wanted to romance Ashley and had to settle for best friends, but still, there was no way to save everyone.

ME2 should have done something similar, I think. Each team that was diverted should have had a chance to be overrun, isolated and left behind, captured and turned or something, above and beyond whether they were loyal and appropriate to the task.

Don't get me wrong, the end was fun and cool and all, but it could have been better.

Last edited by Base_Delta_Zero; February 22 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 07:01 PM   #510
Hermiod
Admiral

^It's entirely possible for that to happen, and it's your fault when it does.

It was hard enough choosing between Ashley and Kaiden in the last game and trying to convince Wrex to stand down (unfortunately, Ashley shot him).