Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 8 2010, 07:31 PM   #316
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Mass Effect 2

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the TrekBBS.
Now you need to go and post this in every thread on the board for accuracy's sake.
Old February 8 2010, 08:24 PM   #317
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I rotated my squadmates a lot to make sure they'd all be levelled up for the last mission (I didn't realise until later they keep pace regardless) but Tali was a favourite, even back in ME1. I'm just finding having Grunt and Jack around can be fun for a Renegade with the little comments they make when you do something nasty.

Actually, one of the very few niggling things that I was disappointed about with ME2 was the overall lack of the squad mates commenting or interacting. In ME1 you'd occasionally have the two people with you spontaneously have a unique little conversation. It added a nice sense of depth as if your character isn't the centre of the universe.

What class is everyone favouring btw? I just looked at the Bioware website and noticed a poll right there on the homepage. So far out 69399 people, 42% voted soldier, 22% for vanguard, 16% for Infiltrator and just about everything else is in the 5 - 10% zone. Seams as though the powers aren't as useful as the preview clips made them look. That or most people are simply for comfortable with an out and out shooter.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 08:26 PM   #318
Ryan
Commodore

John Clark wrote: View Post
I didn't use Mordin much (though he does have his funny moments)
"Flammable! Or inflammable! Forget which! Doesn't matter!"

My teams vary by mission. Miranda's usually a mainstay because she has strong attacks against tech and organics. I haven't really utilized Thane and Samara as much as I'd like to because they come so late in the game and Grunt mostly gets left on the Normandy because I'm a soldier and I don't want to waste a biotics/tech slot.

Garrus is usually a good choice when I don't know what I'm going into plus the nostalgia factor (Miranda/Garrus are an absolute killing machine on the final boss of the Tali recruit mission). I really wish I could justify bringing Tali out more but she's really been crippled against anything that isn't tech. I was hoping a maxed out combat drone would be useful but it's a complete waste of skill points.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 08:56 PM   #319
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Reverend wrote: View Post
What class is everyone favouring btw? I just looked at the Bioware website and noticed a poll right there on the homepage. So far out 69399 people, 42% voted soldier, 22% for vanguard, 16% for Infiltrator and just about everything else is in the 5 - 10% zone. Seams as though the powers aren't as useful as the preview clips made them look. That or most people are simply for comfortable with an out and out shooter.
I've been favouring the Engineer class, but that's just my personal preference.

As for squad mates, I rotate, but my personal favs are Garrus, Tali, Morden, followed by Miranda and Grunt. Now that I've unlocked Legion, I want to use him more, pity he only appears so late in the game
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 09:46 PM   #320
clint g
Admiral

I'm all about the infiltrator, though I rarely use the infiltrators powers
Old February 8 2010, 10:10 PM   #321
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

MaleShep: Soldier. FemShep: Infiltrator. Infiltrator is harder to play as during the combat, especially since I don't have the weapons I became accustomed to as a soldier. One day I'm going to go back and play all the way through ME1 and ME2 as an adept and see how different the combat feels with no military training.
Old February 9 2010, 12:19 AM   #322
Jax
Admiral

Anyone get this bug...

even if Grunt is loyal, Fortification will not be unlocked. This issue is also present on the PC version; however, you are still able to learn this ability.
Allegedly this issue has to deal with the Pyjack sidequest. If one does this quest before Grunt's loyalty mission, there is no skill lock.

This better not get him or me killed in the suicide mission.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 01:46 AM   #323
Skywalker
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So what are everyone's favorite two squad characters? I always use Miranda for her Overload ability and Samara once I got her, unless I'm fighting the Geth then I use Tali.
Garrus is my Shepard's buddy and right-hand man, so he's always on my squad, especially if I'm playing a Vanguard or a Sentinel. The other role was usually filled by Miranda.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 02:26 AM   #324
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm playing Paragon FemShep as a Soldier. I've become an expert at slowing down time and shooting a bunch of people in the face with a sniper rifle. It's pretty bad ass And once I finish a couple more N7 missions I will have done EVERYTHING and be ready to start the endgame with the Reaper IFF mission!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 03:18 AM   #325
Scherazade
Ensign

I played as a Male Adept and it was awesome. I barely fired my gun in the last half of the game. And I usually had Tali and Grunt/Garrus on my squad.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 03:38 AM   #326
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Anyone get this bug...

even if Grunt is loyal, Fortification will not be unlocked. This issue is also present on the PC version; however, you are still able to learn this ability.
Allegedly this issue has to deal with the Pyjack sidequest. If one does this quest before Grunt's loyalty mission, there is no skill lock.

This better not get him or me killed in the suicide mission.
Strange bug for sure. But having it locked shouldn't effect the end game. It's arguably his most useful skill though.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 04:01 AM   #327
Jax
Admiral

^ I have no prefered team really not found a balanced yet but not having his final ability makes me want to use him less for the suicide mission.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 04:08 AM   #328
ATimson
Rear Admiral

So, I finished the game on Sunday. Is it just me, or is the plot maybe half the length of the original Mass Effect, with more side quest padding?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 04:18 AM   #329
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure I'd call the loyalty and recruitment missions "padding". It's more like the game had an A story (Collectors) and a B story (building your team) and the two are interrelated... whereas ME1 only had a main story.
Old February 9 2010, 04:21 AM   #330
Mr Light
Admiral

I haven't started the end game yet but I definitely feel that ME1 had a vastly superior story. The geth were mysterious and cool and interesting and Saren was neat whereas the Collectors completely boring. Even the revelation of their true identity was only somewhat cool/shocking. The endless recruiting character missions just feels completely separated from the main story. Hopefully the ending is cool. I definitely prefer the gameplay and mechanics of ME2, just not its story.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote