Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 4 2010, 02:37 AM   #241
Ryan
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 2

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:38 AM   #242
Ryan
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So I just got the mission to recover the Collector IFF. How far along the story missions am I?
Close to the end. Finish off the loyalty missions before getting the IFF.
Old February 4 2010, 02:40 AM   #243
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah that's what I figured. It sounded like the beginning of the endgame.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:46 AM   #244
Jax
Admiral

Ryan wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
So I just got the mission to recover the Collector IFF. How far along the story missions am I?
Close to the end. Finish off the loyalty missions before getting the IFF.
Thats what I am doing (got onnly 2 left) and then going to explore and scan systems to pick up the hidden side missions and upgrade much as possible before getting the IFF and using the Omega Relay.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:56 AM   #245
Ryan
Commodore

Unless you need the elements to complete them, buy the upgrades. Scanning does nothing but make you poor and bored.
Old February 4 2010, 03:39 AM   #246
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Fuel and probes are so cheap that I don't think it's possible to be a in situation where you can't afford them. Not saying that it can't happen, but it seems to be very difficult to buy stuff in a way that leaves you with 0 credits.
It's 2700 credits to max out fuel/probes on a fully upgraded ship. Trust me, spend any serious time scanning planets and it adds up really fast (it's easy to put 12+ probes on a mineral rich planet, especially since they have 2-3 big element spikes even after the scanner says it's depleted).

To new players I'd recommend not even scanning planets until you need the resources for an upgrade. ME2 lets you explore the galaxy but there's just nothing interesting out there.
I bought nearly every upgrade and finished the game with over 100k credits... I dunno, I just never had a problem with money in terms of exploring. Then again, I didn't bother gathering resources after I upgraded everything (except for the Med Bay).

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 03:49 AM   #247
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Here's a good guide to minerals and N7 missions (the planets with asterisks next to them): Planetary Database
Old February 4 2010, 05:39 AM   #248
Ryan
Commodore

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I bought nearly every upgrade and finished the game with over 100k credits...
100k credits is low. We're talking upgrades here that cost 90k each. In the end I earned almost everything but it's still annoying to come up short.

I suspect this is a matter of knowing what to buy and when and completing some missions in a certain way (there's also the matter of character imports giving various credit bonuses).

But like I said, the real problem here is that the ability to spend credits is unlimited but the ability to earn them isn't.
Old February 4 2010, 11:57 PM   #249
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Unless you need the elements to complete them, buy the upgrades. Scanning does nothing but make you poor and bored.
You get the N7 missions via scanning, I spent a few joyful hours playing them because, hey, it's more Mass Effect 2. I don't see the need to fully upgrade everyone though because I'm at the end of the game. There's no value in a piece of equipment I'm never going to use.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 01:02 AM   #250
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Most of the upgrades for the party members are well worth getting, except for Grunt's krogan shotgun (mostly because shotguns suck in this game), because they increase the survivability of your team members during combat and you're going to get a lot of them anyway (particularly armor and weapon upgrades). There's only one upgrade for the ship that's truly a ripoff and you only have to worry about the thing it fixes if you play pure Renegade.

That said, I wish there were a few more upgrades to ship, since Garrus and Tali should have more to contribute, since they are a space combat nut and quarian with considerable engineering skills respectively.
Old February 5 2010, 01:05 AM   #251
Ryan
Commodore

Bishbot wrote: View Post
You get the N7 missions via scanning, I spent a few joyful hours playing them because, hey, it's more Mass Effect 2. I don't see the need to fully upgrade everyone though because I'm at the end of the game. There's no value in a piece of equipment I'm never going to use.
Yeah, from the list posted it looks like there's a bit over a dozen out of the 200+ scannable planetoids. I definitely wouldn't bother with scanning now. Just print out the guide and go straight to them.
Old February 5 2010, 01:11 AM   #252
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
Most of the upgrades for the party members are well worth getting, except for Grunt's krogan shotgun (mostly because shotguns suck in this game), because they increase the survivability of your team members during combat and you're going to get a lot of them anyway
Yeah but I'm past the end of the game. I got the upgrades I wanted while playing the storyline, sure, but I can't see the point in busting my hump trying to scavenge for them now. I'll play all the N7 missions I missed and that'll do me for this playthrough. I will have to try hard next though, because I loved this game like nothing else but it wasn't exactly a challenge on normal. It's also possible that a higher difficulty will make the upgrades more essential.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 01:39 PM   #253
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Just finished the game. I didn't think the ending quite had the epic feel of the end game for ME1. The end of ME 1 impressed the hell out of me and I was hoping for more.

As for money, the only time I ran out was because of a glitch of some kind. I returned to Omega for finish off a side quest before the end and stopped by the shops and saw that a bunch of stuff was for sale. I just bought everything without checking and went back to the ship, but there were no new options. I reloaded my save and went back, and all the upgrades on sale were the same ones I had purchased before and already researched. So I wonder if this glitch is causing some people to run low on money. Also towards the end game you seem to end up picking up upgrades that you already have so maybe there's some redundancy there.

Money is really kind of random. In one mission I'll take the time to hack to get 1k credits, but in some salvage a few feet away get 4k credits. It also irked me that getting hit or even exiting during a hack or bypass permanently ruins whatever you were working on.

I'm going to start a new playthough on insanity after modding the game. I've already changed the assault rifle so it shoots twice as many shots per burst but half the damage per bullet. I also turned one of the sniper rifles in to a heavy, slow machine gun with atrocious recoil. I'm going to see what I can do with the shotgun to make it not as terrible.
Old February 5 2010, 05:42 PM   #254
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Old February 5 2010, 07:21 PM   #255
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The only thing I don't like about Legion is that by the time you get him, the game is damn near over and you hardly get any time with him. Though yes, you can continue playing after a successful finale, but since I'd already done all of the loyalty & N7 missions there's nothing to do but buy crap you don't need anymore and freak out the customs agent on the Citadel.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote