Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 3 2010, 11:52 AM   #226
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

I think it's a valid way to limit your choices in an RPG. One of the minor issues I had with Fallout 3 was that before long you're sitting on enough money, weapons and armour to fund and equip a not so small army, which rather strains the credibility of a desolate wasteland.

Still, the limited credits in ME2 didn't stop me from buying all the models and pets.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 01:52 PM   #227
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, really, the other thing is that there just isn't much to buy. In terms of gear, it might as well not be an RPG at all.

Oh yeah, if you have an iPhone, that Mass Effect comic is up on the store for free.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 03:44 PM   #228
Mr Light
Admiral

Ugh, planet scanning is stupid and tedious. Still, it's faster than tooling around in the Mako. So where is the missing data chip in the Citadel, that the two people are arguing over? It's so weird to be playing a game without a walkthrough...

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 03:56 PM   #229
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So where is the missing data chip in the Citadel, that the two people are arguing over? It's so weird to be playing a game without a walkthrough...
Old February 3 2010, 04:37 PM   #230
Ryan
Commodore

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
They probably did that on purpose, making you choose which upgrades to prioritize.
Doubt it. Running out of credits means running out of fuel. Plus the player has no way of knowing what upgrades they'll find on a mission and how many credits they'll earn during the game.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 05:07 PM   #231
Vyse
Lieutenant

I ended up getting a new 360 (I was looking for an excuse to have one with an HDMI cable for my new HDTV anyway), I'm sending in the broken for repair at MS for free, and will sell that one as soon as it comes back.

I just finished the game last night, absolutely loved it.

I agree that the issue with credits is a real problem. I'm perfectly OK with not having enough credits through the main missions alone. However, there should be enough credits in the side quests, or have some kind of way to earn more credits. It is very annoying to have no way of earning enough credits to buy all of the upgrades.

I had one major glitch in my entire play through. I completed Grunt's loyalty mission. However, his loyalty ability was never unlocked.

Last edited by Vyse; February 3 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 07:08 PM   #232
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I have not ran into that problem yet, are people scanning the planets until they are depleted.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 07:28 PM   #233
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I have not ran into that problem yet, are people scanning the planets until they are depleted.
That would only cost more credits...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 07:54 PM   #234
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Mass Effect 2: Free Dr. Pepper Promo DLC Codes

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/...romo-DLC-Codes

Enjoy!
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 08:18 PM   #235
Vyse
Lieutenant

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I've found that is not the best way to do things. I found it unproductive and time consuming. Here is a link with some useful tips for scanning . I found that scanning intermittently works great, you really only need to find the big spikes.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:52 PM   #236
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Ryan wrote: View Post
They probably did that on purpose, making you choose which upgrades to prioritize.
Doubt it. Running out of credits means running out of fuel. Plus the player has no way of knowing what upgrades they'll find on a mission and how many credits they'll earn during the game.

Fuel and probes are so cheap that I don't think it's possible to be a in situation where you can't afford them. Not saying that it can't happen, but it seems to be very difficult to buy stuff in a way that leaves you with 0 credits.

Probably the only thing in the game without an economy are the mined resources, which you can get more of than you really need with persistence.

In a way, with this half measure, you almost wish they just gave up and went all the way into the realm of the shooter.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 12:18 AM   #237
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Absolutely brilliant game. I really felt like I was living in that universe, more than any other game in recent memory. I especially love:

Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 01:38 AM   #238
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I don't really see any problem with the credits. I've already purchased a crapton of upgrades and I've still got about 300,000 credits in the bank. Not to mention my Iridium, Platinum, and Palladium are all in triple digits (I've been having a really hard time finding planets rich in Element Zero).

By the way, does anyone use any of the full armor sets? I never bothered once I realized the helmet couldn't be toggled off/on like in ME1. I've just stuck with the N7 armor (plus upgrades) so I can see Shepard's face.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:06 AM   #239
Mr Light
Admiral

So I just got the mission to recover the Collector IFF. How far along the story missions am I? Is this close to the end of the game? I'm still doing all the side/loyalty quests first. BTW thanks for the scanning page link because it just cut my wasted time in half! It never occurred to me to just click it on and off as I move along! This is so much faster!

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:18 AM   #240
Ryan
Commodore

Fuel and probes are so cheap that I don't think it's possible to be a in situation where you can't afford them. Not saying that it can't happen, but it seems to be very difficult to buy stuff in a way that leaves you with 0 credits.
It's 2700 credits to max out fuel/probes on a fully upgraded ship. Trust me, spend any serious time scanning planets and it adds up really fast (it's easy to put 12+ probes on a mineral rich planet, especially since they have 2-3 big element spikes even after the scanner says it's depleted).

To new players I'd recommend not even scanning planets until you need the resources for an upgrade. ME2 lets you explore the galaxy but there's just nothing interesting out there.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote