Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 29 2010, 06:28 AM   #136
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

Saquist wrote: View Post
The best part was seeing MY Sheppard in the New Game. Lorenzo Sheppard. We should take pictures of our people and compare them on the site.
Julia Shepard, Spacer/War Hero/Paragon/Soldier
Took this shot when she started inadvertently romancing Garrus and I was like WOAH, wait a minute, sure as hell don't want that. Promptly reloaded and talked to him in a more neutral fashion. Need to keep her free for more potential hot lesbian sex with Liara in the future! Already turned down Jacob as well.

Old January 29 2010, 10:58 AM   #137
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Ugh, kind of annoyed that I can't carry over my xbox character to the pc version. I was hoping there would be some games for windows cross over there but I guess not. I looked online and saw some save game collections, but I didn't want to play the whole game with someone elses face or name. I'm a couple of hours in and I can already see where having a previous character would matter because people have said things that didn't coincide with my previous play through.

Still worth it I guess, being able to shoot with a mouse makes combat much more fun and less of an awkward slog through molasses. But it makes some of the dumb AI a little more noticeable. Once again though there are tons of places where you know it's a console game, particularly in the menus and the lack of being able to use the scroll wheel to scroll through mission text. Aside from the awesome opening segment the game has been kind of a typical bioware game. The lack of real character customization and gear kind of hurts the game for me, whereas DragonAge had a good amount of both. It's arleady starting to feel tedious. The story isn't interesting so far, the benefits to leveling up are kind of boring, and the gear choices are minimal. There's just not much of a reason to play on other than to hope for some more interesting story.
Old January 29 2010, 11:37 AM   #138
Jax
Admiral

Just picked up my copy from HMV £34.99, in store deal until January 30th I can't wait to play this later...I am hoping this becomes my first ever 9.5 rating game
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 11:51 AM   #139
crouteru
Captain

clint g wrote: View Post
BigFoot wrote: View Post
ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
should i play thru the first game, first, before i play this game? Or do you guys think it will matter?
crouteru wrote: View Post

I was wondering this too. It looks really good from what I've seen, but never played the first one...
Yeah I would strongly urge you both to play (and complete) the first one before playing ME2.
Indeed. Not only because you can carry your character from one game to the next but also because ME1 is one of the finest games of this console generation. Even if ME2 didnt exist, it would be a great idea to play ME1
Looks like I won't be playing either anytime soon -- my 360 has just died for the third time, less than a week after getting it back from being repaired the second time!!
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 02:01 PM   #140
Vyse
Lieutenant

crouteru wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
BigFoot wrote: View Post

Yeah I would strongly urge you both to play (and complete) the first one before playing ME2.
Indeed. Not only because you can carry your character from one game to the next but also because ME1 is one of the finest games of this console generation. Even if ME2 didnt exist, it would be a great idea to play ME1
Looks like I won't be playing either anytime soon -- my 360 has just died for the third time, less than a week after getting it back from being repaired the second time!!

Yeah, I'm on like my 6th or 7th 360. It's ridiculous. I went through three in a matter of weeks at one point. I imagine my store got a bad shipment.

The dilemma I face now is that I just got the three red lights on my current console this morning before heading to work. I have been saving for a new Mac, but I'm not sure if I want to take money away from that. I could send it in to MS for repair, since the red ring of death is covered. I just don't want to go without playing Mass Effect 2 for a few weeks! First the DVD drive stopped working well, I was just going to replace that myself, but now that I got the red ring of death I'm not sure. I'm really into Mass Effect 2, if this happened a few weeks ago, I would have just sent the thing in for repair. Decisions, decisions, lol.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 02:08 PM   #141
Mr Light
Admiral

Boy, I've had a 360 for two years now and I've never had a problem. I bought one of the old ones before the price cut, too. Guess I just lucked out!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 02:28 PM   #142
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I feel your guy's pain. Not that my 360 has ringed out, but the fact that it happened right when ME2 came out. Makes me sad that people are missing out.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 03:58 PM   #143
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Personally I think it's worth fixing the rrod yourself. If you have a drill and some experience with hardware it's not super difficult to do. I've fixed two so far, mine and a friends and neither have RR'd since the fix. (I fixed mine two years ago.) Costs about 15 bucks in parts, not counting if you end up ruining a drill bit. I know some people prefer to keep sending the system back, but losing the system for a month isn't really worth it to me.
Old January 29 2010, 04:09 PM   #144
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 on the same Xbox 360 I played the original game on in November 2007.

My Xbox 360 is a beast!
Old January 29 2010, 05:35 PM   #145
Vyse
Lieutenant

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Personally I think it's worth fixing the rrod yourself. If you have a drill and some experience with hardware it's not super difficult to do. I've fixed two so far, mine and a friends and neither have RR'd since the fix. (I fixed mine two years ago.) Costs about 15 bucks in parts, not counting if you end up ruining a drill bit. I know some people prefer to keep sending the system back, but losing the system for a month isn't really worth it to me.
I'm definitely considering that. I work for a school's tech department, so I fix PC hardware all the time (among many other things).
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 05:53 PM   #146
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I once fixed a friend's RODD using the towel method, though that is a bit ghetto.
Old January 29 2010, 06:36 PM   #147
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

The towel method just buys time though, it doesn't fix the underlying problem.
Old January 29 2010, 06:48 PM   #148
John Clark
Commodore

Just arrived this morning (UK). I'll probably disappear for a while soon. Got to give it a couple of different runthroughs
Old January 29 2010, 08:00 PM   #149
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Initiate rambling: -

Been playing it most of the day now and so far I'm loving it (just broke added Jack to the team.) Instantly a huge improvement on what was already a great game, this is one developer that not only listens to feedback but actually acts on it!

Couldn't help but smile that withint the first two hour I picked up in three Firefly references (New Canton, Blue Suns & "we'll be big goddamn heroes!" ) I'm pretty sure I caught at least one B5 reference, but I forget what it was.

It feels very weird playing with the same character from ME1 and instantly adds an enormous level of depth. As do the numerous little nods at continuity like the Doctor's story about "redshirt" Jenkins & Kaiden.

RE: the resource scanning. It's not perfect, but it's miles better than a Mako ride across a mountain range, where you're liable to flip over or suddenly veer in the wrong direction at a moment's notice. Perhaps if the scannign mechanic was supplemented by some form of market exchange system; selling excess resources on the open market and using the credits to buy up whatever you're lacking so you don't have to do nearly as much blind scanning just to stock up on one particular resource.

The new armour system is great. I hated in the old game how you'd invariably end up with tons of armour you didn't need or ones that had just slightly different stats but it looked like utter poo. With this system I can implement my black & green "Atreides" colour scheme I've been using since the Homeworld & Crimson Skies days.

The new Normandy fells much more like a real ship with crew quarters, a proper galley, a huge CIC and THREE bathrooms! The personal touches in the captain's quarters are rather nice. I've already got a bunch of model ships, fish, a hamster and my old N7 helmet. I thought having a picture of your character's main squeeze from ME1 was a nice touch (T'Soni in my case.) Not only the ship but the world as a whole feels much more real and lived in with allot less wide open spaces that serve no discernible purpose and so far not a single copy/pasted location! Oh and that Omega cityscape is right out of Bladerunner. Fantastic stuff!

/rambling
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 08:16 PM   #150
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I did my first party member side-quest last night for Miranda. A little predictable, but still a lot of fun. The mission to get Thane was a blast as well. Even though it is a lot of action, it is well designed action and none of the missions feel the same.

I also got my charge powered up all the way and it is a beast now. Especially when you use the shotgun.