Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

WHAT IS UP fellow Trekkenauts. I am a 39 yr old artist/writer living in Space City TX.

I have been a fan of Trek since watching ToS on re-runs in the late 70's (dubbed in spanish in Puerto Rico) and in the early 80's when my family moved to Houston and good ol' Channel 39 would show re-runs of ToS.
    I watched all the TREK cartoon show as well, and was always surprised to see how much better it was than every other cartoon out there at the time.
    I watched TNG from it's inception, growing to love it as much as ToS. I cannot explain how awesome it was to have Trek back, looking great, and with serious sci-fi topics explored.
    I also watched DS9 from it's inception, and it quickly became my favorite Trek (NINER 4 LIFE!) and then became my favorite television show ever. I could go on for days about how awesome DS9 is, and I will in the appropriate section of the TrekBBS.
    I still vividly remember the exhaustion I would feel after every tense DS9 episode, and not being able to sleep that Saturday night because I was too hyped up.
    I tried watching Voyager when it came out but it was dull. I stopped watching it when I saw that it was written very poorly, and that it was another "monster/alien of the week" show. Frankly, I thought the premise was stupid. I hate any TV show premise that builds it's own end into it. Because VOY was stuck far away, yet they had to continue a series, you knew that any possible clues or info or mechanism to get them back home was always going to b a red herring. why would they get them home if that meant the end of the show? (I call this the Gilligan's Island problem). It was a stupid premise for a show. Still is. Voyager sucks.

I tried watching Enterprise because I am one of the few Scott Bakula fans that seem to exist. I enjoyed Quantum Leap, even though it was an overly moralizing show for middle-aged and older women. ( ;) ) Enterprise seemed to head in a neat direction, but, like all prequels, suffers from the problem that we KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN!!!!! everything in the story, the drama, the risks, were also stupid red herrings, since we know the Federation will be successful, and that humans will succeed in exploring inter-stellar space. It too, seemed a pointless show, which was a shame because I really liked the cast on it, as opposed to VOY which suffered from the least charismatic collection of people yet put on a sci-fi TV show.

I love all the original crew movies, even undiscovered country! That one is heavy!!! I love how the OG movies allowed us to see the aging of the crew and the different dilemma's faced by older people as opposed to the cares and concerns of young officers. Kirk rules.

I love most of the TNG movies. I found them a bit too Data heavy though. In TNG he was one of the few to have any real character development, as opposed to being static characters. They went to this well too much in the movies I thought. I always wanted to see more of Geordie. My man LeVar Burton is in two of my all time fave TV shows, Reading rainbow and TNG. the last TNG movie was tedious and ugly. the best thing about TNG was that they upheld the innate nobility of all life. That last movie seemed to be written from a Hollywood script-writer POV, not a Trek POV. Killing off Data was pointless and mean I thought.

The new Trek film was fun, in that it drew a lot from ToS' action and adventure themes, but it lacked any real melodrama, any real morality tale. All Trek is based on morality tales, about the choices people make and the consequences of those choices. The new Trek movie was like a big sugar coated Trek Twinkie, that left you hungry for real cake.

I have yet to see the new flick, but I rewatched Wrath of Khan and it made me cry like a baby once again. My wife will not watch Wrath of Khan with me again because she really was hurt by seeing Spock die.

I know he was "resurrected" but the new Spock was a different creature altogether, more of a mystic rightfully due to his experiences in death. This was a great way to grow Spock beyond his robot-machine-like characterization. Spock re-born was a sage, but the original Spock died across the partition from his friend and captain. fuck it was so sad!!!!

I will give the new Trek flick a shot though, because I like big loud movies, but I want Trek to come back to TV, to explore the human condition once again on a weekly basis.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Welcome, new folks!

Mmh, living is "Space City", that's very fitting. :D

3. PennyJean

PennyJean Cadet Newbie

Hello, I'm brand new to Star Trek, and to science fiction in general, actually. I stumbled across the site when I was googling explanations for some of the things in the first two episodes of the original series (which is what I'm up to- so really very green to the show). Thought it would be fun to have somewhere I could ask questions and talk about the episodes!
    My absolute first reaction to the show was to be shocked at how attractive William Shatner was back in the day. My second was total lack of shock at how fine Leonard Nimoy was, since he floats my non-fangirl boat anyway. Hopefully I'll think of some more cerebral responses to the show.
    X Penny

4. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

The ladies did fall hard for Spock back when it first aired...

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

They still do.

Lenny is still a very handsome man.

6. Kelemane Clock

Kelemane Clock Cadet Newbie

Hi! I'm Austin. I'm 33. I like most of the series, but few of the movies. I wasn't a real fan of anything Trek other than TOS until the past couple of years.

Glad to be here! :borg:

7. Scully

Scully Cadet Newbie

Wotcher. I'm Ginny! I'm an absolute newbie to Trek. Literally started watching in January THIS YEAR. I started with Voyager because everyone I asked told me not to. It was probably the best choice I made >:) I've dipped my toes in to TOS, TNG and DS9 but not to the same extent as VOY. I'm reveling in having a totally new Sci-Fi show to explore and hope to get to know some of you guys!

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Welcome, everyone. :)

So, did you see the new movie(s), Scully or what prompted your foray into Trek?

9. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A warm welcome to the newbies! :techman: Make yourselves comfortable!

Scully, are you also an X-Phile? :p

Eh, nothing wrong with admiring handsome men. And, fortunately, Trek has a generous supply of them. ;)

You're right, Shatner looked pretty incredible back then. As for Leonard Nimoy...:adore:

10. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Long time trek fan, watched quite a few series of TNG while it was airing, then all of VOY, DS9 and ENT. Then stuck on for reruns. Never joined a trek site till now, too busy watching it and every other scifi show (well not quite every single one, but enough to get side ways glances from friends.) :P Glad to be here. Star Trek is a big reason I like designing things.

11. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome Halmirdax! I just got here, too.

I've been a Star Trek fan my entire life (quite literally...my second word was "Klingon"). I've seen every episode of TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY, and ENT. I'm two seasons into DS9, and am watching it in order.

Star Trek has played a huge part in my life, getting me through hard times and even playing a big part in my marriage (if you're curious, my story is in my second post).

I'm a huge fan of the "Abramsverse", and just saw STID for the 4th time last night.

This is my first time posting on a ST message board....I'm usually a lurker. It's good to find a positive, informative, and fun ST community! :techman:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  12. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Welcome Halmirdax! (And BlueMetroid! Good to have you as a participant, and no longer a lurker. ;))

Out of curiosity, Halmir - may I call you Halmir? - what other sci-fi shows do you enjoy?

13. Statja Q'bel

Statja Q'bel Ensign Red Shirt

Hi! New here too. First got into Star Trek as a teen, and as an adult, it is my favorite thing. I don't think I could get by without my daily ST fix. I love all the series, but I think I have the most fondness for Voyager, and DS9. I've recently started watching Enterprise again (decided to see if I can watch the shows in chronological order) and I am enjoying the show all over again. Nice to meet you all!

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm an old poster but I haven't regularly posted here in a long time. The combination of Mad Men Season 6 and the release of Star Trek Into Darkness unintentionally brought me back to regular posting.

It's like Pringles. Once you start, you can't stop.

I actually moderated this forum twice (2002-2003, 2004-2007), and have also moderated TOS, Future of Trek, and the ST XI forum when it first opened.

I work in public access television and am now also involved in independent films as a script supervisor.

I like the first four live-action series but TOS is my favorite.

15. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome Statia O'bel! I'm glad I'm not the only newbie! :)

And welcome back Lord Garth! I'm sure your extensive ST knowledge will be appreciated around here.

16. Statja Q'bel

Thank you for the greetings! I just noticed that it looks like my name is Statia O'bel, but it's Statja Q'bel. I think the underline beneath it cuts off the "j" and the "Q". oh well :lol:

17. Statja Q'bel

I understand that Houston is referred to as Space City, correct? I have some friends that work for NASA out there. Is Space City also a reference to the song by Drive-By Truckers?

As for the premise for Enterprise, I actually enjoyed it, even if we generally knew what was coming after that. I guess in my perspective, it is like a history class (in the future). For example, we know that the Nazis in WWII were defeated. But that doesn't mean what happened before that historically is insignificant. As humans, knowing our history is relevant to what could come in the future. I mean, most of us know the old saying "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." I think that applies in the Star Trek world as well.

For me, watching Enterprise, and seeing the early discussions of the Prime Directive, and the development of the Federation really interested me. I guess I'm just wonky that way. History has always fascinated me, and with that, so has futuristic fantasy and speculative fiction.

18. Elim Garakov

Elim Garakov Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi I m Elim Garakov Im been a fan for 3 years

19. Valora

Valora Cadet Newbie

Hello All!

I've been watching since for about 25 years, so most of my life.
    My favorite series is DS9. Also enjoy playing STO. Currently started back at college.

Happy to be here! :techman:

20. Trijnie

Trijnie Cadet Newbie

I have been a Star Trek fan from the beginning, I guess. When I was a little girl, we watched Star Trek in black and white on German tv. I live in The Netherlands and Star Trek was broadcast in Germany a few years before they started broadcasting it in The Netherlands. My younger sister and I watched every episode then and I think the series must have triggered something besides the general enthousiasm for it, because from that time onward (1968-ish) I have read and watched anything remotely resembling Sci-Fi. I am 51 years old and throughout the years my taste for SciFi has seasoned to more hard core SF, rather than fantasy.
    And although Star Trek, the original series is deeply engrained in my person, My favourite series is Star Trek, Next Generation. As a matter of fact, I stumbled upon this group while I was looking how to donwnload this series to my Ipad.
    ps Do you guys know that Leonard Nimoy tweets? -->@TheRealNimoy
    :vulcan: LLAP

Glad to be here!