Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

^You're confusing me again - you're nasty, sir! I should kick you in the REAR, admiral :D

2. Peacefrog88

Peacefrog88 Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, my name is Mick and I am fairly new to the world of trek. I have been a Star Wars fan for 15 years and never really thought about trek, then a couple of years ago (before the new movie) i started getting into trek. At first I only watched the original crew movies I - VI. I got the first season of TOS on DVD and loved it. Then I saw the new movie, I really liked it, but then I sorta forgot about Trek for a while (as I am also a dedicated Metal Head \m/(-.-)\m/). Then a bout a month ago I started to get in to Trek again, I started with Star Trek Generations. I really loved it, so as soon as I could afford it I got season 1 of TNG, which I am currently about halfway through. I am enjoying it emmensly(?). As soon as it is finacially viable, I intend to get the remaining 6 seasons of TNG, the rest of TOS and the last three TNG movies. Then perhaps the first seasons of DS9, VOY & ENT. Anyway, I thought I would come here and introduce myself.
    Live long and prosper.

3. kirsten187

Hello Peacefrog88 - welcome to TrekBBS. How are you?

4. Bored

Bored Cadet Newbie

Hi, I'm new here, and will probably post in the DS9 and Voyager forums.

5. bgrummer

bgrummer Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm a new member and i like the website. I get confused a little but that is normal for me.

6. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Welcome Bored and bgrummer. Enjoy your time here at trekbbs. Before going to TNZ make sure you have a good spell check, I found that out the hard way.

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I hear, a good spell checker does not help... they will find a reason to make dog meat of you!:rommie:

Welcome to all our new TrekBBS members! Be sure to check out the Redshirt Lounge. It is a great place to have fun and get to know other new posters.

8. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Oh the red shirt lounge. I miss that place. But not to much where I want to go back.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As you progress through the ranks, there are other lounges. For instance you are now eligible for the Fleet Captains' Lounge a.k.a. Flaptains' Lounge.:techman:

10. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Soon the next rank lounge. The fact that I like to talk sometimes bites me in the ass, I didn't get a chance to really shine in their, fill them with my great humor.

11. kirsten187

Yes, the redshirt lounge...I'll be saying goodbye to the captains' lounge soon too.

Hello to new members :)

12. Greatarms

Greatarms Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Opening hailing frequencies!

Of course I saw many Star Trek shows as a kid, but I am just beginning to watch the whole corpus from the Original Series through the cartoons until the last of Enterprise. Wish me luck on this marathon!

13. kirsten187

Hello Greatarms - welcome to trekbbs :)

14. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Welcome Greatarms!

15. Kimbal

Kimbal Cadet Newbie

Greetings frail mortals, from the newest home of the mighty Q Continuum!

<yawns> It's late here, not been sleeping and so I've also had a rare sleeping pill so this was the best I could do, but just wanted to say hi and so on.

Over years of declining health I've spent more and more time getting to know all the tv I missed for most of a lifetime. Good shows have come and gone but, and a special thanks to some of our British stations, all forms of Trek have been shown over and over. Thing is, I never, ever tire of them, unlike many shows that seem great the first time, second, even third time. Trek's just something I never fall out of love with. Though DS9 is my over all favourite.

A little about me (if I was the reader this is the bit I'd skip)... From the time I was a kid reading and writing were my greatest hobbies, and were the only good part of my childhood. As the few television shows I watched a little of were sf and that got me criticism I didn't watch much, then stopped all together. I started getting ill at about 12 or 13, and just lived more in my head than anywhere else.

To cut through a lot of dull and boring stuff, I was introduced to my present best friend, housemate, and adopted mother, Barbara, and we moved in together on a permanent arrangement in 1990. She studied person centred counselling and borrowed fiction books from her place of study. That was when I met my very first Star Trek novel, Peter David's "Q-in-Law". From there I read more Star Trek books, bought a tv (previously not needed or wanted by either of us, though I think Barbara missed having one a little), with a VCR, got Blockbuster membership, and started renting every single Trek tape available. Here had begun my first real tv/film love affair, and I discovered tv was fun.

Guess that explains why despite straying, Trek is the home I always come back too. Many years later, there's nothing better for a night of pain and insomnia spent in front of the tv.

So when a friend or two decided I really should learn to use the internet and chat to people more, after a few months glancing over different forums with varying levels of interest, when I found one for Trekkies I couldn't resist. So, for now, you're temporarily stuck with someone who hasn't even learned what all the strange sets of symbols are for, and will probably be a little uncomfortable with them for a while yet.

Otherwise, with you as my first contact I hope we'll all do OK. I do hope I don't babble too confusingly when very tired (not slept for quite a few days and nights now...)

Best wishes to you all,
    Kimbal

16. T'Laina

T'Laina Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh hi!

I suppose I should actual introduce myself.
    My name is T'Laina, and I have been obsessed with Star Trek and Doctor Who for quite a while now... cruising around the city looking for anything and everything pertaining to them.

I recently started a blog, the link is in my signature. Basically I write about Who and Trek, and put up picture and scans of the things that I find and Collect.

Glad to be here!

17. kirsten187

Hello Kimbal and T'Laina

18. Scrambo

Scrambo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know ive been bad :lol: & commented on things before saying hi so erm hi.

Dad introduced me to the wonderfull of TOS about 17yrs ago (blimey), tried to get into the other versions of the show but really couldnt. Hubby doesnt understand all this star trek thing.

Discovered this site whilst bored at work (of all places) & decided to look for star trek forums.

19. kirsten187

Hello Scrambo, welcome to trekbbs. I also occasionally check in while I'm at work too :)

20. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Hello Everyone,

Scrambo, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one! So, um, HI! I've been a Star Trek fan for what feels like all of my life. I have a wonderfully understanding husband who puts up with (and is amused by) my fandom. He has agreed to join me at the Las Vegas convention even though he is a Star Wars guy.

I'm afraid I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I do love it here. When you do see me it will probably be at the DS9 forum.

Cheers!