RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,452
Members: 25,788
Currently online: 395
Newest member: aziloma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 18 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
samwise_fan1965
Cadet

Star Trek at 60

I'm new so if this has been asked just ignore the post.
Back when Leonard Nimoy passed I was talking with some friends about where it will be in ten years. Now that Grace Lee Whitney is also gone I wonder if any of the original crew will still be around?
I imagine not but you never know.
It's sad to think of them all being gone but it will happen.
What do you think?
Do you think any of the crew will still be with us?
samwise_fan1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek at 60

You never know if someone of the original crew is left in 10 years. I hope William Shatner is doing well. You can't stop ageing. If someone else dies, I hope it will be peacefully.

There is/was a movie thread (I-X) where it was talked about the fact that many actors of TWOK are already gone. Yes, it's sad.
Old May 18 2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Admiral Bear
Captain

I think it's probably easier to name the actors from TWOK who are still alive, rather than name all those who have sadly passed away.

Shatner
Nichols
Takei
Koenig
Kirstie Alley
Ike Eisenmann
Judson Scott
John Winston (Commander Kyle)

Out of all those with credited main or small speaking parts, I think that's about it.

Tempus fugit.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

May those who are still alive live long and prosper!
Old May 19 2015, 05:09 AM   #5
Janeway's Girl
Fleet Captain

It's impossible to say who will still be around then but I think Walter Koenig and George Takei will make it, simply because they are the youngest of the TOS cast. Unless either of them have health issues. Now I'm not saying that people who are younger always out live those who are older, it's just a guess.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2015, 12:50 PM   #6
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
It's impossible to say who will still be around then but I think Walter Koenig and George Takei will make it, simply because they are the youngest of the TOS cast. Unless either of them have health issues. Now I'm not saying that people who are younger always out live those who are older, it's just a guess.
This is exactly as I was thinking. If anyone is still with us in ten years it'll be these two - and both will be about 90.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2015, 03:17 PM   #7
samwise_fan1965
Cadet

I considered Takei and Koenig as well since they are the youngest (at nearly 80!).
I guess any of the casts could be fewer since none are really spring chickens so to speak.
For me the thought of Shatner passing has always been hard to fathom.
I guess since he's the captain and always so full of energy.
I tried watching the show with him remodeling his house but had to stop because sometimes his age really came through.
That was hard to watch.
samwise_fan1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 12:24 AM   #8
2takesfrakes
Commodore

When Doctor Pulaski dies, I admit, I will feel kind of bad about that. She was the toast of TOS and when she substituted for Gates McFadden in TNG, she had her moments, even if it wasn't the best move to make, at the time. Mostly having to do with taking the character in the wrong direction and Diane's not meshing with the cast, who weren't happy with the way Gates left. But, she was a friend of Roddenberry and a fan of STAR TREK. As frail and aged as she's looking these days, though, I really would be surprised if she saw this franchise turning 60. Hope she does, though!
Old May 21 2015, 01:54 PM   #9
The Four Doctor
Lieutenant

We might not even have Patrick Stewart in ten years as he was born in 1940.
The Four Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Disco
Commander

The Four Doctor wrote: View Post
We might not even have Patrick Stewart in ten years as he was born in 1940.
Possibly because it was TNG that got me into Trek but his death would sadden me more than TOS members. Losing any is sad however.
Old May 21 2015, 08:51 PM   #11
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Why does it matter?

No really. I know, for example, that when Sterwart goes I will bum hard...

But their characters will live on. James T. Kirk is eternal, as is Captain Jean-Luc Picard and, yes, even Neelix. As big fans as we are [of varying degrees] of Star Trek it is the characters we are truly in love with not the actors. Of course we become fans and we are grateful but...

It is inevitable we will lose them all to time. People age and die but we can enjoy their roles in Star Trek for as long as we exist. DeForrest Kelley may be gone but I can throw on TOS and get to enjoy what he gave me all over again.

The bottom line is, do not worry yourself about who is going to go when and enjoy what they have done.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 08:56 AM   #12
The Four Doctor
Lieutenant

Once the actors have died, it's harder for people to relate to old TV shows and movies. Black and White also impedes a work's ability to make a connection.
The Four Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Iamnotspock
Captain

This is a little morbid is it not? Who knows? I don't know what William Shatner's diet is like, or what his lifestyle is, or whether he'll be hit by a bus four years, three days and two hours from now. It's useless to speculate about something like this, and it doesn't really matter. I've never met anyone from TOS, I "know" them through their characters only, and that will never change; something like Star Trek immortalises those who've been involved with it. DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney are as alive to me now as they ever were. It's a shame they won't see the 50th, let alone the 60th, but that's life, and what a legacy they've left!
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 03:24 PM   #14
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Once the actors have died, it's harder for people to relate to old TV shows and movies. Black and White also impedes a work's ability to make a connection.
I disagree. Plenty of old TV & Movies are iconic and will always be so [it could be argued they gain MORE reverance after actors have died].

Your B&W comment is also odd, look at Citizen Kane, Casablanca...even modern films go for the black and white touch at times.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 03:44 PM   #15
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
It is inevitable we will lose them all to time. People age and die but we can enjoy their roles in Star Trek for as long as we exist. DeForrest Kelley may be gone but I can throw on TOS and get to enjoy what he gave me all over again.
Amen to that.

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
I disagree. Plenty of old TV & Movies are iconic and will always be so [it could be argued they gain MORE reverance after actors have died].

Your B&W comment is also odd, look at Citizen Kane, Casablanca...even modern films go for the black and white touch at times.
I also disagree. Thanks to streaming services, inexpensive boxed sets of old television programs, and networks like Turner Classic Movies, as well as others, both classic TV series and movies have a better chance than ever of living on and being discovered by a younger generation.

If it is simply the fact that a film is in black and white that prevents someone from watching it - then more's the loss to them. Odd doesn't even begin to describe it - especially if someone says they are a movie lover. There are hundreds upon hundreds of masterpieces out there done before colour film became prevalent.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote