Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 20 2015, 04:01 PM   #1
pfontaine2
Lieutenant

A "What If" 50th Anniversary game

Imagine that Star Trek was the phenomenon that it was in syndication in the 1970's. Now imagine that it ended there. Those original 79 episodes sell well on DVD and Blu-Ray but there are no movies, no refit Enterprise, no Next Generation, nothing after the original 79 episodes.

Now let's imagine that with 2016 being Star Trek's 50th anniversary, the decision is made to make a movie with the original cast to celebrate the iconic TV show from the 1960's. All the surviving original cast are brought back and new actors are hired to fill (not replace) the empty slots. This means that there would be a new Doctor and and new Chief Engineer.

I'm imagining a diplomatic mission of great importance for the Federation. Perhaps some sort of treaty is being signed and the Klingons, or Romulans, or another race from the original series ask for the crew of the Enterprise to be the representatives of the Federation. The original Enterprise (not the refit) is placed back into service, perhaps with a new crew. Something goes terribly wrong and the original crew have to save the day.

Perhaps the movie could be a sequel to an original series episode. What if the plot mirrors the events of TODAY, such as terrorism and its root causes, and speaks to the world we live in.

It's a fun mind-game to come up with plot that pays tribute to the original 1960's show without the baggage of all the movies or TV shows that have followed.

Any thoughts?
Pierre
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 04:35 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: A "What If" 50th Anniversary game

A remake of The Deadly Years, but without the make-up.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 04:39 PM   #3
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Reading your scenario, I'm imagining something very like The Undiscovered Country, only maybe with a vengeful Khan (played by Antonio Banderas) being the one behind the whole plot to disrupt the peace accords, for his own advantage. With...

Olivia Wilde as Dr. Beverly Crusher
Kelsey Grammer as Chief Engineer Morgan Bateson
John Larroquette as Chancellor Gorkon
Richard Branson as the President of the Federation
Rosario Dawson as Azetbur
Mila Kunis as Saavik (our Valeris-like character)
Maria Menounos as Yeoman
Angelina Jolie as Marta
Ben Stiller as the warden of Rura Penthe
and Seth McFarlane as the voice of Keenser, another engineer and Bateson's wisecracking sidekick

...mainly based on the idea that those celebrities would hear about the project and demand to get themselves attached to it. But I think it's also possible that most of the new characters would be played by young unknowns in the hope of using them and this movie to launch a new TV series or series of movies.
Old January 20 2015, 04:52 PM   #4
pfontaine2
Lieutenant

Hi T'Girl. Yes, I hadn't thought of that one! Except, this time our beloved actors are hit with a virus that makes them young. This way you could get Chris Pine and the other movie reboot actors involved!
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 04:54 PM   #5
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
Hi T'Girl. Yes, I hadn't thought of that one! Except, this time our beloved actors are hit with a virus that makes them young. This way you could get Chris Pine and the other movie reboot actors involved!
So... you want to remake Insurrection?!

Yeah..... NO.
Old January 20 2015, 05:48 PM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
So... you want to remake Insurrection?!

Yeah..... NO.
Except in this alternate timeline Insurrection never existed, so it's not really a remake, is it?
Old January 20 2015, 05:52 PM   #7
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Except in this alternate timeline Insurrection never existed, so it's not really a remake, is it?
Yer one of them people what says nuTrek is a "reboot", aintcha? :eyes you suspiciously: