Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 20 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Anyone ever been in a Half Price Books store?

http://www.halfpricebooks.com/
We've got a new one right by my house. I walked in there, found a ton of Star Trek books(Even the old Bantam ones), a bunch of records(They had a nice selection of John Williams scores), graphic novels, all kinds of great stuff. The Superman soundtrack was playing on the PA. I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. I spent like, 40 bucks and went home with quite an impressive haul. I'm going to clean that place out eventually.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Re: Anyone ever been in a Half Price Books store?

i love that store. they bought a huge box of my old trek books for a fairl price and i really love going there.
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 08:59 PM   #3
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Nowhere near one.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 03:10 AM   #4
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Half-Price Books is evil. Eeeeeeeviiiilll, I tells ya!

Can't go in there without walking out with a pile of books that I probably didn't need (but definitely want).

I try to visit the local store at least a couple times a month becase you never know what you're gonna find. Awhile back I snagged an almost new-condition copy of the DSN Technical Manual for $35. Have seen copies going for the high-side of $100 on some on-line book dealers.
Old November 21 2009, 04:57 AM   #5
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
We've got a new one right by my house. I walked in there, found a ton of Star Trek books(Even the old Bantam ones), a bunch of records(They had a nice selection of John Williams scores), graphic novels, all kinds of great stuff. The Superman soundtrack was playing on the PA. I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. I spent like, 40 bucks and went home with quite an impressive haul. I'm going to clean that place out eventually.
I hit it at least once a month. (I assume you're going to NW 63rd and May?)
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Yes! I have 5 within a 25 mile radius of where I live. I go to each one in a rotation basis to check out the inventory. Simply awesome!
Old November 21 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Snaploud
Admiral

Unfortunately, it would take almost ten hours driving (without traffic) to get to the nearest Half Price Books location.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Judith Sisko wrote: View Post
Yeah. Ever go to that Vintage Stock store right down the street?
Old November 21 2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

I love Half-Price Books, precisely because you never know what you'll find.

My only problem with Vintage Stock is that their prices on used DVDs are too high. A lot of times, the difference in prices between their selections and a new copy of the same thing is a few bucks. I've never bought a boxed set from them, and only buy a single disc title from them if I can't find it anywhere else.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

I've never been. Next time I'm that way, I'll have to check it out. I usually do the bookstore trifecta (HPB, B&N, and Borders) since they're all within a few blocks of each other and especially now since B&N and Borders have gotten really competitive with their member coupons.

I buy DVD's more than anything at HPB. Last time I was there, I had an educator's discount coupon and bought the Annie Get Your Gun DVD for about 4 bucks. Can't beat that.

But I DO like to sit in the comfy chairs and glance through coffee table books while I'm there. I usually can't get out of the store with at least ONE book in my hand!
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Half Price rocks, though Uncle Hugo's here in town is just overwhelming.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

I've never been. Next time I'm that way, I'll have to check it out. I usually do the bookstore trifecta (HPB, B&N, and Borders) since they're all within a few blocks of each other and especially now since B&N and Borders have gotten really competitive with their member coupons.

I buy DVD's more than anything at HPB. Last time I was there, I had an educator's discount coupon and bought the Annie Get Your Gun DVD for about 4 bucks. Can't beat that.

But I DO like to sit in the comfy chairs and glance through coffee table books while I'm there. I usually can't get out of the store with at least ONE book in my hand!
Vintage stock has a huge dvd selection, as well. You should really check it out. They've got all the old game systems and games, records, toys, comics, posters, all kinds of stuff. Last time I was in there they had these Wrath of Khan Kirk and Spock dolls for 25 bucks a piece, and it was really hard for me to resist buying them. If anything, it's a nice trip down memory lane, especially with all the old Star Wars toys they've got.
Old November 22 2009, 09:54 PM   #13
kimc
Coffee Mod

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
i love that store. they bought a huge box of my old trek books for a fairl price and i really love going there.
Interesting. A few months ago I brought in a bunch of books and they wouldn't give a penny for any of the Trek ones. They did offer to shred them for me though. I decided to hang onto them and try again later.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, I find that Half Price Books is more rewarding for buyers than sellers. Last week, I took in an assortment of items whose combined cover prices came to over 100 dollars, and most of which were in excellent condition, and they gave me a whopping 6 bucks for the whole lot.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 07:12 AM   #15
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

kimc wrote: View Post
Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
Interesting. A few months ago I brought in a bunch of books and they wouldn't give a penny for any of the Trek ones. They did offer to shred them for me though. I decided to hang onto them and try again later.
That's odd, since they seem have such a huge inventory of Trek books. On the other hand, maybe that's precisely why they didn't want them. I'll let you know when I've cleaned out the selection at my location, maybe your store will buy your books and ship them here!