Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 11 2010, 06:37 PM   #91
havoc92
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to havoc92
Re: NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

I'm currently working on Deck 6. The work on 7 was quite a bit more tedious than I'd imagined; but, the outer and inner hull skins weren't spun up on the same number of segments; so, that made it more .. interesting. Nearly bald now. lol. Been taking breaks doing some C coding work to keep my sanity. Still moving.
Old September 14 2010, 07:57 PM   #92
havoc92
Commander

Slogging along...

This shows the cutting down of deck 6 underway. The floor has been cut free, then seperated into the actual deck 6 floor and deck 7 ceiling. The outer skin wall has been removed and will be seperated into outer/inner skins. The walls are seperated out as well and the turbolifts are a seperate item still. All have been trimmed further as the process continues and the polycount
thusly continues to fall even with the addition of new items into the mix.

Deck 6 is at this point about 50 percent completed. The image doesn't show a lot, thus the reason I haven't been posting very much of late. The work right now as I've said before is just
sheer tedium. There isn't a real change in any of the geometry other than getting rid of geometry that isn't needed. The structure remains largely unchanged.

More to come.
Old September 14 2010, 08:00 PM   #93
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Just awesome stuff.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2010, 08:29 PM   #94
havoc92
Commander

..almost forgot, this is an image I'd intended to post a while back and didn't get posted. Just some more eye candy
Old September 14 2010, 09:06 PM   #95
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Cool, x-ray specs!

This is an amazing project. Thanks for sharing.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 06:18 AM   #96
Saquist
Commodore

good to see this completed
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 05:34 PM   #97
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

I can't tell you how spectacular this is to me.

Actually, I possibly COULD tell you, but it would get very boring and repetitive after about five hours.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 08:10 PM   #98
havoc92
Commander

AJBryant wrote: View Post
I can't tell you how spectacular this is to me.

Actually, I possibly COULD tell you, but it would get very boring and repetitive after about five hours.
Probably would be a tad more exciting than working deck 6 right at the moment; but,.. I take the point rofl. Thank you.
Old September 17 2010, 03:09 AM   #99
havoc92
Commander

Deck 6 cleanup is now complete:

Here's the deck assembled

wireframe...

and rendered exploded views.

Five decks to go.
Old September 17 2010, 05:08 AM   #100
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

I get dizzy just imaging doing something like this. Great stuff.
Is there any way to get an estimation of the square footage for the ship? It must me staggering.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 11:11 AM   #101
havoc92
Commander

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Is there any way to get an estimation of the square footage for the ship? It must me staggering.
No idea; but, I'm sure it could be derived from the FJ plans. I'd be curious as to the displacement volume; but, not sufficiently driven at the moment to find out lol.

And here's the latest update:

Here are shots of the completed work on deck 5. Lots of complicated geometry. It's been simplified now. Still a little work to do in seaming up the ceiling for deck 6 as part of it had to be cut from the deck 5 floor and from the outer hull ring; but, minor stuff at this point by comparison.

..wireframe

..30 percent transparency render.

Deck 4 work has already begun.
Old September 22 2010, 05:20 AM   #102
Saquist
Commodore

Standard drafting technique...use of layers.
Old September 22 2010, 05:34 AM   #103
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Just awesome... I love the layers approach... there's something really aesthetically pleasing about seeing each layer in its own color, grouped together to form a large construct... really drives home just how much there is to the ship.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 07:08 AM   #104
Saquist
Commodore

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
Just awesome... I love the layers approach... there's something really aesthetically pleasing about seeing each layer in its own color, grouped together to form a large construct... really drives home just how much there is to the ship.
What is normally utter confusion as a whole is ordered and isolated in layers. Before Computers the concept was used sheet by sheet on a blue print. With 3D we can now problem solve the problematic intersections between those layers and resolve the conflict so that one person can coherent define an entire system.

Imagine building the human body without layers and you might lose your mind.
Old September 22 2010, 12:04 PM   #105
havoc92
Commander

Saquist wrote: View Post
BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
What is normally utter confusion as a whole is ordered and isolated in layers. Before Computers the concept was used sheet by sheet on a blue print. With 3D we can now problem solve the problematic intersections between those layers and resolve the conflict so that one person can coherent define an entire system.

Imagine building the human body without layers and you might lose your mind.
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. In drafting we always did multiple views or exploded views. I can visualize the 3d without much trouble. It helps substantially in building this stuff; but, others might not be able to; so, I started doing these exploded views to give people a better grip on just how much work is represented there and how involved it really is. Just wish I could have done videos of much of it.