Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 20 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Yammer5
Cadet

Drinking on the bridge

I was watching ST Nemesis the other day and i noticed what looked like a replicator on the bridge, i was wondering what the official rules would be for a federation bridge officer about drinking on the bridge whilst on duty ( non alcoholic ofc )

Thanks

Yammer5
Yammer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Re: Drinking on the bridge

Sulu was drinking tea in Trek VI on the bridge, Kirk drank coffee quite often on the bridge so did Janeway.

so I would imagine the rule is just don't spill it on the Console.
Old February 20 2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yammer5 wrote: View Post
I was watching ST Nemesis the other day and i noticed what looked like a replicator on the bridge, i was wondering what the official rules would be for a federation bridge officer about drinking on the bridge whilst on duty ( non alcoholic ofc )

Thanks

Yammer5
The Ent-D had replicators on the bridge too. There's one under the plaque and one on a similar panel on the otherside too. I suppose there'd be no fleet-wide rules on drinking or eating on the bridge and any rules on doing it/not doing it would be up to the discretion of the CO.
Old February 20 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

While we're on that subject, there's a replicator right in Main Engineering too. Geordi even recommends Ensign Gomez take it to a lounge (Q Who). Instead, she ends up spilling it on Captain Picard's uniform.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 11:20 PM   #5
ChaosAngel
Commander

View ChaosAngel's Twitter Profile

Axiom wrote: View Post
While we're on that subject, there's a replicator right in Main Engineering too. Geordi even recommends Ensign Gomez take it to a lounge (Q Who). Instead, she ends up spilling it on Captain Picard's uniform.
Yeah i did find that a bit stupid. Puttin a replicator where there are some many things to spill on. Who designs these ships? Food replicators belong in places people relax, not where drinks can be spilld on some thing important. Just imagine this: Worf is enjoying... whatever it is he drinks, while standing at his station. Suddenly a Romulan ship decloaks and fires at them. Where does Worf put his drink down? On the Captain's head???
Old February 20 2010, 11:29 PM   #6
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Since we've only seen the Captains drink on the bridge, I'd imagine that it's a privilege only they enjoy. If I recall, there was a place to put the cup between the Captain's chair and either Troi's or Riker's. I also think Kirk had a spot on his chair and Sulu had a table, which, to me at least, looked like it's sole purpose was to hold food and drinks for the Captain!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Paulcpick
Commander

Worf is enjoying... whatever it is he drinks
Prune Juice
Paulcpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

"Ales... for everyone!"
Old February 21 2010, 02:15 PM   #9
ndcarlin
Fleet Captain

shivkala wrote: View Post
Since we've only seen the Captains drink on the bridge, I'd imagine that it's a privilege only they enjoy. If I recall, there was a place to put the cup between the Captain's chair and either Troi's or Riker's. I also think Kirk had a spot on his chair and Sulu had a table, which, to me at least, looked like it's sole purpose was to hold food and drinks for the Captain!
C'Mon Captain! If you brought enough Raktajino for yourself you have to bring enough for everyone!
ndcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Johnnyracefan wrote: View Post
Sulu was drinking tea in Trek VI on the bridge, Kirk drank coffee quite often on the bridge so did Janeway.

so I would imagine the rule is just don't spill it on the Console.
In one of the Star Wreck spoof novels, Dacron spilled a Dr. Pepper on his console. He was watching soap operas on his monitor and got startled.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 03:43 AM   #11
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Paulcpick wrote: View Post
Worf is enjoying... whatever it is he drinks
Prune Juice
a Warrior's drink
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

ChaosAngel wrote: View Post
Where does Worf put his drink down? On the Captain's head???
I almost spewed my own drink all over my computer picturing that just then.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 04:45 PM   #13
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I would like to think that 24th century consoles on a starship are designed to be able to handle some liquid being spilled on them. But, then again, these are the same consoles that appear to have no circuit breakers and a bunch of little rocks that fly out of them when they get damaged, so who knows...
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 04:55 PM   #14
vess
Lieutenant

ChaosAngel wrote: View Post
Axiom wrote: View Post
Yeah i did find that a bit stupid. Puttin a replicator where there are some many things to spill on. Who designs these ships? Food replicators belong in places people relax, not where drinks can be spilld on some thing important. Just imagine this: Worf is enjoying... whatever it is he drinks, while standing at his station. Suddenly a Romulan ship decloaks and fires at them. Where does Worf put his drink down? On the Captain's head???
That's assuming there are specified "food replicators" versus normal ones. It's widely know in Star Trek that replicators are used for a variety of things other than just food. Maybe Ensign Gomez was just abusing a resource at work, much like I am using my work day to discuss Star Trek!
vess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 08:21 PM   #15
Jetfire

I think it would be great to enjoy a slice of pizza and a cold beer on the bridge.