MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 10 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Crewman47
Commodore

Instead of Grit and Salt

I had an idea the other day that instead of spreading grit and salt on roads and paths, which we know can make them a bit messy when said ice and snow melts, why don't we come up some kind of heating element, attached to existing gritter trucks, that melts the ice and snow and the water residue is then sucked up by powerful vacumms attached to either the underside or the rear of the truck.

I don't know how much grit these trucks hold but I'm sure you could collect quite a bit water in them which would mean you wouldn't need a lot of trips to do a mid-sized town or city.

Now I know we have to take CO2 emissions into consideration and what not these days but I think it could be possible if we had the right materials so what do you think?
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Instead of Grit and Salt

I'm just waiting for the day when we have heated roads.
Old January 10 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Crewman47 wrote: View Post
I had an idea the other day that instead of spreading grit and salt on roads and paths, which we know can make them a bit messy when said ice and snow melts, why don't we come up some kind of heating element, attached to existing gritter trucks, that melts the ice and snow and the water residue is then sucked up by powerful vacumms attached to either the underside or the rear of the truck.

I don't know how much grit these trucks hold but I'm sure you could collect quite a bit water in them which would mean you wouldn't need a lot of trips to do a mid-sized town or city.

Now I know we have to take CO2 emissions into consideration and what not these days but I think it could be possible if we had the right materials so what do you think?
I'm pretty sure everyone has thought this up before at some point and I'm also pretty sure we've all concluded is too inefficient. The heating element would need to get pretty hot in order to melt it fast enough to be sucked up otherwise the vehicle doing it would need to drive really really slow. Most importantly is the fact that regardless of how much it may try to suck up the water left behind there's no way it would get it all up and the remaining water would turn into ice causing more havoc for cars than simple snow would.

Grit is far more efficient and effective than any vehicle with a heating element could.

Now whilst we're on this subject I have an idea of my own. Cars should be designed with small tanks above each wheel with a heating element in it. The owner of the vehicle can shovel snow into these tanks and the element melts the snow and boils it. The tanks can then release the boiling hot water around the tyres via a jet of steam melting any snow or ice that may be causing a problem for the car. This would mainly be for vehicles that get stuck in the snow.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 02:51 PM   #4
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

I Am Legend wrote: View Post

Now whilst we're on this subject I have an idea of my own. Cars should be designed with small tanks above each wheel with a heating element in it. The owner of the vehicle can shovel snow into these tanks and the element melts the snow and boils it. The tanks can then release the boiling hot water around the tyres via a jet of steam melting any snow or ice that may be causing a problem for the car. This would mainly be for vehicles that get stuck in the snow.
Water boils at 100C

Rubber liquefies at 128C

You don't think the tires would begin to disintegrate at 100C?

The best race car tires shred at 93C
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
I Am Legend wrote: View Post

Water boils at 100C

Rubber liquefies at 128C

You don't think the tires would begin to disintegrate at 100C?

The best race car tires shred at 93C
I said around the tyres and shooting it out as a jet into the cold will cool it but still retain enough heat to clear the snow or ice. The tyres will be completely fine.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

I wonder what the people of Scandinavia, Alaska, northern Canada, Russia and Greenland would normally do in these situations?

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I wonder what the people of Scandinavia, Alaska, northern Canada, Russia and Greenland would normally do in these situations?
Stay inside?
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I doubt that would work. The power requirements would be off the charts.
Old January 10 2010, 10:03 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Well, I'm not saying it's gonna happen anytime soon.
Old January 10 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Perhaps we should instead ask why people should have to drive on roads in such conditions to begin with.

It's a shame there isn't a machine that could move people from one place to another, perhaps by converting them to energy, then sending that energy pattern to their destination, where it could be reassembled. Some sort of...transporting device.

DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Scout101
Admiral

seems like hover-cars would be more likely than either of these solutions, and it solves the deteriorating road problem at the same time
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 12:28 AM   #12
JustAFriend
Commodore

You DO realize that when you heat the snow and then attempt to remove the water that much of it will just re-freeze as DEADLY ICE???

(Besides the enormous energy involved at melting the snow in the first place?)

Salt and grit are cheap and you can treat a LOT of roadway in a short period of time.
JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Don't know about that, but in Vermont the road crews are competent, which goes a long way towards making roads drivable.

The problems with snow on roads mostly apply to places that don't get snow on roads very often, because the road crews don't know which way is up when it happens.

The focus is, "Let's get this snow and ice off the road as fast as we can," when it's really a much better approach to say, "Let's make this road safe despite the snow and ice on it."
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 01:21 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure at some point when energy is plentiful and cheap enough we'll have something along the lines of heated roads, or maybe even roads made of some-kind-of meta material that ice can't freeze too that also melts through some-kind-of energy transference. (Say some-sort-of aluminum based asphalt.)

Right now as it is sand, salt, and other de-icing compunds along with plow-trucks are the only options we have. There's some bridges around here that have de-icing systems on-site that can be activated to de-ice the bridge from a command center. Something like that on a more epic scale might be able to be done but also would require some sort of massive network of distribution pipes and storage tanks.

Yeah, salt and plow trucks are our best option.

And, the idea of ice-melting steam-pressurized vaccum snow pumps on cars?
Old January 11 2010, 01:27 AM   #15
Data Holmes
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps some form of geothermal heat pump?

Or, how about a small Nuclear "thermal battery" used as a heat source. It could be dual purpose, providing both electrical power for a given area and thermal heating for road surfaces in winter...