Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 10 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Hyperspace05
Commodore

New The Last Airbender trailer

Yahoo has the new "The Last Airbender" trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810071569/video/18070297
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: New The Last Airbender trailer

It might be longer than the super bowl spot, but no more helpful or enticing. So many stories have a chosen one and all that, and since I have no nostalgia for this franchise, I wil not eb seeing it. Of course, attaching Shamalan's name to the project is no real help.
Old February 10 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I'll probably go see it because my kids like the animated version a lot...and the visuals, at least, look pretty entertaining...

It is directed by M. Night...but it's based on existing material, and not some story he came up with based around a twist he thinks is cool.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Hyperspace05
Commodore

I guess my reaction is mostly "Meh"... I expected something more.. epic? I certainly looks more like a kids film than I thought it would.

But then again I never watched the TV series, so perhaps my expectations where not realistic.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Theonethatis
Commander

I recognized almost every scene. As long as they get Zuko's complex character arc correctly I will be a happy camper. As someone who has only recently been introduced to Avatar. I find this recreation of the cartoon pretty remarkable. I just hope it has the heart of the cartoon, I am 37 and I loved this show and think it will make a fantastic movie. There is a a lot of hidden depths in Avatar, Its going to be interesting if M knight can bring those out.

One plus is M knight is a huge fan of the cartoon. What he does will be out of love for the material and you can see a lot of love in that trailer. Another plus is that M knight is working with the creators of that show and they approve. M knight used to make good movies. Unbreakable was awesome and so was was the 6th sense. HE just needs to channel his inner Spielberg and he will be fine.

If he doesn't his kids will kill him. His kids are even bigger fans of the show then he is. In fact M knight first saw Avatar while his kids were watching it. He become hooked and obsessed and then made Friday nights family nights where they would all watch Avatar together. SO in a way this is a pretty special project for him. As a stepfather I know if I recreated one of my kids favorite show's incorrectly, I would be dead within a week

Last edited by Theonethatis; February 10 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 09:59 PM   #6
FreezeC77
Commodore

They do appear to be following a lot from the animated series and I'm guessing by that trailer the ending point for the first movie (since I assume they plan on sequels) is at the North Pole and that this first movie will be a condensed version of Book One/Season one of the show. Which probably means the blond in the trailer is Princess Yue.

I can't see any actress listed for Azula though on IMDB so I'm guessing they bumped her to the sequel if the first movie is successful. She really didn't appear in the show until the final episode or so of S1. Maybe they feel like introducing a new character in the last 10 minutes of the movie wouldn't work.

The one thing that will make or break this movie though is acting performances, you need the young actors playing Katara, Aang, Sokka to actually be decent. I'm not expecting academy award performances, but we need decent. You can't have them delivering Jake Loyd as Anakin in Ep1 performances.

At least I'm not worried about Zuko since Dev Patel is playing him.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Theonethatis
Commander

I am most worried about Aang. We havent seen enough of him and this is his first role. Aang goes through a lot of emotions in the series and you need a good actor to play that. Also Aang has a lot of innocence about him.

Katara sounds like Katara, I even close my eyes and pictured Katara saying those lines. However Katara is the heart of the team. She has to be mother,sister and potential love interest. Its a lot for a young actress to carry. But what I have seen so far seems to be in the right direction.

Sokka is a difficult character because he is basically Xander light. To much and he could be overbearing, to little and you lose his character. Sokka keeps things light hearted even though all hell is breaking loose around them. He is a pivotal character who also goes through a pretty intense character arc. We have to believe Sokka because of what happens later with princess Yueh.

I am also not worried about Zuko, Dev Patel is a great actor. I am sure he will do my favorite fire bender justice. He looks the part. I hope they slowly foreshadow what Zuko becomes.

Avatar lives and dies on its characters. They have to be believable and sympathetic. I am guessing M knight knows this. The blueprint is there all he has to do is follow it.

The first movie is based on book one Water. It believe it does end at the Northern water tribe city. Which is awesome because I loved those episodes. Next movie we will see Toph and Azula.

To Hyperspace 05 if they follow the series. You will get your epic and then some!!!!!

All I have to say is Appa yip yip!!!!

Last edited by Theonethatis; February 10 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old February 11 2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Graywand2
Commander

I just hope we see Azula at the end of the movie. I just hopes her acting reminds me of the Azula from the TV series, and with a little bit of Gul Dukat thrown in for good measure, particularly when her mind starts to come apart.

-Spongebob Squarepants.
Graywand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Theonethatis wrote: View Post
I am most worried about Aang. We havent seen enough of him and this is his first role. Aang goes through a lot of emotions in the series and you need a good actor to play that. Also Aang has a lot of innocence about him.
What bugs me in the trailer is that in that slow-motion shot of "Aang" sliding underneath a weapon or whatever, it's clearly a female stunt double who seems to be taller and slimmer than Ringer.

Katara sounds like Katara, I even close my eyes and pictured Katara saying those lines.
Yeah, the voice is close, but I may have to keep my eyes closed, because she sure as hell doesn't look like Katara. I thought it was really silly-looking to see these very white people dressed up as faux-Inuit.

The voiceover guy was clearly Avatar Roku, and he was a fairly good voice match too. It does seem that Shyamalan is going for authenticity, which makes the whitewashed casting all the more bizarre and incongruous. I think it must be the result of an order from a studio executive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Graywand2
Commander

Oh, for the love of God, you're not one of the people who think that Paramount's studio executives got together one day and decided they didn't like brown people and issued some order on high not to cast them, are you?

Besides, M. Night himself wanted Niccola Peltz, according to People Magazine. This was his exact words to them.

M.Night. “I told the studio I didn’t want to make this movie without her,” Shyamalan tells PEOPLE. “I said that only once before in my career, and that was when I met Haley [Joel Osment] in the Sixth Sense auditions.”

-Spongebob Squarepants.
Old February 11 2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Peak
Fleet Captain

But there are a few white people in the movie!

Racists!

I love this trailer. Makes the racebenders go ballistic... *grabs a beer and engages lurking mode on livejournal*

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2010, 12:33 AM   #12
Graywand2
Commander

I love it to, for the same reasons. Plus it's cool.

-Spongebob Squarepants.
Old February 11 2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Theonethatis
Commander

Me and my brother agree to disagree on the racebending issue. At first I was pretty upset, however I came to realize that this is a american cartoon made for an american audience. I dont think this is racism on the part of the director. It is however possible that it was a directive from the studio.

I do feel that since we have never seeen these characters in live action that there is room for interpretation. If they had painted Sokka and Katara's skin brown then I would be very upset. However portraying them as Scandinavians doesnt really bother me even though they are Inuit in the cartoon.

Having the fire nation as indian instead of Japanese is a interesting choice. Again I have no real complaints.

Noah himself looks like he has asian blood. In fact this is also what I have heard. I am much worried about his acting capability. As I am about all the main characters.

Didnt notice the stunt double will have to watch again.

Now keep in mind that I am white as the snow in the southern water tribe. So I might have a different perception then you do. I hope that doesn't make me insensitive. However this is how I feel now. I do understand the issue and if I was producer I would have done it differently. I was very nervous about this. However seeing the trailer does look like the show I saw 6 months ago for the first time and fell in love with. I am excited about this even with the racebending thing.

Last edited by Theonethatis; February 11 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old February 11 2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Graywand2
Commander

Again, my general opinion on the racebending issue is that you can no more call these people Japanese or Inuit or Chinese than you can claim that the Ligonians from TNG "Code of Honor" were actually from sub-Saharan Africa. The actors may have been, but the characters aren't.

-Spongebob Squarepants.
Old February 11 2010, 01:20 AM   #15
Theonethatis
Commander

that is also a good point. However the other side has very good points as well. Its a very passionate and complex issues for a lot of reasons.