Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 23 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

IDW's Movie Omnibus

Is this book real? I no longer see listings for it on Amazon or IDW's website, and it's long past the time it should have been released.
Old January 23 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
DarkHorizon
Captain

Re: IDW's Movie Omnibus

^Chris Ryall noted that its release would be delayed, so that they could finish work on it properly - but that was back in November, and nothing's been heard since.
Old January 23 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Steve Roby
Commodore

They may have changed their minds, given that there's a Star Trek Motion Picture Trilogy paperback collection due out in May, with TWOK, TSFS, and TVH. Though it looks like they're planning omnibus editions of their own material that's already been released in trade paperback, so maybe they'll still do both eventually.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Daddy Todd
Captain

The "Best of Klingons" Trade that was originally scheduled for October or November also never came out, as far as I can tell. The "Best of Spock" trade is due out this month; I wonder if it will appear on schedule?

It looks like IDW is doing a bit of a re-think of their program reprinting pre-IDW Trek comics.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 09:10 AM   #5
DarkHorizon
Captain

^Yeah, Best of Klingons was cancelled. No idea of the status of the Spock one.
Old January 24 2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
It looks like IDW is doing a bit of a re-think of their program reprinting pre-IDW Trek comics.
Contractually, they didn't have to pay the original contributors to those pre-IDW stories any kind of royalty, and IDW seemingly chose not to offer royalties for the reprints - and I think that has caused a bit of a buyer backlash. Also, a few of their collections have had very similar content to previous omnibuses offered by the original companies.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The "Best of Klingons" Trade that was originally scheduled for October or November also never came out, as far as I can tell. The "Best of Spock" trade is due out this month; I wonder if it will appear on schedule?
Best of Spock has been canceled.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the information, all. I wonder what's going on at IDW Reprints HQ.
Old January 24 2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Daddy Todd
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
A few of their collections have had very similar content to previous omnibuses offered by the original companies.
Yeah, and I think that was a huge mistake for them, like essentially reissuing the DC's "Mirror Universe" trade with lower-quality reproduction than the original trade. My local comic shop still has a copy of the DC edition on the shelf -- which was replaced last year when it was sold, so it's still available -- at a lower price point than IDW's lower-quality edition. That's a bad business decision all around.

I'd much rather see IDW complete the trade reissues of the Gold Key comics that Checker abandoned some years ago. We're 2 trades away from completing that series. Instead, they did new (or slightly revised) editions of stuff that was already published in trade once or even twice. I don't understand the thinking behind a decision like that.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I think that was a huge mistake for them, like essentially reissuing the DC's "Mirror Universe" trade with lower-quality reproduction than the original trade. My local comic shop still has a copy of the DC edition on the shelf -- which was replaced last year when it was sold, so it's still available -- at a lower price point than IDW's lower-quality edition.
You know what else I missed? The celebrity forewords in the DC reprint omnibuses! I really would not have bothered collecting reprint collections at all, except that DC tempted me with new forwards by people like George Takei, David Gerrold, Ann Crispin, Walter Koenig, etc.

Then the Malibu DS9 stuff started being collected by a UK publisher - but not introductions - and I kept buying them to keep my "set" complete.

I did get the Checker TOS stuff and - sucker that I am - all the new IDW collections, but if IDW had added a few pages, placing the selected "Best of..." issues into a context, or with a new celebrity foreword, these books would have been so much more interesting. As it is, they have a "just churned out another one" feel to them - and whatever computereized "blur" effect they are using on the older issues' traditional, screened (dotted) artwork shading just isn't very attractive.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 01:38 PM   #11
Trek Survivor
Captain

I've been impressed with the Omnibus collections of the Marvel stuff and the complete Early Voyagers work... I'd like more reprints like this, collecting a large consecutive run, rather than "Best Ofs". I am desperately hoping they begin a complete reprint of DC's TNG line. 15/16 issues a book would suit me fine!
Old January 25 2010, 09:37 PM   #12
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

I've only bought the TOS-related IDW reprints, and not all of those. Frankly, I'm happy with the DVD collection. I wonder if that hurt sales.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 03:51 AM   #13
Steve Roby
Commodore

Probably didn't help. Neither did reprinting stuff that Titan reprinted just four or five years ago.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
ClayinCA
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Contractually, they didn't have to pay the original contributors to those pre-IDW stories any kind of royalty, and IDW seemingly chose not to offer royalties for the reprints - and I think that has caused a bit of a buyer backlash.
It certainly did with this buyer. A shame--there are several of their omnibi (is that right, omnibi?), either already released or simply announced, that I would love to have bought, but they're not getting a dime from me unless I know the original creators are getting royalties.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

^No. Omnibuses. Omnibus in Latin is the dative plural form of omnis; it's an adjective meaning "of all of them." So you can't make it any more plural than it already is. It's only in English that it becomes a singular noun, so it's pluralized by English rules.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote