Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Spartacus: Blood and Sand 1x01

I'm not sure how many people watched it last night, but I figured the new Sam Raimi fantasy series deserved a topic.

Anyway, as for my thoughts, I thought it sucked. An over sexed, uber violent, 300 ripoff series. There's really very little to say about it. Lots of blood, boobs, and swears; Torchwood Series 1 x 10. Hercules: The Legendary Journeys it is not.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 1x01

Oh when I saw the previews a able back I thought it was gonna be more like Rome
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 03:20 PM   #3
lennier1
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
[snip /]
Anyway, as for my thoughts, I thought it sucked. An over sexed, uber violent, 300 ripoff series. There's really very little to say about it. Lots of blood, boobs,
[snip /]
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. And the reason why I won't waste time on any further episodes.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

Pretty much what I expected from the producers of Xena with the freedom of cable. I enjoyed it well enough and will keep watching for a while. I just hope they don't muck up history as much as they did on Xena.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
cylkoth
Commodore

For NetFlix subscribers with broadband, they have episode 1 available in the Watch Instantly section. Haven't sampled it yet, but your reviews don't sound encouraging.
Old January 24 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
FreezeC77
Commodore

I watched the first episode, but it doesn't really hit with me. Don't get me wrong I like watching action movies and hey I have no problem seeing nudity (BRING IT ON!) but the story just seemed non-existent. Like it's just there as window dressing for slow-motion 300 rip-off violence.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hey!

In the story telling bard competition Gabrielle entered near the end of season one, which I saw recently, the blonde kid who would one day be Young Hercules, told the story of spartacus using clips from the kirk douglas movie.

cool.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Caliburn24
Commodore

Stylistically the show is a mixed bag. The CGI blood is way overboard in a lot of scenes. The nudity I can take or leave. The swearing is just what it is. But the show has potential. It tells a story and moves at a good pace so far. The characters are just archtypes at this early stage in the game, and poorly acted mostly, but the lines between the villains and hero are well drawn, and just like in Gladiator the urge to see the villains get their rightful reward propels the story along.

It isn't close to the level of Rome, but it is still a series worth watching.

As a side note, I found it hilarious that the Thracians were going around in their ab-baring, sleeveless barely there clothing in the dead of winter with constant snow coming down, for months apparently.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Anyway, as for my thoughts, I thought it sucked. An over sexed, uber violent, 300 ripoff series.
Sounds awesome. I'll give it a try.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Technobuilder
Commodore

I watched the first 10 to 15 minutes of the first episode before becoming bored and skipping ahead to find a scene I liked. The fight scenes were alright, but like someone else said. The CGI blood is way over the top, I thought the main character had to be dead after his first 2 hits, but apparently you only die from blood loss if you've been skewered or had several limbs hacked off.

I can't believe they've already renewed this series for a second season.

Why can't Cable Channels with money, put it behind deserving shows.

I'm ready for Farscape 2.0 or a decent adaptation of The Dresden Files for crying out loud.

Hell, if they wanted to try something new, do an Honor Harrington TV series... Now that would be entertaining.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Caliburn24
Commodore

Apparently, by every report and critic I've read, the series improves noticeably in a couple episodes.

But it still is rather strange to me that it is already granted another season. That is a lot of faith in an untested property.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 12:41 AM   #12
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I watched the first episode, but it doesn't really hit with me. Don't get me wrong I like watching action movies and hey I have no problem seeing nudity (BRING IT ON!) but the story just seemed non-existent. Like it's just there as window dressing for slow-motion 300 rip-off violence.
I completely agree.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Joy
Commodore

Yeah, my reaction was... MEH. I thought it was much too gratuitous (but then again, I've not seen 300, and I know they were going for a similar style, so I really can't say much in that department). I didn't mind the nudity or swearing; I've seen/read just as much, if not more.

To be frank, I'm only watching it for John Hannah. So they'll have me as a viewer for as long as he's in it. (Same reason I've seen all three Mummy movies, in fact.)
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 06:34 AM   #14
T J
Commodore

This is the STARZ version of Sci-Fi's Flash Gordon. God awful never should have never been filmed utter piece of shit. It takes elements of several mediums and brings out the absolute worst shit from them. The fact that most of these "actors" were allowed in front of the camera without at least 10 more years of theatrical training is an atrocity to say the least.

Thanks be to Christ tits and ass still sells or it would have been a total late term 8th month abortion. The fact that this has already gotten a 2nd season is only proof that evil men prevail and they expect the "common" man/woman to eat this baked shit.

Who the fuck pays for Starz on purpose?!?!!?
Old January 25 2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Aragorn
Admiral

Starz.com has the first episode online. I'm pretty sure they don't post every episode. At least they didn't for Crash.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote