Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 21 2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

A matter of time with Sookie (True Blood)

I think it's just a matter of time before Sookie quits her job as Merlotte's and emerges herself completely into the supernatural community. I think one of the reasons why she hangs onto her waistress job is because of her desperate hope of living a seemingly normal life despite her special ability and her encounters with supernaturals. But at some point, she needs to realize that she isn't meant for a normal life and no matter how much effort she puts into appearing normal to others, there will always some people calling her a "freak." That's just a sad, unforunate fact.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 01:13 AM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: A matter of time with Sookie (True Blood)

Unfortunately, posts like this show you really haven't any idea what you're talking about. If you're really curious about Sookie, read the books. Every point you're trying to make above has already been addressed several books ago.
Old June 21 2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

For the last time, I am talking about the show (notice its title in the thread's title) which won't be completely 100% faithful to the books. The show won't have the chance to run for 11 or 13 seasons. The longest a HBO show has been known to go for is 7 seasons.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 03:07 AM   #4
Plan 9
Lieutenant Junior Grade

On a related note, am I the only one annoyed with the way they pronounce "Merlotte" on the show? I always envisioned it with more of a French pronunciation, ie. with silent T's.
"Ah, what's the use of makin' a fuss. Last night I saw a flyin' object that couldn't a possibly been from this planet, but I can't talk about it. I'm muzzled by Army Brass. I can't even admit I saw the thing!"
--Jeff Trent, Plan 9 From Outer Space
Plan 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Plan 9 wrote: View Post
On a related note, am I the only one annoyed with the way they pronounce "Merlotte" on the show? I always envisioned it with more of a French pronunciation, ie. with silent T's.
I thought the same thing at first. But the names were checked with Charlaine to make sure they are being pronounced the right way.

She lives less than 20 miles away from where the fictional Bon Temps is set, and many of the character names are from the area.
Old June 21 2010, 03:24 AM   #6
OmahaStar

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
For the last time, I am talking about the show (notice its title in the thread's title) which won't be completely 100% faithful to the books. The show won't have the chance to run for 11 or 13 seasons. The longest a HBO show has been known to go for is 7 seasons.
Don't blame others for your posts' ignorance. If you really wanted to be "in the know" you could.
Old June 21 2010, 08:23 PM   #7
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

It's Louisiana, not Paris. Pronunciations are going to be either Creole or Cajun.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 10:08 PM   #8
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Sookie? Isn't that the Italian bimbo on that reality show?
Old June 21 2010, 10:12 PM   #9
OmahaStar

1 -The character's name is Snookie, and she isn't even part Italian, despite being a "Guidette" whatever the fuck that's supposed to be.

2 - The True Blood character's name is Sookie, which is a traditional Cajun name. Charlaine named her in honor of a real Sookie - her grandmother's best friend's real name is Sookie.
Old June 21 2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Plan 9
Lieutenant Junior Grade

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
It's Louisiana, not Paris. Pronunciations are going to be either Creole or Cajun.
That doesn't make it any less odd sounding.

Plus it's not like it's physically impossible for French people to live in Louisiana, too. Either way, the non-silent Ts does give a more redneck vibe to it. That probably why I don't care for it. I just wish it wasn't so distracting for me.
"Ah, what's the use of makin' a fuss. Last night I saw a flyin' object that couldn't a possibly been from this planet, but I can't talk about it. I'm muzzled by Army Brass. I can't even admit I saw the thing!"
Old June 21 2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Redneck vibe is probably what they're going for. Now would that be some form of hyper vigilance you may have for that distraction?

And wtf Omaha, no need to be an ass. Not all of us have read the books and on that point just because something happens in the books doesn't necessarily mean it will happen in the show, including something like Sookie doing something humans do and work. I think Joe Wasington was trying to point that out. The span of time from season 1 from when her grandma died to now isn't really a wholeheck of a lot right? Somebodys got to work to keep the lights on, the water running, etc. For all we know Merlottes will be one of the main set pieces we'll see for a while.

So yeah, just because you think you're better than some of us because you have read the books and attended Charlaine Harris lectures and what not, does not give you the right to act all high and mighty and talk down to us, in this case Joe for making a thread and kind of pointing out the obvious (haha sorry Joe). Coz wow dude. Get off Mount Pious will ya. Yes we could be in "the know" and read the books, but since the thread is about the show, kind of a moot point. I guess we'll see if Sookie quits or not. I'm smelling cliffhanger.

Last edited by Oboro Bishamon; June 21 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Plan 9
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just dislike the forced limited-intellectualism (is that even a word?) that gets reinforced in the media with reference to rednecks. Sure, in my experience a lot of them are pretty dense when it comes to a lot of things, but there's no need to emphasize it. In the end, it really just comes down to the fact that "Sam Mer-low" sounds significantly better than "Sam Mer-lot" and actually reinforces the French/Cajun/Creole feel that they're actually going for on the show.

It could also be because a lot of people mispronounce my surname which has a silent consonant in it, too.
Old June 21 2010, 11:31 PM   #13
Anachronus
Commodore

I just dislike the forced limited-intellectualism (is that even a word?) that gets reinforced in the media with reference to rednecks. Sure, in my experience a lot of them are pretty dense when it comes to a lot of things, but there's no need to emphasize it. In the end, it really just comes down to the fact that "Sam Mer-low" sounds significantly better than "Sam Mer-lot" and actually reinforces the French/Cajun/Creole feel that they're actually going for on the show.

It could also be because a lot of people mispronounce my surname which has a silent consonant in it, too.
Except that it is set in North Louisiana. A very different beast from the creole/cajun areas.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 12:21 AM   #14
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
That doesn't make it any less odd sounding.

Plus it's not like it's physically impossible for French people to live in Louisiana, too. Either way, the non-silent Ts does give a more redneck vibe to it. That probably why I don't care for it. I just wish it wasn't so distracting for me.
Cajuns are French, it's just that they left France a very long time ago.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote