Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 1 2010, 04:36 PM   #91
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Kelso wrote: View Post
I'm actually about an hour NW of Atlanta, but I really am tempted to try to get down to Albany to help in some way. I'm absolutely talentless, but maybe I could pass out lemonade or something.
We will post our shooting schedule, and you'd be more than welcome! Not sure about the lemonade, but we'll have plenty of sweet and unsweet tea on hand.

lennier1 wrote: View Post
In case you haven't already done so make sure to check the following....
The team has augmented their display panels using motion tracking and some other methods to keep the budget manageable and the result is more than worth it....
I agree that looks really nice, but not sure we'd be able to swing that on our first production. I met with our Director of Photography yesterday, and he's excited about the size of the bridge. When he heard the dimensions (and that we were doing it on a carport), he was less than optimistic. After he walked around the bridge three times yesterday, he was juiced and declared it more than large enough.

We ended up casting three more folks (again, all local actors) yesterday, with another wanting to join us on Monday. Also took on a young man who'll be basically serving as a stage manager (lighting, boom mics, camera work, etc.). Doing a makeup test with one of our Klingons today, and finishing up our to-do list from Thursday. It's clear to Ricky and I that as long as things continue as they are, we will have the bridge finished no later than June.

I've got to begin ordering uniform tops next, and this coming week, Ricky and I have to visit a local used car parts place (i.e. a junkyard) to find our captain's chair. We're going to put Van on a pivot mechanism for it.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 01:21 AM   #92
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I'm on board Potemkin. I'll be driving the bus...

Old May 3 2010, 04:18 AM   #93
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Why, yes, you are. We're hoping to get some photos and bios from our cast and post a casting and characters page by next weekend.

Tonight, we updated the Potemkin website with pics of all the work we've done this week: http://www.projectpotemkin.com/build...e_bridge_4.htm.

This coming week, we're going to be working on bridge stations.
Old May 11 2010, 06:51 AM   #94
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Tonight, we've updated the website with more pics from our set construction (which is proceeding very nicely) and a CHARACTERS AND CAST MEMBERS page which is pretty self-explanatory.

The bridge is coming along very nicely, and we're hoping to do more tomorrow. We're expecting to film Wednesday evening, and plan to strike the Klingon set on Thursday so we can finish up framing the bridge set Friday. Turbolifts are on the TO DO list for the weekend!
Old May 11 2010, 12:55 PM   #95
lennier1
Commodore

This looks more promising with every new update.

Have you already tested some major camera angles? Many Trek productions preferred to choose their camera angles carefully in order to not have to add a ceiling to a set (also allows you to add additional lighting from up there). A good example would be Picard's ready room during TNG.

Looking forward to your choice of actors.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 11:43 PM   #96
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Quite right, and funny you should mention that.

Last night, after we hoisted the Security and Tactical stations into place, we were looking at that 8" clearing above the piece and trying to figure if we wanted to do anything with it. We're even considering using 80# white, gray or black cardstock cut into 12" strips and securing it to the ceiling and top of the station. We're also going to be adding an individual accent light over each station to better illuminate the actors on what's going to be a dark set.

One of the reasons we added the scrap board underneath the stations (seen in the picture of the science station) was because when we did some test shots from the forward walkway, over the navigator's station and shoulder, you could see the peach-colored planking from the carport.

Tonight, we're taking a close look at the sides of the panels as well to see if we need to add a plywood panel there. Suggestions would be most welcome!
Old May 13 2010, 06:29 AM   #97
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Second Unit Filming took place tonight on our Klingon bridge set. We've updated our website with pictures from the makeup sessions, and will probably post a few clips and vids in the coming days.

Be sure and check out our site's updates:

01/02/2010: "Building the Bridge"
03/05/2010: "The Search for the Right Soundstage"
03/17/2010: "Building the Bridge 2"
03/27/2010: "Building the Klingon Bridge"
04/06/2010: "Props"
04/21/2010: "Building the Bridge 3"
04/28/2010: "Characters and Cast Members" *NEW*
05/02/2010: "Building the Bridge 4"
05/10/2010: "Building the Bridge 5"*NEW*
05/12/2010: "Makeup!!!" *NEW*

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; May 13 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: bad URL in link
Old May 14 2010, 08:20 PM   #98
Death
Admiral

If they speak klingoneese, will they speak proper or just fake it?
Old May 14 2010, 09:20 PM   #99
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

They're only seen on the mainviewer, so they'll be speaking only English.
Old May 16 2010, 08:28 PM   #100
lennier1
Commodore

Found something in my reference image library regarding set ceilings:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/342...eceilings1.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7...eceilings2.jpg
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 12:18 AM   #101
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We're actually going to keep the carport ceiling, and keep it bright white to help with the overhead lighting. But the gap between the console and the ceiling will be filled with the vented sheathing material used in home construction under the overhangs. It's cheap, it's lightweight and durable, and it'll look like an air conditioning/ventilation system.

Yesterday I met with a fan who's interested in redoing our graphics so that they'll be on acrylic rather than the paper/vinyl appliques. We'll see how that progresses. Didn't get much done construction-wise, but did get the Communications station covered with the service board that we use for panels. After the meeting, Linda and I had to go judge the local Hooters bikini contest. (LOL!!!) Seriously, but don't ask.

Today, we created the structural cross-slats on both Security and Tactical, and after a bowl of Lucky Charms, I'm heading back outside to cover them with the service board.

That'll leave us both turbolifts, the "backdoor" to the Captain's ready room, heads and docking port, as well as the mainviewer in terms of framing and construction.
Old May 17 2010, 02:42 PM   #102
ares93
Commodore

i presume you guys are shooting in Georgia, correct?
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 03:43 PM   #103
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Yes, we are.

Today's agenda is to finish attaching the service board, and start work on the final two stations.
Old May 17 2010, 04:45 PM   #104
ares93
Commodore

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Yes, we are.
alright figured maybe i check it out when i'm in the states. but it'll be a pain to ride the bus from maine. and my license isn't valid in the us...
anyway good luck and i'll be watching :-)
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 07:49 PM   #105
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Very, VERY long way from Maine, I'm afraid. We've had visitors from Atlanta, Columbus, Tallahassee, and this weekend Birmingham. That's 3 hours or less for everyone who's visited.

Not much to see for another few weeks either. We're just about to start painting thing black and gray. We don't even have the carpet in yet, and my wife is thinking that we should add an air-conditioning unit to the set.