RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 519
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 10 2013, 10:23 PM   #811
northstar
Lieutenant

Re: Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

That looks like a very TIGHT bridge.
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:28 PM   #812
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

It's actually 25% larger than the one we've shot on for three years.

I think part of that may have to do with the angle. I literally climbed up an eight foot ladder, sat on the top, and leaned over the turbolift wall to take the pic.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:25 AM   #813
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

It does look smaller in that pic than it does in real life. Though, I didn't see it from that angle.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:41 AM   #814
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I agree that that camera angle doesn't do it justice.
Old November 17 2013, 10:03 PM   #815
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Saturday, November 16th, Project: Potemkin shot its sixth production of the season, S03-F "Frazier's Angels." This vignette features Abby Evans, Leslie Lewis and Jade West as the Angels; Richard Thornton, Rachel Riemke, Pamela Robinson and Jeremy Ellenberg as Potemkin officers; Nicholas Wawruck and AJ as officers from the Kongo.

The story, written by Randall Landers, involves the best (and worst) security squad of the Potemkin on a rescue mission to a previously charted planet. The 7 page vignette was co-directed by Abby Evans and Leslie Lewis. Videography by Randall Landers. Promotional stills by William C. Searcy.

Old November 19 2013, 10:04 PM   #816
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Movie era bridges always seemed like they'd be impossible to pull off realistically but you guys have done a fine job. I do agree though that certain angles poke a hole through the "illusion" of it being bigger than it probably is, but that's not really a dealbreaker for me.

At first I didn't really care for the more irreverent stories you guys did but now that you've got a good backlog of shows done and there's more of an established "feel" for the series, I'm quite liking it. Well done!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 04:25 AM   #817
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks, Doubleoh. We're trying. Over the next year, look for a wide variety of releases, from irreverent to action-adventure to thought-provoking to tragic. Hope you'll tune in, so to speak.
Old November 25 2013, 03:34 AM   #818
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

UPDATE on Scheduled Releases, 2013-2014

Dec / S01-2 "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" (Awaiting Soundtrack)
Jan / S02-A "Duty Bound" (Awaiting Panel Animations)
Feb / S02-B "Darkness" (DONE)
Mar / S02-C "Second Contact" (In Final Editing)
Apr / S02-D "Ashes" (DONE)
May / S02-E "Beach Towel" (DONE)
Jun / S02-F "Shovel of Kahless" (awaiting VFX)
Jul / S02-G "Command Decision" (awaiting color correction)
Aug / S02-H "Just Once..." (awaiting editing)
Sep / S02-I "Red Sky at Night" (editing)
Oct / S02-J "Closing Time" (MOSTLY DONE; awaiting revised soundtrack)

Remaining Season 3 Vignettes/Episodes Scheduled to be "filmed":

S03-G "Do No Harm" (Dec)
S03-H "The Chair" (Dec)
S03-1 "The Monsters Are With Us" (Dec - Jan)
S03-I "Battleship Kupok" (Jan)

Already filmed Season 3 Vignetes:

S03-A "We Few..." (editing)
S03-B "The Lucky One" (to be reshot completely -- color key issues)
S03-C "Holding Pattern" (editing)
S03-D "Unspoken" (editing)
S03-E "Third Watch" (awaiting editing)
S03-F "Frazer's Angels" (awaiting editing)

Vignettes are 10mins or less and are lettered. Episodes are generally 30 mins or more and are numbered.
Old November 25 2013, 03:38 AM   #819
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Looks like 2014 is going to be a very exciting year for Fan Trek Fans! COOL!!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 06:20 PM   #820
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

A slight correction:

S02/C "Second Contact" has finished in editing, and is now ready for its VFX.

Also, bear in mind that releases are tentative. It's not a house of cards, but if there's a delay in one episode/vignette, those that follow will be delayed.
Old November 25 2013, 06:32 PM   #821
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Delays happen. Whatever the reason, they just do. Besides, Project: Potemkin has a pretty solid track record so far for their releases, so I've no doubt any delays that may occur will be short-lived. As they say, keep on keepin' on!
Old November 25 2013, 07:32 PM   #822
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

My only disappointment is that while we're not a house of cards, we have to air them roughly in production order because of character development.

For example, S01-2 has to air before S02-B. S02-A has to air before S02-B. S02-C has to air before S02-D. S01-A has to air before S02-E. S02-E has to air before S02-F. That sort of thing.

We moved away from that sort of thing for the third season. TOS rarely did that, the only memorable examples to me are "Corbomite" / "Deadly Years" and "Taste of Armageddon" / "By Any Other Name."

I regret not following their example more closely. We could've had six more vignettes already aired by now...
Old November 25 2013, 07:42 PM   #823
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I think there's a great lesson to be observed here for all fan filmmakers. Not that you guys have done anything wrong, Randy (far from it!) but an example worth noting to be sure.

Serialized stories must be told in sequence in order for them to work. You can't watch, say, episodes of LOST out of order and expect the show to make sense. (And LOST is absolutely a show that plays around with time/continuity/storytelling).

On the other hand, a serialized storyline told in sequence can reap huge benefits and audience satisfaction if well done. The fan production I point to on this is Star Trek: The Section 31 Files by DarkerProjects.com. It's an audio series, and has it's rough edges, yes. But the plot and the overall arc of the first two seasons of the show are brilliantly sketched, performed, and executed even though it takes an episode or two to really get going. And if you sit through those first two seasons and you've paid attention, it's one of the finest serialized Star Trek stories ever.

Thirdly, there's the value of the standalones, not to be dismissed easily, as the various fan films have established. I guess it just boils down to what's important to you in a story.

I loved Hidden Frontier and it's brethren out of AreaKT Productions, but it was completely, overly serialized. There just wasn't any break with those shows... nearly every episode would have the crew facing a problem, barely solving it and having their earned victory, only to have the show end on a dark note or some new crisis rearing its head. It's fine if that's the story you want to tell, and I have no shortage of respect and admiration for what Rob Caves and his team achieved with those shows, but pacing-wise it got to be somewhat repetitive.

So it can be a mixed bag. And as you've learned, one definite downside to overly serializing is that you've got to get them done in order. Just as important though is, I think, that you guys are getting them done and that's no small feat.
Old November 25 2013, 08:13 PM   #824
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I appreciate that, and agree that you have to be careful not to over-serialize events.

s... nearly every episode would have the crew facing a problem, barely solving it and having their earned victory, only to have the show end on a dark note or some new crisis rearing its head.
Which is what Lost in Space did. It tried to hook the viewers into tuning in next week. Sorta got stale after a while.

In our production, none of the regulars are regulars forever. We've killed one off, we've transferred a couple, that sort of thing. We like to introduce our new replacement characters with, well, a big moment for them.

So when I say S02-D has to come after S02-C, it's because we introduced Asst. Security Chief Tyler Landon in S02-C, and if you watched S02-D, you won't know the character as well. And when I say that S02-B has to come after S02-A, it's because S02-A introduces us to Yeoman Ziandra Yanari, a Trill.

Perhaps that's not as important to the average viewer, but, well, it is to me. Just shoving a character into a spot isn't as interesting as seeing why that character is in that spot. In S02-C, we meet Cadet Teddy Burroughs. In S02-G, we see he's now an Ensign at the helm. We know a lot more about him, and can see more depth in his role in S02-G because we learned a good bit about him in S02-C.
Old November 25 2013, 10:25 PM   #825
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

And that's the story format you've chosen to use to tell your story.

Believe me, I understand the quasi-OCD nature of it all (I am always re-organizing my bookshelves, my DVDs, etc.) and follow incredibly strict guidelines and protocol with my own writing and continuity. It's a bane in some regards, but I think there's very much a skill to be garnered as well in situations like this, so long as you don't let it out of control.