Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 16 2011, 06:21 AM   #406
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

^^ Happens to everyone. Just like an occasional giggle fit that lasts at least half a dozen takes.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 06:33 AM   #407
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I forgot -- you've seen the raw footage of the Klingon scene, haven't you?
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 06:39 AM   #408
lennier1
Rear Admiral

The files where the "electricity" look had me drooling for several minutes?
I was quite impressed, except for 151-152, where the stars aren't moving and the ship behaves similar to the original New Voyages pilot.

BTW: Please don't forget to have someone look up the properties of that lens you're planning to use (24mm, 35mm or whatever), so I can take care of those camera angle proposals we've been talking about.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old January 16 2011, 06:56 AM   #409
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

151-152 are on the viewscreen. Do you think it should be slower? The Potemkin is at a dead-stop when that shot occurs.

Re: your BTW: It is on my list of things to discuss with Renda Carr's husband, Tim.

1) What kind of camera exactly?
2) What kind of lens is he using?
3) What kind of sound is he employing?
4) What kind of lights is he using (quartz, I'm told).

I'm going to talk with him at length about shooting "The Lucky One" in March. While that is technically a Season 2 episode, I suspect that it will be the hardest to do in post-production.
Old January 16 2011, 07:17 AM   #410
lennier1
Rear Admiral

That explains the static starfield but that turn is still too tight for comfort. Either the guys maintaining the RCS thrusters were working overtime or someone has glued a Babylon 5 Starfury to that Klingon's hull.

The type of lights is only of secondary importance for what we're planning, since both kinds of footage will have to be matched and then color corrected anyway. But it's the mismatched lens distortion we absolutely want to avoid.
Old January 16 2011, 05:16 PM   #411
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Understood. Like I said, we'll know tomorrow, and I'll let you know after we're finished shooting.
Old January 16 2011, 05:21 PM   #412
lennier1
Rear Admiral

No need to hurry. I'll be stuck in meetings for most of the day anyway. :/
Old January 16 2011, 07:30 PM   #413
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Linda's got to work, so we're going to be a little shorthanded in the kitchen staff for filming. Lovely...
Old January 16 2011, 09:07 PM   #414
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

lennier1 wrote: View Post
That explains the static starfield but that turn is still too tight for comfort. Either the guys maintaining the RCS thrusters were working overtime or someone has glued a Babylon 5 Starfury to that Klingon's hull.

The type of lights is only of secondary importance for what we're planning, since both kinds of footage will have to be matched and then color corrected anyway. But it's the mismatched lens distortion we absolutely want to avoid.
I know this isn't Trek convention, but the starfield should appear static as long as the spaceship is moving at impulse. Nearby planets may move slowly out of sight. Trek almost always makes this stuff move too fast. Anyway, there is no such thing as dead still. There is only not accelerating. In a gravity field, even that is a matter of perspective.

Isaac Newton said it: An object in motion tends to remain in motion, an object at rest tend to remain at rest.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 09:55 PM   #415
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

The ship is at station keeping, which is a dead stop. The SPFX sequence is a viewscreen shot of another ship. Lennier is quite correct that the stars aren't moving (which they're not supposed to be), and it's his opinion that the other ship departs the scene in a B5-esque manner.

Meanwhile, here's the prop I worked on today.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...calBagProp.jpg
Old January 16 2011, 10:04 PM   #416
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Glad the image worked out after all.
And since Trek used cases like that for everything, including Phaser gun lockers they're par for the course. Heck, their scientists repurposed a bread-making machine and Sickbay healed people with a potato peeler.
Old January 16 2011, 10:08 PM   #417
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I kept the background in the file you sent. It makes for a more visually interesting prop. Thanks for sending it to me!

And this was a K'nex Robot World box. My son, Ryan, loved them as a kid!
Old January 18 2011, 06:50 AM   #418
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

It's a Wrap on "Doctor's Orders"

On Monday, January 17th 2011, Renda Carr, Doug Harper, Stephanie Burke, Jeremy Landers and Randy Landers braved the chill of the bridge set to complete the vignette, "Doctor's Orders," under the direction of Tim Carr. Temperatures on the set rarely got above 50 degrees, but the cast put themselves out there and shot the entire vignette. While it took 4-1/2 hours of filming for the 4-1/2 page vignette, everyone had a good time. The vignette is a humorous one as Dr. Maura Drake confronts Commander Mike Delaney over a violation of Starfleet Medical regulations.

We've posted a few pics to the Project: Potemkin website. Hope you enjoy!
Old January 25 2011, 02:35 AM   #419
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Just a quick update: spent the weekend doing storyboards and polishing scripts. We're going to be shooting another vignette, "Miscommunication," in February. We hope to shoot the vignette, "Delivery," in March. A lengthy vignette, "Assigned Duties" in April, and then begin work on the next two full length episodes, "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" and "Callie" in May, June and July. All in all, it's going to be a busy spring for Project: Potemkin.
Old January 28 2011, 05:56 AM   #420
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We've got two more vignettes which may be added to the schedule. "The Lucky One" will be a green-screened episode which means it may be released this season or next. "The Engineer's New Clothes" will be shot soon, and released after "Doctor's Orders."