Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 3 2010, 11:56 PM   #271
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

The echoing is indeed a concern. One thing Jeff Green, our Director of Photography, wants for our next filming session is the addition of some sort of foam around the top of the bridge with a textured surface that will absorb some of the extra sound. That's not very high on our list of priorities, but it's definitely something to fix before "The Void" goes before the cameras.

We've got to find the right material first, though.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 11:59 PM   #272
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I wonder if you could position a couple of mattresses or large pieces of foam out of camera shot on some of the walls behind the camera? You could move them as needed and it might absorb the sound that's bouncing around the Bridge.
Old August 4 2010, 01:48 AM   #273
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Funny you should mention that. One of the materials we're looking out is a bumpy mattress foam.
Old August 4 2010, 02:01 AM   #274
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe carpet padding would work also -- Just ideas. No practical experience on my end.
Old August 4 2010, 02:31 AM   #275
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

It's all good. Whatever we choose needs to be white and (here's a new word for the lexicon) hot-glue-able to attach to the soffit we have around the top of the bridge.
Old August 4 2010, 05:45 AM   #276
Maurice
Vice Admiral

What are you guys using to record sound?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:06 AM   #277
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

It was 48k stereo audio using a huge boom mike. We went through four boom mike operators while filming, including the neighbors' kid, my youngest, one of the cast, and even the director. The sound is too good, if anything.

I just watched 30 secs of test footage assembled by our editor, Tom Scott. It's wonderful. I told Tom I'm still laughing in relief...

Tom added a few ambient bridge sounds, and we're both looking forward to what Ralph Miller will do with it.

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; August 4 2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: clarification and expansion
Old August 4 2010, 08:34 PM   #278
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

30 seconds' worth of test footage has now been posted to our YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Potemkin1711

You can also get there directly by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sCMRuzTAlQ
Old August 5 2010, 07:11 AM   #279
Data Holmes
Admiral

Looking good so far. The bridge looks really good on camera. I hope you guys don't fall into the "left/right" dialogue delivery style a lot of fan films get sucked into, though. You've got that great bridge set, don't be afraid to show it in wide shot.
Old August 5 2010, 07:30 AM   #280
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks for the kind words. We see a few things we want to tweak, but in general, we're very happy with the bridge set.

The "left/right" delivery thing is something we may have to watch for. We've got a few wide shots that weren't used in this exchange including a pan or two of the bridge. Our problem area with our set during this production (the back alcove) was a challenge to shoot around. Once we get the turbolift stand completed either this weekend or early next week, I'll be starting on that alcove.

And then: the captain's ready room. Should be interesting to build that set since I've got to build it in a back corner of the back of the copy center.
Old August 5 2010, 06:29 PM   #281
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Is the alcove necessary for filming? Why not put up a large static display back there like was on Excelsior/Enterprise B or another "Standing only" station? The first six Star Trek movies never gave any indication how the crew got back to the airlock section of Deck 1 (other than Chekov taking one of the Turbo Lifts there to retrieve Spock in ST:TMP). Why not do the same?

Just curiosity more than anything else. The shots look good so far!
Old August 5 2010, 06:31 PM   #282
Maurice
Vice Admiral

It sounds a little hollow. You'll definitely want to hang up blankets and stuff off camera to get rid of that echo-y quality.

You might know this, but here's a tip about recording sound:

If you have a stereo mic, don't record both channels at the same level. Set one channel about 10% lower than the one you set as the ideal. That way, if the audio clips on the main channel you have the second channel to fall back on.

Also, don't use a zoom from across the set when shooting closeups. It flattens the image too much.

Keep at it!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 5 2010, 08:48 PM   #283
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Melonpool wrote: View Post
Is the alcove necessary for filming? Why not put up a large static display back there like was on Excelsior/Enterprise B or another "Standing only" station? The first six Star Trek movies never gave any indication how the crew got back to the airlock section of Deck 1 (other than Chekov taking one of the Turbo Lifts there to retrieve Spock in ST:TMP). Why not do the same?
We want to be able to walk to the ready room quickly. The airlock's still back there. We were also thinking of saying there's a head back there.

For the vignette, we used a huge vinyl tarp, unprinted, that we were quickly about to put up and take down. The problem was that I didn't realize that white is a terrible choice for a background, and the vinyl began drooping and wrinkling. I don't think any of the footage with the vinyl was usable.

We're going to be added just a two-dimension flat structure with a hinge on it so that it can be folded and moved out of the way. The rear alcove literally leads to my kitchen, and we leave the door open with fans blowing full blast in order to help cool or heat the carport. We turn the fans and the portable AC off for filming, of course.

Melonpool wrote: View Post
Just curiosity more than anything else. The shots look good so far!
Thanks. Linda and I were talking last night about how colorful it is, and how that somehow really works for what we're doing. We're also thinking we want to outline the appliques with white vinyl tape to hide the seams better.

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
It sounds a little hollow. You'll definitely want to hang up blankets and stuff off camera to get rid of that echo-y quality. You might know this, but here's a tip about recording sound:
If you have a stereo mic, don't record both channels at the same level. Set one channel about 10% lower than the one you set as the ideal. That way, if the audio clips on the main channel you have the second channel to fall back on.
I did not know that trick. Jeff (Dir of Photography) has me looking for some egg carton-patterned padding (like bedding mattress padding) on a roll to hang where the soffit currently hangs. He wants us to hot glue the padding to the soffit to reduce the echoing.

Also, don't use a zoom from across the set when shooting closeups. It flattens the image too much.!
Hmmm, not sure if that was done. Might have been done with the engineer's close-up.

Keep at it
Definitely working on that. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old August 5 2010, 09:33 PM   #284
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
It sounds a little hollow. You'll definitely want to hang up blankets and stuff off camera to get rid of that echo-y quality. You might know this, but here's a tip about recording sound:
I did not know that trick. Jeff (Dir of Photography) has me looking for some egg carton-patterned padding (like bedding mattress padding) on a roll to hang where the soffit currently hangs. He wants us to hot glue the padding to the soffit to reduce the echoing.
Hang heavy blankets or sound insulation on surfaces that could be sound-reflective, including set pieces that are out of shot. Use clamps or C-47s (clothes pins) so that you can quickly put them up and take them down.

Also, don't use a zoom from across the set when shooting closeups. It flattens the image too much.!
Hmmm, not sure if that was done. Might have been done with the engineer's close-up.
I was...either a zoom or a long lens (or a hi-def shot was blown up), as I can see the top of the helmsman's head peeking into the frame, making it a slightly "dirty" shot.

Keep at it
Definitely working on that. Thanks for the encouragement!
Always!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 6 2010, 12:59 AM   #285
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

[Hang heavy blankets or sound insulation on surfaces that could be sound-reflective, including set pieces that are out of shot. Use clamps or C-47s (clothes pins) so that you can quickly put them up and take them down.
That might be easier on my back than trying to climb the ladder and hanging that insulation, assuming I even find it! THanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; August 6 2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: BBS tag issues