TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 25 2010, 07:16 PM   #256
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Heat? Bah, we never have to worry about that in Scotland.
Sure, instead you have plenty of rain during a shoot on location.

I'm surprised Bodo doesn't pack an inflatable boat whenever he travels up there. But then again with his luck with airlines putting stuff into his luggage won't help him much anyway.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 07:19 PM   #257
USS Intrepid
Commodore

True that.
Old July 25 2010, 10:01 PM   #258
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Ouch, that definitely sounds tough! But despite the weather conditions all that work still paid off and you got to shoot your first scenes on the new bridge.
That we did.

Looking forward to the details on that vignette. Those girls look so young they'd barely be out of the academy. Reminds me of the later movies where the Enterprise was used to give cadets and ensigns their first field experiences.
That's sort of the back story there. Ours is not a training ship for midshipmen. I specifically wrote this short film in answer to a number of comments along the lines of "Where are the old guys?" There are a lot of twenty somethings aboard the Potemkin. Of course, our alien tactical officer is actually around 70 years old. His species just ages at a slower rate than ours.

BTW: Will you really take a week off or did your wife simply decide that your new experiences as a carpenter should be put to use in other parts of the house as well?
No, I'm really taking a week off from construction. This past week has been a real rollercoaster ride as we had to scramble for various fixes to problems: the back door alcove, for example, was a failure. Complete and total. Going to have to go with a different approach there. Started looking at it half an hour ago, in fact, trying to figure out a different approach.

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
When we filmed Tales of the Seventh Fleet, we tried to film in the fall and winter months for this exact reason. I don't know what kind of bulbs you are using for filming, but you may want to look into using Florescent. The are brighter, cover better and no where near as hot.
I don't want to think about how hot those lights we used were, but the choice of lighting went to our director of photography, Jeff Green. They were bright, hot, and reflected by use of umbrellas and filters.

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Really glad to hear everything went well, looking forward to when this gets released.
Thanks! Me, too!

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Heat? Bah, we never have to worry about that in Scotland. Congrats on a successful shoot!
Thanks!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 10:09 PM   #259
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Quick Update Time: The miniDV with the vignette footage is now in the hands of our editor, Thomas Scott of Magique Productions. We're looking forward to seeing the results!
Old July 31 2010, 02:40 AM   #260
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Saw the teaser on Facebook, your CGI looks really good. Interesting take on the uniform, the set looked good with people in place.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 05:37 AM   #261
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks for the comments!

The CGI shots in the trailer were by Jon Carling. The CGI shot (Scene 0B) was by Bill Walker. I think they both did a good job on them. Bill used the refit Constitution mesh by Raul Mamoru over at www.trekmeshes.ch. Not sure if Jon did his own mesh or used the same or another one. We will be making sure everyone will be properly credited in the actual vignette closing credits and on the website. This just in: Bill will be sending a new Scene 0B this coming week to tweak the existing spfx a bit. He's also hard at work on Scene 0A which will feature his own starbase mesh.

The set worked out very well; the footage that we looked at before we sent it off to our editor was outstanding. Jeff Green did a terrific job as our director of photography. He took the "Das Boot" approach, trying to make it like a submarine. We shot a lot of footage across the entire bridge. He's talking about using the steadycam on a good portion of the first episode, "The Void." We'll probably be shooting "The Void" in November; Jeff has a couple of plays to produce/supervise/direct over the coming months. But we're definitely going to shoot when it's a lot cooler. (This week we were over 100 a few times during the afternoon!)

Our uniforms are interpretations of the Class B uniforms from the late TOS movie era. Patty Wright, late of Star Trek Phase 2, was in charge of the uniform tops. She did a terrific job on them, and we have shots of the blue and gold on our website. We also have white for the captain and black for the security chief which we haven't used yet. We'll be having Patty craft our medical tunics out of green. We had each actor provide their own black slacks and boots. Originally we'd planned on putting color piping on each pair of slacks, but dropped that for budget reasons. We also avoided shooting the feet since everyone had different types of shoes/boots on. My character's were probably the only shoes to appear in the episode, and he's only in this vignette (he's not a nice fellow).

This week, we opted not to do anything. That gave my elbow time to recover (and it's feeling a lot better) and gave Ricky a chance to get a lot of his coursework done. This coming week, we're going to concentrate on the back door (rear alcove) and working turbolift. The following week, we'll be working on the captain's ready room.

We may have to do some pickups in the coming weeks. We're hoping we don't.
Old August 2 2010, 08:05 PM   #262
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Just a brief addition to the previous post:

Jon Carling, who's doing the special effects from "The Void," said to be sure and credit the meshes he used as follows:

3-D Uprated Constitution Models: Dennis Russell Bailey, S-Stephen
3-D K't'inga Model: D. Bates (aka EBOLII)

Jon also pointed out that the YouTube clip doesn't properly proportionalize his special effects. We won't be having this problem with the episodes; this clip was done using Windows Movie Maker, and the version we have on the computer that assembled it, seems to be ignoring the command to make it widescreen. Sorry about that; we tried ripping it several different ways yesterday, all with the same result. Oddly, when we post material that didn't go through WMM to YouTube (i.e. Bill Walker's special effects test), we didn't have any problem with that.

Not to worry, our completed vignette will not have this problem since we're not using WMM on it at all.
Old August 2 2010, 08:11 PM   #263
batboy853
Lieutenant

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post

Not to worry, our completed vignette will not have this problem since we're not using WMM on it at all.
good cause wmm sucks, not going to lie...
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 08:14 PM   #264
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Not gonna lie when I say I already knew that. Just wanted to see what I could do with it. The answer is clearly: not much.
Old August 3 2010, 06:54 AM   #265
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Worked on this week's project--the turbolift--tonight. Ricky and I managed to get the background and other materials purchased. Kimberly began work on the padding. Tomorrow evening we're going to paint the background and the framing material while Kim glues the pads and covers them with the dark red material we've been using all along. Thursday we'll put it all together...

After the turbolift comes the backdoor alcove. It's going to be very much a build like tonight's was, except that we're going to go with a two-piece assembly so that we can move it out of the way when we're not filming.

Then comes the captain's ready room... Lennier1 gave us several good looks at what we can and want to accomplish with it. With Ricky moving to St. Augustine in two weeks, I'm hoping we can get the framing done on it before he leaves town.
Old August 3 2010, 08:42 PM   #266
lennier1
Rear Admiral

It's great to see all pieces come together.

BTW: Do you have any plans for using social networking sites like Facebook to promote your project, get in touch with viewers and release updates? Seems to work quite well for projects like Intrepid.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 09:15 PM   #267
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Once we have our first vignette in hand, then we'll be promoting it more on FaceBook and other similar sites. We do plan on releasing it on a couple of different video venues, including YouTube.

Honestly, given the grief heaped upon other productions for not finishing or keeping to their schedule, I'm afraid to promote it more than I already am.
Old August 3 2010, 09:44 PM   #268
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I'm kind of in that same boat. Pretty soon. we're going to do a bunch of short 2-3 minute "test" films that we can stagger out to the web as we make the real film. Having the standing sets will be quite useful for that, but as all of us know, even these little films take a huge amount of time and energy.

I do think having a backlog of short things to post is a good idea, though. If anything, it makes people interested and get used to checking out your site.
Old August 3 2010, 11:02 PM   #269
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Agreed.

And I had no idea about the production time. A five to six minute vignette took us five hours to film. Good heavens, I really was clueless about that. I thought it would take 15 mins to an hour tops!

I'm soooo glad we did a short vignette first so that we can actually plan a 3-4 day weekend to do the shoot for the first 30 min episode.

We're beginning to re-examine our shooting script and see who needs to be present on which day of filming. Now that we've got an understanding of the process, we can proceed.
Old August 3 2010, 11:08 PM   #270
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

One thing we found out when we were making our Star Trek videos back in the day is that in a closed set, filming around available actors wreaked havoc on our sound. We shot around an actor who was playing our Navigator and when we went back to pick up her shots on a different day in a tight close up, we found that all of her lines echoed back differently than the other shots with a mostly-full Bridge. As near as we could tell, the large number of bodies actually dampened the voices so it didn't echo as badly in the master shot -- something that didn't happen in the mostly-empty pick up shots.

Of course, we were 16 and didn't really care, but I thought it might help you in a similar situation.

Steve