Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 30 2010, 05:36 PM   #196
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

There is an idea that I have been toying with for a while. Digital picture frames have the ability to run a slideshow and video. I have one and I played around with loading jpegs of a crude TOSera blinky display. The blinkys changed position and color from image to image. When you run then in a slideshow they appear to be a live display. You could also record a running image like the round red alert logo from the TOSmovies to an avi file and run it on the device. These things are cheap, at about 100 bucks, they don't require an extensive computer system to run. They come in several sizes. You can control them with SD cards. They are easy to remove from their little frames. You could position a few in key places and change them as needed. Something to think about...

http://www.pandigital.net/search.asp...Type&TypeID=25

These are like the one I own. Any brand should work.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 05:45 PM   #197
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I've been toying with that idea as well -- though I have a 7 inch one (the $100 model from a couple of years ago), and it seemed kind of small. My plan is still to use two 19-inch LCD computer monitors on my set, but have been waiting for a sale.

I have a couple of ideas regarding the scanner light. If I come up with something that actually works, I'll post about it.

Last edited by Melonpool; June 30 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 06:36 PM   #198
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We've actually be looking at making one of our control panels "hot" in that it could be used for any given station. The LCD picture frames are what we're looking at, especially when they can run images off of a jump drive.

Let me know about the scanner lights...
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 03:26 PM   #199
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The digital frames are expensive for what you get, IMAO. Picking up flatscreen computer monitors on ebay or even Good Will stores is pretty easy now - people upgrade sizes all the time, so even 22-inch flatscreens have become relatively cheap - 200 dollars, say, as opposed to 100 dollars for a 7-inch digital frame in your example. 15-inch monitors are mainly under 100 dollars.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 05:41 PM   #200
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Speaking of which, does anyone know the mechanics of installing a flatscreen monitor on a set -- like was done on Phase II? I would think there would be some sort of rigged support bracket on the back, but if anyone has any first-hand knowledge of ways to accomplish this, I'd love to hear it -- I'm almost to this step on my set.
Old July 1 2010, 06:17 PM   #201
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Modern flatscreens usually have the VESA mount points. So that would be my first guess.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 09:13 PM   #202
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Hmmm, may not have room on some sections for the flat screens which is why we were considering the picture frames. Gotta think on this a bit... Thanks for the input!
Old July 2 2010, 03:32 AM   #203
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

On the Polaris set they just built wooden frames and set the monitors in those, then screwed a faceplate over them.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 06:47 PM   #204
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Another thing you might think about is the use of digital frames for is props like the tricorder. The small key chains can be inserted in small hand held dummy props, and they are fairly cheep. Stargate Atlantis used to used old Palm Pilots in some of their hand props. Some were for displays, some were rigged to use the light to back light a static image overlay.

You could work the key chain frame into the one of the arms of the captains chair. But that may not have any real practical value. Take a look at this thread I recently found for some TOSmovie era ideas...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=29237&page=16

Check the entire thread out. Lots of kewl stuff.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 10:04 PM   #205
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Definitely! Thanks!
Old July 3 2010, 06:07 AM   #206
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Just a quick note: We should have the majority of the bridge set completed by the end of this extended weekend.

We're already notifying the cast of projected shooting schedules. Hopefully our short, test film vignette will be shot before the end of the month.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

R
Old July 6 2010, 11:40 PM   #207
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

How'd it go? I managed to do a little work on mine as well -- though still no updates. I have to be better about documenting my progress instead of just working on it!
Old July 6 2010, 11:45 PM   #208
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We've got the basic bridge complete. Going to sand and touch up some spots tonight. Also going to build the frame of the turbolift set so we can hang it up. It's just a backdrop, so to speak, so it won't take long. Also going to hang the first of the overhead ventilation grids to see how that looks. Will also do a little trim work.

You're right about updating; it takes a lot of time to do it, time I'd rather spend on the set itself, but I should have an update and a couple of announcements by this weekend.
Old July 8 2010, 03:25 AM   #209
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

To-Do List

1) Remove all plastic lenses from section dividers and replace with cloth strips. Will need to carefully remove trim off four dividers and replace them with as little damage as possible. We'll need to get two more such trim pieces to go along the backdoor.

2) Need to sand section dividers along "back door" and re-touch the paint. Must not get paint on the consoles or captain's chair or carpet. Need to install the 1x2's on each side of the turbolift (must paint them first, but what color? grey, black, or silver?).

3) Need to purchase and install overhead "ventilation" system. This means purchasing 5 more of those things and cutting five copies of the template we created tonight. The others go along the top of the forward viewscreen, over the starboard turbolift (one of the left over pieces will fit the port turbolift perfectly.

4) We've got to come up with a plan for the back door ceiling. I'm thinking of doing what I did for the forward viewscreen. That is a 4x8 service board with a 1" board across one side of it (the side facing the set) for stability. That would be an excellent thing as far as the ceiling goes because that means the ventilation doesn't need those weird cut angles.

5) Turbolift. We need to frame in the turbolift. It should look like /-------\ so we can move it (sort of like the Klingon bridge set, but smaller -- door height. We also might need to do an overhead piece like on the "back door."

6) Railing. I had a great idea about the bridge railing. Last night, while I was hammering those framing sides for the back, I screwed a 2x4 into some 24" pieces, and realized that if I had created 36" pieces for it, I would have a very passable railing. Just would need to sand it nicely, and cut it at a 15 degree angle like the bridge set. It wouldn't even have to be attached to the flooring because at that angle, it will stand up on its own. We could then easily move it for filming purposes. What do you think?

7) Carpeting. We've got to check the bins at Home Depot where I got what we used. Might get lucky; you never know.

8) Chairs. Got to talk with Flint Office Furniture about four more chairs.

9) Airconditioner. I found one on-line at Home Depot for $299. Holding out to see if Lowes will beat the price.

10) Hang the appliques. I'm thinking right now of the stapler. We need to cut one out and test it before we do all of them, but that's the last thing we need to do.
Old July 8 2010, 07:05 AM   #210
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Here's the latest updated page:
http://www.projectpotemkin.com/build...e_bridge_a.htm