RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 493
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 2 2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Observation about Galifrey <SPOILERS>

Actually it explains a whole lot...
Old January 2 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Fleet Captain

Re: Observation about Galifrey <SPOILERS>

It could be made of less dense material, so the gravity wouldn't be so bad.
26138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 08:32 AM   #3
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

Or time lord technology reduces the effects.
BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

BlastHardcheese wrote: View Post
Or time lord technology reduces the effects.
They still would had to evolve with the gravity and would likely have no reason to change it. It would be like us reducing the gravity of Earth.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Or perhaps it just a manifestation of the time bubble and not a physical object at all.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Meredith wrote: View Post

Actually it explains a whole lot...
If that was true, that would have been squat little creatures - you only need very minor changes in gravity to have great changes of the evolution of a race. It would not lead to super-strength (Superman) or two hearts.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

What amazes me even more is that nobody has nitpicked about the fact that a planet the size of Gallifrey appearing closer to the earth than the moon would tear the earth apart from the tidal forces.

In fact, Gallifrey appeared as close to the Earth as GPS satellites are. I won't buy any BS that it was all a projection/illusion or a "manifestation of the time bubble" for two reasons.

1. The time lords and the president were very real. The doctor even stated they were bringing back not just the race, but the whole planet.

2. It caused very real earthquakes. The ground shook. A projection does not do that.

RTD & Co. may not have realised exactly how much damage a planet 5 times as massive as the earth would do if it appeared at such a close proximity. When Gallifrey first appeared and was still some distance away, I do not doubt that its own gravity would've immediately begun pulling people off the earth's surface and into space towards it. At the same time, the earth would fall down onto Gallifrey within minutes and shatter both planets.

Last edited by BlastHardcheese; January 2 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old January 2 2010, 04:34 PM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

RTD & Co. may not have realised exactly how much damage a planet 5 times as massive as the earth would do if it appeared at such a close proximity.
I suspect that they simply didn't care - Doctor Who is a fantasy show with a few Sci-fi trappings.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Timofnine

My theory (that explains all this perfectly!) is that Gallifrey is made of a much less dense material then most other planets... maybe a thin crust over a molten core which has 'shrunk'. Think of it a bit like a natural dysons sphere with people living on the outside. This way, the planet could be 5 times bigger then earth, but more or less dense.

Bah, it's science fantasy anyway, who cares
Old January 2 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

RTD & Co. may not have realised exactly how much damage a planet 5 times as massive as the earth would do if it appeared at such a close proximity.
I suspect that they simply didn't care - Doctor Who is a fantasy show with a few Sci-fi trappings.
Yeah, if you want to get all nit-picky time travel is probably impossible.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Old January 2 2010, 06:58 PM   #11
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
There are many astrophysicists who would eagerly dispute that point with you. But what they would not dispute is that a planet the size of Gallifrey coming so close to Earth would turn the Earth inside-out even before it completely filled the sky.
Old January 2 2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Timofnine

There are many astrophysicists who would eagerly dispute that point with you. But what they would not dispute is that a planet the size of Gallifrey coming so close to Earth would turn the Earth inside-out even before it completely filled the sky.
Erm, unless there was a fantasy reason like I mentioned above for it not to crush earth. Don't take it so seriously. Do you think Joe public cared?
Old January 2 2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well lets see. I can either chalk it up to, 'OMG RTD sucks!' or try to come up with some way to explain it. I choose the latter. So if I've decided its a time bubble, or it was Gallifrey (in which case its a giant ball of flaming gas) but it hasn't fully become corporal yet, well thats my prerogative.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 07:53 PM   #14
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

I'm going with "it's just a show, I really should relax". Helps me with most things.
Old January 2 2010, 10:58 PM   #15
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

I'm going with "it's just a show, I really should relax". Helps me with most things.
Seconded.