Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 10 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
EJA
Fleet Captain

The Valeyard

For those who've seen the classic Sixth Doctor epic The Trial of a Time Lord, do you think there's any possibility of the new series ever featuring the Valeyard who, in the aforementioned story, was said to be some kind of evil clone of the twelfth or thirteenth Doctor?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: The Valeyard

If the Valeyard is featured, then he must be made a more interesting character than he was in the "Trial" story line.
Old January 10 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Tom
Rear Admiral

I guess we will have to see.
Old January 10 2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Bacl
Fleet Captain

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
If the Valeyard is featured, then he must be made a more interesting character than he was in the "Trial" story line.
Agreed. Also, they must remember that he IS The Doctor, only corrupted and desperate.

I think it would be easy enough for The Valeyard to show up. If the potential for the Doctor to become The Valeyard still exists (Waters of Mars shows us that it does) then all The Valeyard has to do is travel back in time to a point where he has found a way to attack his younger self in an effort to steal the remaining regenerations somehow.

I'd like to see him reamed as well. The Valeyard beats The Doctor, but in the end one of the companions is able to reawaken compassion and goodness in The Valeyard, and he not only surrenders to The Doctor, but tells him how to prevent himself from ever coming into existence.
Old January 10 2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well he is told to be an 'amalgamation' (sp?) between the 12th and 13th doctor. This to me, would mean that he is seperate enitity than the 13th doctor. The watcher in Logopolis was an 'in between' entity, I would guess the Valeyard is similar in that regard. What may have happend is the by the time the 12th doctor regerates he has built up alot evil/guilt and that is somehow purged when he regenerates creating the Valeyard.
Old January 10 2010, 09:38 PM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

My first thought when they created the Metacrisis Doctor as that he's the one that ends up becoming the Valeyard.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 09:39 PM   #7
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

He sucked and should never be seen again.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I really like the Valeyard (mostly due to Jayston's performance), but no... no... he should never show up again.
Old January 10 2010, 11:47 PM   #9
EJA
Fleet Captain

^Why not?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 12:33 AM   #10
23skidoo
Admiral

Interestingly, when the Valeyard sort-of appeared in the IDW Comics mini-series The Forgotten he was actually drawn to look like the Tenth Doctor.

I'd like to see something done with the Valeyard before Doctor Who finally ends, as it was a loose thread that was never tied up. Obviously, the role would have to be recast, but I'm sure Moffat or someone could come up with a storyline that resolves the whole Valeyard question once and for all.

I don't think the idea of making him the Meta-Crisis clone would work. Let's leave Rose to have a happy ending without that hanging over her head. But there are options, including the possibility that he wasn't a future incarnation of the Doctor at all. Considering how many aspects of the Trial storyline were altered to hide things from the Doctor, who is to say the Valeyard was really who he thought he was?

In fact, when I watched Trial again on DVD last year for the first time in ages, I immediately thought of The Trickster.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 02:54 AM   #11
DWF
Vice Admiral

I would love to see the Valeyard's return he'd make a great future villain for the Doctor.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 02:55 AM   #12
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Remember, it's never said the Boatyard is between his 12th and 13th, but between his 12th and FINAL. Who knows just how many rengerations he has now, due to the time war?
Old January 11 2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah would the Trainyard even exist anymore after the Time War?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Bones
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Remember, it's never said the Boatyard is between his 12th and 13th, but between his 12th and FINAL. Who knows just how many rengerations he has now, due to the time war?
I hope that's not the reasoning they use for the Doctor having more regenerations now.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 02:59 PM   #15
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

USS Bones wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I hope that's not the reasoning they use for the Doctor having more regenerations now.
They brought the Master and Rassilon himself back from the dead. In The Five Doctors, the Time Lady offered the Master a whole new set of 13 regenerations. And for whatever reason, Susan is part of Rassilon's inner council. If they can do all of that, what would possibly stop them from giving all of the Time Lords/Ladies infinite regenerations?