Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2010, 08:16 PM   #16
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Re: "Star Wars: A New Hope" NPR radio serial 1981

Not quite the same thing, but Dark Horse's Star Wars saga "Dark Empire" was adapted into a full-cast audio drama with Billy Dee Williams returning as Lando. (As oppossed to other SW audio books which mainly have a single narrator).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire_%28audio%29

Billy Dee also did one of the games in the Jedi Knight series where Lando made an appearance.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 09:18 PM   #17
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

This is probably also an appropriate time to mention that these adaptations were written by Brian Daley, who also penned the original Han Solo Trilogy from the dawn of the Star Wars EU. Sadly, he passed away from cancer during the production of the ROTJ serial.
Old December 7 2010, 02:45 AM   #18
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been a resurgence of the genre with ability to create podcasts with decent digital productions.
There's been some. My favourite is a group called Decoder Ring Theatre (who actually have some of the best sound and production quality out there, in my opinion). They make two main shows and for the summer they have special one-offs that they call Summer Showcase.

The Red Panda Adventures is classic superhero stuff. From the opening monologue (which has been rewritten a couple times to reflect changing character and plot situations: "The Red Panda, mysterious crusader for justice, hides his true identity as one of the city's wealthiest men in his never-ending battle against crime and corruption. Only his trusty driver, Kit Baxter, who joins him in his quest in the guise of the Flying Squirrel, knows who wears the mask of the Red Panda!" It sounds like it's a parody of the genre, and originally they made some episodes that were, but the universe and format was quickly rebooted to be more genuine. The city in question is Toronto.

Black Jack Justice is in the vein of Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe. Jack Justice and his partner, Trixie Dixon, girl detective, give commentary on the story in true private-eye-monologue style. This one tends to prefer standalone episodes, while RPA leans more towards the season-long arcs while still telling individual stories. The style of both is: True to the spirit, but still willing to poke fun at the conventions of their respective genres.

I highly, highly recommend them. http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/

Ahem. Meanwhile, back on topic... I really liked the first Star Wars radio drama, and I've been meaning to get to the other two.
Old December 7 2010, 02:53 AM   #19
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Thanks! I'll definitely be checking that out.
Old December 7 2010, 03:23 AM   #20
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: NPR radio serial

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I remember RETURN OF THE JEDI being the weakest of the lot. It was recored several years after the film (in 1996), didn't include as many cast members from the film reprising their roles as the other two...
As far as I recall, the other two had only Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels reprising their roles; everyone else was recast. So you're saying only one of those two returned for the ROTJ adaptation?
Hamill did not return for the ROTJ radio adaptation. Neither did Billy Dee Williams. Only Daniels appears in his original role in all three adaptations. They did get the same Han Solo, Leia, Vader, Yoda (John Lithgow), Kenobi, and Emperor. Plus Ed Asner as Jabba!
Lithgow was the one thing about the Radio adptions I didn't like - he just didn't work as Yoda to my ears at least.

I can remember the first two being broadcast in Australia on ABC FM on Sunday Mornings. Dad recorded them on to open reel tape but we missed a couple of eps of ESB.

I haven't been able to get the ANH on CD yet - at one stage is was $US100 from Amazon and couldn't afford it. The other two I found in a book store back in Australia but can't remember how much I paid.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 04:00 AM   #21
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
And consequently the prequel trilogy actually seems to work better as a prequel to the Radio trilogy...
Except for the whole "anyone can be trained to use the Force" stuff from the ANH radio drama...
Old December 7 2010, 07:01 AM   #22
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What I find interesting is that Brock Peters' Vader - much angrier and nastier than Jones - actually fits a lot better with the prequel Anakin than the movie Vader does...
Nah, a cool and in control Vader (with that great, Sahara-dry wit) is so much scarier. And let's face it, Anakin would never have existed as an on-screen character if Vader hadn't been so cool that everyone wanted to know more about him. Anakin should be recast to match Vader, not the other way around.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 07:51 AM   #23
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Nah, a cool and in control Vader (with that great, Sahara-dry wit) is so much scarier.
Of course, in a radio play, the actors voice is the only means through which to project menace and evil, and Brock Peters succeeds here on every level.

I love the SW radio plays. I recorded them all to audio tape directly off of the radio when they first were aired, then bought them twice-- the first time on audio tape, and the second time on CD.
Old December 7 2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Lonemagpie
Writer

What I find interesting is that Brock Peters' Vader - much angrier and nastier than Jones - actually fits a lot better with the prequel Anakin than the movie Vader does...
Nah, a cool and in control Vader (with that great, Sahara-dry wit) is so much scarier.
Indeed, but the characterisation of Ani is a lot easier to match up to Peters than to Jones. Not saying that Peters is better, just that it's a good and in-story way to view the PT as apocrypha...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 03:09 PM   #25
indianatrekker26
Captain

Re: NPR radio serial

Harvey wrote: View Post
I remember RETURN OF THE JEDI being the weakest of the lot. It was recored several years after the film (in 1996), didn't include as many cast members from the film reprising their roles as the other two, and (though I may be recalling incorrectly on this point) didn't have as many additional scenes as the other two.
the ROTJ radio drama had only a couple of expanded scenes. One was Luke building his lightsabre at ben's home, a quick scene set on coruscant with vader and the emperor, and a great expanded scene right after the falcon and luke's x-wing leave tatooine. This scene is a great one between han and leia. One of the things i like about the ROTJ radio drama more than the actual movie, is that it continued to develope the han/leia romance much better than the actual movie did. And this scene i just mentioned did a great job of doing that.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2010, 12:02 AM   #26
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I lucked into a box set of the ANH and TESB radio dramas on CD plus the Dark Empire audio drama's on CD several years ago at a garage sale for dirt cheap. I've only listened to the DE one and I need to get the other two into iTunes for easier listening.
Old December 9 2010, 05:01 AM   #27
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Indeed, but the characterisation of Ani is a lot easier to match up to Peters than to Jones. Not saying that Peters is better, just that it's a good and in-story way to view the PT as apocrypha...
Nobody has the voice that JEJ has but Brock Peters really did do a great job as the voice of Vader in these radio dramas.

One interesting note...when Vader in the ANH RD tells the Imperial officers to search Tatooine, he seems very angry about it and calls the planet an insignificant dustball. Close to a rant. Thought that fit in well with what we learned in the prequels about him growing up on Tatooine.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Lonemagpie
Writer

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
One interesting note...when Vader in the ANH RD tells the Imperial officers to search Tatooine, he seems very angry about it and calls the planet an insignificant dustball. Close to a rant. Thought that fit in well with what we learned in the prequels about him growing up on Tatooine.
Yeah - that's exactly the thing I'm talking about.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 10:57 PM   #29
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Biggs is a much bigger character in the ANH RD. There's also a really good scene between Luke and Han when Luke first finds out Han is staying. Not the scene we see in the movie but another scene before that.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:07 AM   #30
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Aaaaand, thread necromancy!

This is kind of old news (but not as old as the thread), but I just found out that Bernard "Bunny" Behrens, the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the NPR dramas, passed away in September.

The linked article doesn't even mention his voice-work for Star Wars, which is sad because he was very good as Obi-Wan.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 27 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote