The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2010, 07:50 AM   #1
broberfett
Vice Admiral

AT-ATs and rivers

Do you think an AT-AT would have trouble crossing a large river? Would it slip or sink into the mud too far?
Old January 6 2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Re: AT-ATs and rivers

Depends if it brought its floaties.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Hermiod
Admiral

Presumably the Empire has engineers who can rapidly deploy bridges for such situations just as our own modern armies do.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:17 AM   #4
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Presumably the Empire has engineers who can rapidly deploy bridges for such situations just as our own modern armies do.

*Force-field* bridges!

Up in an instant - down in an instant!
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

That's why the Force invented repulsorlift technology.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, I don't think AT-ATs are meant to be deployed on forested or jungle areas. Maybe open plains or flatter regions like Hoth. The Empire is too advanced to put all their military emphasis on the AT-AT for planetary assaults.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, I don't think AT-ATs are meant to be deployed on forested or jungle areas. Maybe open plains or flatter regions like Hoth. The Empire is too advanced to put all their military emphasis on the AT-AT for planetary assaults.
There's an AT-AT moving around on Endor in RotJ in the background when Luke surrenders to Vader.
Old January 6 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

Given repulsor technology, the AT-ATs never made any sense to me in military terms other than the sheer terror they might inspire in ground troops. If something like Luke's battered old landspeeder can float, then a traditionally-proportioned floating tank makes a lot more sense IMHO.

Try wrapping a little cord around that, bitch!

Last edited by Zombie Klaus; January 6 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Well by movie logic, an AT-AT would fall to it's knees and explode if it stepped on a rock in said river.
Old January 6 2010, 06:49 PM   #10
The Comedian
Captain

Klaus wrote: View Post
Given repulsor technology, the AT-ATs never made any sense to me in military terms other than the sheer terror they might inspire in ground troops. If something like Luke's battered old landspeeder can float, then a traditionally-proportioned floating tank makes a lot more sense IMHO.

Try wrapping a little cord around that, bitch!
I could have made a fortune with the Empire just suggesting better ideas for armaments.

Instead of an AT-AT, try one of these beasts, called a Bolo:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/186/12174767.jpg

And instead of stormtroopers in plastic armor, how about
Mobile Infantry:
http://www.lanceradvanced.com/Illust...ages/Armor.jpg

You wouldn't NEED a Death Star with better ground weapon systems...
Old January 6 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
T J
Commodore

broberfett wrote: View Post
Do you think an AT-AT would have trouble crossing a large river? Would it slip or sink into the mud too far?
They would probably just pull a prequel R2. Sprout rockets and fly over the water, land and saunter off.
Old January 7 2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

I was going to mention Bolos...
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 01:45 AM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral

It's the Empire. Impractical, unwieldly and cumbersome technology easily felled by vastly inferior forces is part of their design strategy at every single level.

We're talking about the guys who build an exposed bridge on all their starships, had a vent for which a single shot could destroy their entire space station.
Old January 8 2010, 03:43 AM   #14
broberfett
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
It's the Empire. Impractical, unwieldly and cumbersome technology easily felled by vastly inferior forces is part of their design strategy at every single level.

We're talking about the guys who build an exposed bridge on all their starships, had a vent for which a single shot could destroy their entire space station.
Secret plans were required to know about the ray shielded vent. The Stormtroopers are like redshirts-they are required to fail by the script. I think the Imperial Stormtroopers should be at least as competent as the Clone Troopers are allowed to be. I consider the entire Endor battle to be a real weak point of the first trilogy.

If no Imperial engineers were available do you think an AT-AT has a chance at walking through a river like the Mississippi? They have a walking pattern modeled after an elephant. How deep does river mud get? If the AT-AT was constructed of materials as heavy as steel would it just completely sink into oblivion?
Old January 8 2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Hermiod
Admiral

broberfett wrote: View Post
Secret plans were required to know about the ray shielded vent. The Stormtroopers are like redshirts-they are required to fail by the script. I think the Imperial Stormtroopers should be at least as competent as the Clone Troopers are allowed to be. I consider the entire Endor battle to be a real weak point of the first trilogy.
Everyone bangs on about Endor and forgets about Hoth. They made mincemeat out of the Rebels there.