Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 8 2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Death
Admiral

James Cameron options Non-Fic book on Hiroshima

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26653

Yes, in his second news story of the day, Cameron has bought up the rights to Charles Pellegrino's soon-to-be published tome The Last Train From Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back.

Pellegrino's title chronicles two days during an after the atomic bomb drops, using eyewitness accounts from Japanese civilians and American pilots who survived the experience.
Interesting.
Old January 9 2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: James Cameron options Non-Fic book on Hiroshima

Let's see him try to beat Grave of the Fireflies.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

And somewhere some studio salivates over making a billion-plus dollars.
Old January 9 2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Death
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
And somewhere some studio salivates over making a billion-plus dollars.
I was wondering what a Nuclear explosion would look like in Full 3-D Avatar like CGI.
Old January 9 2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Jax
Admiral

A 3-D Nuclear explosion...blinds the audience literally
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Bloodwhiner
Commodore

I had not heard of the book, but it will be on my must read list for the near future. The movie? I'll wait 5 years for the download.
Bloodwhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I might read it as long as it doesnt turn out to be "The evil US bombed the peace loving people of Japan". Sure, the innocent dude and chick running around Hiroshima didn't do nothing to us, but their leaders started the war and refused to end it so they got a kick in the teeth. I lay the blame solely on the feet of the Japanese government.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

^Then you need to read Truman's diaries. He played his part too.

I'll give this book a read before I think it would make a good movie.

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I might read it as long as it doesn't turn out to be "The evil US bombed the peace loving people of Japan".
I fear that we will get exactly that. I'd like Cameron to expand the scope of the film to show how merciless Japanese soldiers routinely cut off the heads, hands, breasts and genitals of innocent people in occupied countries.
Old January 9 2010, 07:04 PM   #10
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'd love to see a movie inside the Truman administration about dropping the bomb. Japan would've surrendered soon and even if they didn't their forces were decimated; a full scale invasion would never have been necessary. In reality Truman dropped the bomb to show the Soviets that they had the capability to create these weapons and that they better back off. Truman was always terrible when it came to dealing with the Soviet Union and this was just another example.

That said, the stubborness of the Japanese emperor not to surrender despite having essentially no army left was moronic.
Old January 10 2010, 02:47 AM   #11
Bloodwhiner
Commodore

While Emperor Hirohito was not the innocent that many postwar historians have made him out to be, he also was not a strong ruler. Of the three Axis leaders, Hirohito was the weakest. the country was essentially being running by the military. After it became clear that he intended to surrender, he was nearly toppled by a military coup.

The droppiong of the bomb was primarily a political decision. It was to show Russia that the US did hasve the upper hand and would use it (Russia would have cakewalked over the US in a conventional war circa 1946). Secondly if he chose not to use and went ahead with the planned invasion, when word came out he and democratic party would have been through.

The book does not sound like an apologist book from the description and publisher note I read.
Bloodwhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
In reality Truman dropped the bomb to show the Soviets that they had the capability to create these weapons and that they better back off. Truman was always terrible when it came to dealing with the Soviet Union and this was just another example.
I believe that the dropping of the bomb spurred the Soviets on to building their own bomb, in part because they (read: Stalin) were scared of the USA and wanted a deterrent. All that America did was start an arms race that we have problems stopping.

That said, the stubbornness of the Japanese emperor not to surrender despite having essentially no army left was moronic.
Which is why I can't understand the veneration he and his family still get in Japan; if any monarchy deserves to be got rid of, it's the Japanese one solely for what they allowed to happen in their name (although I think Tojo was mostly responsible.)

The book does not sound like an apologist book from the description and publisher note I read.
No, it's probably a true history book like those by Howard Zinn and Studs Terkel, the kind that Americans should be reading more of.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 10:02 PM   #13
J.T.B.
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see a movie inside the Truman administration about dropping the bomb. Japan would've surrendered soon and even if they didn't their forces were decimated; a full scale invasion would never have been necessary. In reality Truman dropped the bomb to show the Soviets that they had the capability to create these weapons and that they better back off.
There is zero evidence that anyone in the Truman administration or the Joint Chiefs thought that Japan was going to surrender soon or that an invasion would be unnecessary. Defeated Japanese forces in the field had yielded remarkably few prisoners, they seemed to prefer to die, and civilian Japanese subjects in Saipan had jumped off cliffs when American forces took the island, all lending to serious questions about whether the Japanese people would ever surrender.

The B-29 fire-bombing campaign was already decimating Japanese cities, and the atomic bombs were an extension of that campaign. New and far more deadly , but an extension nonetheless. Of course there were other political and diplomatic considerations, there always are, but no credible evidence has been uncovered that Truman thought that the war would end without the bombing campaign and the invasion. His biggest consideration WRT the USSR was to get Japan to surrender before the Soviets got a bigger role in the Pacific war and a bigger claim on post-war Japan.

Truman was always terrible when it came to dealing with the Soviet Union and this was just another example.
Yeah, the Berlin Airlift, what an embarrassment!

That said, the stubborness of the Japanese emperor not to surrender despite having essentially no army left was moronic.
By August '45 there were enough Japanese soldiers in the home islands for over 60 infantry divisions, though they could only effectively arm about half that amount.

The emperor deserves blame, sure, but the Japanese government at that time was a dysfunctional balance between the emperor and the military. The emperor could have been assassinated or deposed in favor of a more hardline "no surrender" member of the imperial family, and in fact there were plans to do just that and it came close to happening. The a-bombs were a drastic enough new development in the war to allow the surrender/never-surrender stalemate in the war cabinet to be broken.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 03:10 AM   #14
Gaith
Rear Admiral

After seeing Avatar, the prospect of a 3D A-bomb experience... wow. That could be incredibly intense, and compelling cinema. I just wonder what the plot would be; the Titanic was one thing, but I'm not sure that this would allow for a mainstream against-all-odds romance...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 03:14 AM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I've been to Hiroshima. It's a nice city; there's a memorial, very solemn.

Gaith wrote: View Post
I just wonder what the plot would be; the Titanic was one thing, but I'm not sure that this would allow for a mainstream against-all-odds romance...
He is a morally conflicted American grunt.

She is a Japanese victim of the A-bomb.

It's Cameron doing Hiroshima, the screenplay writes itself as a magic formula for printing money.