The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 7 2010, 12:11 AM   #16
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Re: Dumbass Japanese and Greenpeace ramming in Australian waters!!

Alpha_Geek wrote: View Post
Both craft broke navigation protocol. BOTH should have turned to avoid the colision. Therefore, both evil whalers and hippy-dippy kelp huggers are equally at fault.
Agreed that the Ady Gil put themselves in a dangerous position, but that doesn't compare at all to the Japanese deliberately ramming them (and the video evidence of that is pretty damning, IMHO). A few more feet over and we would be talking about fatalities.
Arthur Frelling Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 12:43 AM   #17
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Arthur Frelling Dent wrote: View Post
the 4th hanson bro wrote: View Post
Are you referring to this?

The founder of the Sea Shepherds left Greenpeace in the late 70's because they wouldn't take direct action.

The story makes it sound like the encounter was taped by the Japanese and places the blame on the other boat.
I was trying to avoid spoilers for the next season of Whale Wars but so much for that...
lol, I was thinking that.

Based on what they do in the show (and the article) my guess is they were trying to screw up the propeller. The Japanese, on the other hand, don't seem to give a shit whether or not they collide into the boat, since they're much bigger and would rather not have their propeller screwed up. The result is a collision.

When I watch Whale Wars, I'm generally left disliking the Sea Shepherds as much as the whalers ... until the Whalers do something like try and crash a helicopter using anti-riot acoustic weaponry. Then, not only are the Japanese engaged in an immoral, quasi-legal activity, but they're pretty much engaging in the same (or worse) tactics as the Sea Shepherds during their confrontations.
Old January 7 2010, 04:52 AM   #18
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I'm going to have to check out this Whale Wars show. That batmobile boat was awesome looking! Emphasize the WAS awesome looking.
I don't approve of whaling, but the dorks in that little boat need to figure out some simple physics. Kinda reminds me of when the jackass bike messenger got pasted by a car outside my office building.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 06:42 AM   #19
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Greenpeace and their ships, we all know they are radical, they don't listen to other opinions, Greenpeace are hippie blockheads they are almost like religious extremists
sickening that no Australian gov has the balls to actually do something about the whole situation.
Hippes go home!
It's not Greenpeace, it's Sea Shepherd, whom Greenpeace quite vocally opposes because they believe their violent extremist actions are counterproductive to the cause and endanger lives. You'd know this if you spent about one minute reading an actual article about the subject instead of angrily ranting and posting pictures to support your 85% of Japan is covered in concrete nonsense.

Speaking of which, of the three pictures of concrete you posted, only two show any large amount of concrete or asphalt concrete, and one's from a breakwater, which in case you didn't know, extends out into the ocean and thus would not be a good example of Japan paving over 85% of the land with concrete. The other two pics are close-ups of an asphalt street and some steel(?) frame buildings, which prove what, exactly? I could produce two pics of streets and buildings from virtually every country in the world. How does that prove that it's "85% concreted over"?

Now, Japan does have a very high level of urbanization (though not quite as much as you imply), because they're trying to fit a lot of people into an island country where space is at a premium already even without much of the center of the country being taken up by mountains. So, what do you suggest? They don't build roads and buildings?

Anyway, I'm just impressed that you didn't find a way to insinuate that this was somehow Ron Moore's fault and proof that BSG sucks, so well done on that count at least.

As far as the video from the CNN link goes, it looks pretty obvious to me that the Japanese whaler deliberately turned turned toward the Sea Shepherd boat (which seemed to be drifting slowly with its engines off and was in no danger of crossing the whaler's path) with the intention of ramming it.
Old January 7 2010, 06:24 PM   #20
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I hope they sink those Sea Shepherd dipshits.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Both parties were stupid. Greenpeace is stupid for getting that close to ships underway in open ocean. Japan is stupid for allowing whaling to exist in this day and age.
Old January 7 2010, 06:41 PM   #22
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
The idea of protecting whales is sound. Their methods are careless and radical.
Old January 7 2010, 06:43 PM   #23
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Both parties were stupid. Greenpeace is stupid for getting that close to ships underway in open ocean. Japan is stupid for allowing whaling to exist in this day and age.
It's not Greenpeace. It's Sea Shepherd. They are not affiliated and Greenpeace does not approve of their actions.
Old January 7 2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't know if anyone else has seen the Cove, but Japan is second to China in fish catching, accounting for 15%. They haven't "bled their oceans dry."
Old January 8 2010, 12:57 AM   #25
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Anyway, I'm just impressed that you didn't find a way to insinuate that this was somehow Ron Moore's fault and proof that BSG sucks, so well done on that count at least.
If you were not a mod I'd put you on my block list for that.

Seriously I'm p*ssed off with some of those people and their stalking

I once followed the show - a long, long time ago
Liked it, then disliked it and I became a very vocal critic until certain fans harassed me and started sending me abusive PM's and coming on my facebook...that was the last straw for me
I literally had to start shotgun blasting with my block button putting dozens of people here on the bbs on my blocklist, you can be sure 95% are nutty fanatics to that certain show are blocked.
I stopped watching it, stopped writing about it
They still stalk me today.
I just got in sh*t today, an infraction from Spaceman for telling another nutter fan he's getting blocked
Imagine that almost suspended over some online "drama" dating back to posts from years ago

Why do I say they "stalk"
I haven't made a thread specifically titled to that show since February 2009? or was it December 2008? Anyway its a long, long time!
I haven't posted in the shows sub forum in a long, long time

and they still harass. Short of giving up my email and registering a second user name I don't see how I will ever ditch these trolls

As far as I'm concerned what's said in that BSG subforum way back in 2008
stays in that BSG sub forum

Locutus of Bored
What some fanatic said about me. I don't see how it would be any of your business, unless you want to get off your butt and start reprimanding some of these people btw I was deadly serious when I PM'ed you saying any disagreement we have between us I'm willing to go to a higher authority
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 01:09 AM   #26
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

I hope they sink them both. I mean what are these idiots doing in Aussie waters!?
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 01:34 AM   #27
darthraidr
Commodore

I hope they sink them both. I mean what are these idiots doing in Aussie waters!?
easy... whaling.

as for what the sea shepherds are up to... when they are not harassing the japanese they seem to help teach "What not to do when you captain a ship."
darthraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 02:00 AM   #28
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

If you were not a mod I'd put you on my block list for that.
I literally had to start shotgun blasting with my block button putting dozens of people here on the bbs on my blocklist, you can be sure 95% are nutty fanatics to that certain show are blocked.
I just got in sh*t today, an infraction from Spaceman for telling another nutter fan he's getting blocked

Imagine that almost suspended over some online "drama" dating back to posts from years ago
So, you got a warning for telling someone you're putting them on your ignore list, and then the same day, you tell someone you would put them on your ignore list again. Lesson learned obviously.

I stopped watching it, stopped writing about it
Well, the first half of that might be true. The second half certainly isn't. These are just a few examples:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...1&postcount=65

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=23

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=33

unless you want to get off your butt and start reprimanding some of these people
Those aren't my forums to reprimand anyone in. And even if they were, no one was or is "stalking" you. You make insulting (to the fans who are members of the board), inaccurate, longwinded, one-trick-pony which you then proceed to beat to death rants and people react to it.

Do you ever think maybe you get the reaction you do because of the completely over-the-top irrational way you fly off the handle about well, everything? It doesn't matter if it's this whaling topic or BSG or something else, it seems like you start ranting before you've even fully thought out what you're going to say or before you do any research into the matter.

I was deadly serious when I PM'ed you saying any disagreement we have between us I'm willing to go to a higher authority
What? You mean the thread two months ago where you got an infraction for calling someone a troll and an idiot? You still think that warning was unjustified?

I had forgotten about it completely and had to dig back a couple of pages in my PMs to find it once you mentioned it, so obviously it's a high priority issue when I didn't even recall being PMed by you.

You need to just relax a bit, man. You'll feel better.
Old January 8 2010, 02:10 AM   #29
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I'd buy tickets to see that.

One of these days, a ship that's being targeted by these terrorists (which is exactly what they are) is gonna start SHOOTING BACK. And that will be entirely justifiable.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 02:53 AM   #30
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
The idea of protecting whales is sound. Their methods are careless and radical.
The current Australian government made promises about doing something about Japanese whaling but it's turned out to be all noise.

The Japanese really don't give a fuck about anyone's laws when it comes to fishing - Australian Blue Fin tuna fishers are having a major problems with deplented stocks and while they're pulling boats out of the water, the Japanese stroll in without a by you leave.

Some-one should point out to the Japanese that if whaling is such a big part of their culture they should be doing in animal skin canoes in their own waters. Maybe they should also eat what's in storage first before adding to the stock pile (which would also reduce the amount going to pet food because it's not going for human consumption).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote