RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 417
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 3 2010, 12:32 PM   #91
rafterman1701
Commodore

Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

What I find funny is that the iPad will still be able to run Kindle files since you can get the Kindle reader for iPod Touch already. So, the iPad will provide more than just iBooks as any reader can make an app. Heck, I have Kindle and eReader on my iPod Touch already.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2010, 01:29 PM   #92
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

FWIW, I got a Sony PRS300 a few days ago and, try as I might, I can't imagine how I ever went a single day without it.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2010, 04:01 PM   #93
JWolf
Commodore

Peak wrote: View Post
The e-bookcreators here in Soweden have made epub (i think it's epub, but it's called pdf anyway) with watermarks one of the downloadable formats (I think it's three, drm:ed pdf, drm:ed Mobipocket and epub with watermarks).

Bought one, and tried to convert it with Calibre to pdb (I use a Palm, after all), and it worked like a charm. It even converted the watermark, so it was readable (which of course means that shady people can convert the file to txt and remove the watermark completely. It's just a line of text / page to remove, as I understand it).
PDF is not ePub. not even close. And no novel length PDF can be converted without numerous errors.
Old March 3 2010, 05:16 PM   #94
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander

I keep all of my ebooks as HTML along with a suitable embedded stylesheet. It's the most open and transferable format there is.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2010, 08:58 PM   #95
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
FWIW, I got a Sony PRS300 a few days ago and, try as I might, I can't imagine how I ever went a single day without it.
I'm really torn between the 300 and the touch screen, i'mgoing to buy one friday regardless. Can you load html\doc files into it? if so do they maintain format? italics, bold,etc?
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2010, 09:10 PM   #96
Peak
Fleet Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
Peak wrote: View Post
The e-bookcreators here in Soweden have made epub (i think it's epub, but it's called pdf anyway) with watermarks one of the downloadable formats (I think it's three, drm:ed pdf, drm:ed Mobipocket and epub with watermarks).

Bought one, and tried to convert it with Calibre to pdb (I use a Palm, after all), and it worked like a charm. It even converted the watermark, so it was readable (which of course means that shady people can convert the file to txt and remove the watermark completely. It's just a line of text / page to remove, as I understand it).
PDF is not ePub. not even close. And no novel length PDF can be converted without numerous errors.
Ok, I had some of it wrong. New titles are both PDF and epub and older "only" PDF. No problem at all converting the files, though. The only DRM is after all the watermark.

Example of a book with all the formats:

http://www.elib.se/ebook_detail.asp?...&id=9173432768

Computer translated: http://translate.google.com/translat...68&sl=sv&tl=en

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2010, 09:42 PM   #97
Admiral

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
I'm really torn between the 300 and the touch screen, i'mgoing to buy one friday regardless. Can you load html\doc files into it? if so do they maintain format? italics, bold,etc?
IMO the touch screen isn't worth the hike in price. I can control page turns just fine with the buttons.
The PRS300 doesn't use doc or html, but i was recommended a free program called Calibre (calibre-ebook.com) which converts pretty much anything to anything, and keeps all the formatting.
Waterstones in England currently have the PRS300 down to £150.
Old March 4 2010, 11:48 AM   #98
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

ok next question, what readers and read html\doc files?
To the best of my knowledge no ereader supports .doc files, because it's a microsoft proprietary format. Calibre can't convert it for the same reason (being free software one can hardly expect them to pay the license fees to legally offer .doc conversion). If you have a .doc you want to read, export it as .rtf and then use Calibre to convert it to the ereader format of your choice is IMO the best option.

Several ereaders will read html: see the mobile read comparison matrix for ereaders for a list:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

I have a Sony PRS 505, which will read html but formats it as it goes, which uses more power. I've prefer to convert it to epub in Calibre before uploading it to my reader.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2010, 02:42 PM   #99
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

Actually, the Hanlin V3 and V5 (repackaged as the Astak EZ Reader Basic/EZ Reader Pocket Pro; and as the BeBook/BeBook Mini) can read both HTML and doc, but I'm not sure how well they can handle either of them. Every format that they can handle (and their's a ton of them) has its strengths and weaknesses, but the three formats that most users seem to prefer (more strengths than weaknesses) are ePub, Mobi, and fb2. If necessary, Calibre is still an option.
Old March 4 2010, 02:59 PM   #100
Ward Fowler
Commodore

If you go with the touch screen then you should only do so for the bigger screen size. From experience I can tell you that the touch screen cuts way down on the contrast and therefore the readability of the unit. To me it just wasn't worth the trade-off. I ended up getting a PRS-500, which unfortunately isn't made anymore. It had the 6" screen and wasn't a touch screen.

If I had to replace my sony reader now I'd probably go with a Kindle. A 5" screen is too small and the only way to get a 6" is to buy a touch screen. Why Sony made it an either or situation is beyond me. My wife has a kindle and it's nice. The screen size and contrast are comparable to my sony. Of course Amazon's proprietary format sucks, but there are conversion programs out there that take care of that.
Old March 4 2010, 03:14 PM   #101
Admiral

5" screen too small? I was messing with demo units of the 5 and 6" sony readers in currys, and the difference was barely noticable. Each to their own, but I haven't had any problems reading off the 5" screen at all.
...Unless you want to use PDF's, which don't reflow and are useless and slow on any reader (you can, of course, simply convert to ePub in Calibre unless your PDF's are full-page scans of ancient books full of pictures)
Old March 4 2010, 04:18 PM   #102
Ward Fowler
Commodore

5" screen too small? I was messing with demo units of the 5 and 6" sony readers in currys, and the difference was barely noticable. Each to their own, but I haven't had any problems reading off the 5" screen at all.
I don't think I'd have a problem, per se, reading off the the 5" screen, but having tested the 5" in the store, I find the 6" screen superior as far as readability is concerned. I guess I saw a bigger difference than you did. I can tell you that if I had to choose between the smaller screen and the 6" with touchscreen, I would choose the smaller screen because the contrast is so much better. Between the two units contrast makes a far bigger difference in readability than screen size does.
...Unless you want to use PDF's, which don't reflow and are useless and slow on any reader (you can, of course, simply convert to ePub in Calibre unless your PDF's are full-page scans of ancient books full of pictures)
Sony readers are practically worthless when it comes to pdf files, so I either convert them or read them on my computer.
Old March 4 2010, 05:54 PM   #103
JWolf
Commodore

Kataaran wrote: View Post
I keep all of my ebooks as HTML along with a suitable embedded stylesheet. It's the most open and transferable format there is.
ePub is XML with CSS and other bits added in. So that is actually even more portable then HTML/CSS as HTML/CSS allows for errors you won't get in XML/CSS.
Old March 4 2010, 06:07 PM   #104
JWolf
Commodore

I'm really torn between the 300 and the touch screen, I'm going to buy one Friday regardless. Can you load HTML\doc files into it? if so do they maintain format? italics, bold,etc?
Get the 600. The larger screen is much better. Plus it's faster.

HTML cannot be loaded. But you can use Calibre to convert the HTML into ePub which will keep the styles such as italic and bold. If you need any help with Calibre, go to Mobileread at http://www.mobileread.com and you can get lots of help with conversions and your Reader.
Old March 8 2010, 08:54 PM   #105
Ward Fowler
Commodore

I'm really torn between the 300 and the touch screen, i'mgoing to buy one friday regardless.
Well, what did you end up getting?