RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Posts: 5,214,670
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 781
Newest member: dmhp32


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 22 2010, 05:21 PM   #76
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander
 
Kataaran's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

OK, I should have said video for the locked-in-ness of it. iTunes audio files still suck though for being in that AAC format. Can't play them in my car without re-encoding them.

I imagine any ebook sold by Apple will be almost an epub but with some rubbish thrown in so you can't read them on any other device.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 05:38 PM   #77
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Kataaran wrote: View Post
iTunes audio files still suck though for being in that AAC format. Can't play them in my car without re-encoding them.
Oh noes, Apple sells music in a widely-supported format that sounds better at a given bitrate than MP3. The horror, the horror.

Kataaran wrote: View Post
I imagine any ebook sold by Apple will be almost an epub but with some rubbish thrown in so you can't read them on any other device.
The ePub spec does not specify any specific DRM implementation, just how to apply one. Choosing a different one than Adobe's doesn't make it "not an ePub", any more than using Adobe's makes it "not an ePub".
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 06:14 PM   #78
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

What ebook readers DO have backlight? The majority of my reading comes in the dark after the wife falls asleep
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 07:12 PM   #79
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral
 
BrotherBenny's Avatar
 
Location: BrotherBenny
View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
What ebook readers DO have backlight? The majority of my reading comes in the dark after the wife falls asleep
I would suggest getting the light attachment to an ordinary ebook reader. They're designed not to be backlit so you don't get eyestrain.

Which reminds me, I've got shitloads of stuff on my ereader to actually read and loads of dtf books too. i need several lifetimes to read everything.
__________________
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 07:17 PM   #80
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
What ebook readers DO have backlight? The majority of my reading comes in the dark after the wife falls asleep
No eInk readers will have a backlight; you're looking for something with an LCD screen, like an iPod Touch.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 12:29 AM   #81
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander
 
Kataaran's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

ATimson wrote: View Post
The ePub spec does not specify any specific DRM implementation, just how to apply one. Choosing a different one than Adobe's doesn't make it "not an ePub", any more than using Adobe's makes it "not an ePub".
So they add crap into an epub, making it an epub+(rubbish-that-will-make-your-life-difficult-in-the-long-run). How is that not almost an epub then?
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 12:35 AM   #82
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

ok next question, what readers and read html\doc files?
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 01:16 AM   #83
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Kataaran wrote: View Post
So they add crap into an epub, making it an epub+(rubbish-that-will-make-your-life-difficult-in-the-long-run). How is that not almost an epub then?
It's "not almost an ePub" because it is a spec-legal ePub. And if you're going to ding Apple for that, you need to ding every other ebook vendor out there for the same thing.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 10:57 AM   #84
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander
 
Kataaran's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

^ Already do, I won't buy anything with DRM. But when it comes to Apple I have a suspicion that their epubs will end up not being compatible with other readers.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 04:02 PM   #85
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Greenfield, MA
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Kataaran wrote: View Post
But when it comes to Apple I have a suspicion that their epubs will end up not being compatible with other readers.
From what I've read at MobileRead, your suspicion would be correct.
__________________
Timothy Clough
"What the hell are you doing?" "The Vulcan neck pinch?" "No, no, no, stupid, you've got it much too high. It's down here where the shoulder meets the neck." "Like this?" "Yeah!" "Thanks." -Spaceballs
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 09:44 PM   #86
snakespeare
Commander
 
snakespeare's Avatar
 
Location: Northwestern USA
Send a message via Yahoo to snakespeare
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

The ePub spec does allow DRM. It is actually in a revision phase for the next year or so. For correct info, go here:

http://www.idpf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22
snakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2010, 04:19 AM   #87
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Actually, if you are able to install the txtr app and put the eBooks on the iPad via USB, then you can use ePub that are ADE compatible with the iPad.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2010, 05:44 AM   #88
Ktrek
Captain
 
Ktrek's Avatar
 
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
ok next question, what readers and read html\doc files?
I am not aware of an ebook reader that does html, BUT there is a free software program called Calibre that will convert several formats as long as they have no DRM on them. Also there is a cool website called online-convert.com that will convert almost anything you could ever want. It will convert html files into epub (and does an excellent job I might add) or if you have a URL you can copy and past the URL into the appropriate place and it will troll the info and create an epub for you. Most of the time it takes less than a minute. Here is a link:

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

Kevin
__________________
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine
Ktrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2010, 10:05 PM   #89
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Ktrek wrote: View Post
Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
ok next question, what readers and read html\doc files?
I am not aware of an ebook reader that does html, BUT there is a free software program called Calibre that will convert several formats as long as they have no DRM on them. Also there is a cool website called online-convert.com that will convert almost anything you could ever want. It will convert html files into epub (and does an excellent job I might add) or if you have a URL you can copy and past the URL into the appropriate place and it will troll the info and create an epub for you. Most of the time it takes less than a minute. Here is a link:

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

Kevin
I prefer to go with Calibre as I have more control then I do over the website approach. If the DOC is converted to RTF, Sony Readers will handle it.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2010, 10:29 PM   #90
Peak
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sweden
Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

The e-bookcreators here in Sweden have made epub (i think it's epub, but it's called pdf anyway) with watermarks one of the downloadable formats (I think it's three, drm:ed pdf, drm:ed Mobipocket and epub with watermarks).

Bought one, and tried to convert it with Calibre to pdb (I use a Palm, after all), and it worked like a charm. It even converted the watermark, so it was readable (which of course means that shady people can convert the file to txt and remove the watermark completely. It's just a line of text / page to remove, as I understand it).
__________________
//Peak
http://www.scifinytt.se

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ebook readers, ebooks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.