Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 1 2010, 06:47 AM   #451
JD
Admiral

Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Star Wars is really irritating. I see no reason why ALL the SW books, past and present, shouldn't be on Kindle.
I really wonder how they decided which ones to release, it seems pretty random. What I really cracks me up is that's it's mostly the post ROTJ books which alot of people haven't liked, and the stand alones which alot more people have like aren't available in ebooks. You'd think they'd want to release the one people have liked better.
Old December 1 2010, 08:31 AM   #452
JWolf
Commodore

garoo1980 wrote: View Post
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection? I've started going that way recently, starting with the Vanguard series and now Typhon Pact / Titan.
Pretty much. Whenever possible I always get the ebook version. with a Kindle there are some availability issues so I have broken down and bought the book.

Seriously, how can a store get printed copies of it faster than a FILE can get loaded on a server?
What happens is S&S gives a release date for the title. The pBook (paper book) is usually released before this date. The eBook is not released until the release date.
Old December 1 2010, 05:59 PM   #453
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

I see a number of fellow Nook owners here. Anyone have their B&N profiles set to "public" so that we can follow each other? I have yet to use the "Lend Me" feature... need more Nook friends!

My B&N profile, BTW, is:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/julioangelortiz-profile
Old December 1 2010, 07:49 PM   #454
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection?
I've been buying my Trek via ebook exclusively since 2004. I've bought just about every format available (if you count the various ePub styles as one format).
Old December 1 2010, 08:06 PM   #455
JD
Admiral

I might set one up later.
Old December 3 2010, 01:28 AM   #456
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

I guess to answer my own question, I have a large amount of TrekLit (80+) in eBook format from eReader.com, which I started purchasing in 2001. When I bought my Nook, I removed the DRM and converted them to EPUB. Going forward, I am purchasing all TrekLit in eBook format.
Old December 3 2010, 02:09 AM   #457
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I guess to answer my own question, I have a large amount of TrekLit (80+) in eBook format from eReader.com, which I started purchasing in 2001. When I bought my Nook, I removed the DRM and converted them to EPUB. Going forward, I am purchasing all TrekLit in eBook format.
...doesn't the Nook support eReader format books in addition to epub?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2010, 02:22 AM   #458
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
...doesn't the Nook support eReader format books in addition to epub?
Apparently it does, but not well. I read reports of half of the books not showing up with the proper metatag information like book title and author, so instead of dealing with the hassle, I went through that process.
Old December 3 2010, 10:15 AM   #459
aaon80
Lieutenant

I've now purchased about 3 books via the Kindle store for use on my iPhone and iPad. I am generally quite satisfied with the books and formatting, with the exception of section breaks, which tend to get rendered as simply an extra blank line, a break which can be barely noticeable. Still, all in all I am quite pleased.
aaon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2010, 06:38 PM   #460
ares93
Commodore

Noticed the same thing on my iphone. But the books display just fine on my kindle. Maybe its something with the iphone app itself...
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2010, 07:54 PM   #461
JD
Admiral

The only issue I've had with the Nookbooks, is that all of the paragraphs have the exact same space between them, so I wasn't always sure if there was a time or setting change until I was a couple paragraphs into the scene.
Old December 3 2010, 08:11 PM   #462
ares93
Commodore

^ no clue on the nooks, but i did some digging. apparently formatting issues are fairly common on the kindle iphone/ipad apps.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2010, 08:29 PM   #463
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

JD wrote: View Post
The only issue I've had with the Nookbooks, is that all of the paragraphs have the exact same space between them, so I wasn't always sure if there was a time or setting change until I was a couple paragraphs into the scene.
I've had that problem, as well, with books from multiple publishers. With Trek books, they used to put stars in all section breaks (Star Wars books did, too, but I haven't bought one in years, so I don't know if they still do). I got pretty pissed when they stopped doing that. The first book I remember reading in the new style was Losing the Peace, and I was continually frustrated by realizing that I'd shifted scenes 3 paragraphs ago. Some books with have clues, like new scenes not being indented, while the rest of the paragraphs are, but even that is inconsistent within a book, let alone between books.
Old December 6 2010, 11:37 AM   #464
JWolf
Commodore

It is not just Star Trek eBooks but a lot of them have this spacing between paragraphs. They can also have wide margins, small default font, no indents or wide indents, huge section break space due to having to be huge to make up for the extra line spaces, and chapters starting too far down the screen. And with S&S Trek eBooks, it seems if they've used an embedded font, it will have to be fixed in the CSS to work.

Basically, I end up fixing most eBooks so they look nice. Wish I didn't have to, but that's the reality of it all.
Old December 6 2010, 10:57 PM   #465
JD
Admiral

Is embedded font when you change the font? Because I just remembered, Immortal Coil wouldn't let me change it's font. I would hit the button for the font or size I wanted but it wouldn't change.