RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,688
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 911
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 23 2010, 03:34 PM   #436
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

I have a Kindle 3 and I love it, I could detail the reasons why I chose it over the other readers but that seems to be a worn road. As for ebook pricing or this 'Agency 5' thing people are talking about I can only say this.
Before iPad came along ebook prices where what I expected, since iPad I see that some ebook prices have edged up (thanks Apple?). What I find silly stupid are those books that are more expensive as ebooks vs the paperback version. A good example that comes to mind is '1776'. At both Amazon and Barnes and Noble the ebook version is priced higher than the paperback version. So, I have not bought it and let them know why. Just does not make sense.
Old November 24 2010, 12:22 AM   #437
Ktrek
Captain

I think that the biggest complaint I hear from ebook readers is the publishers wanting to charge more for an ebook than for the mass market release. I have no problem with paying a little more when the hardcover comes out because it is less than the cost of the hardcover but I will not pay more for a book than the price of the mass market paperback. It's just plain wrong of the publishers to not lower the ebook price when they release a mass market version of a book!

Kevin
Old November 24 2010, 04:02 AM   #438
JD
Admiral

Agreed. At leas the Nook books are at most the same.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 01:22 AM   #439
Snaploud
Admiral

My kindle 3 screen froze. The trouble-shooting solution didn't work, so they're sending me a new one. It will be here Saturday which is a very quick turn-over time since I just talked to them a few minutes ago.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:47 PM   #440
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Nook and Amazon pricing is identical from everything I have seen, case and point is the 1776 book. They are sticking it to us via Amazon, B&N, etc.
Old December 1 2010, 12:31 AM   #441
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection? I've started going that way recently, starting with the Vanguard series and now Typhon Pact / Titan.
Old December 1 2010, 12:33 AM   #442
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

When I get an eBook Reader, I will.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 02:29 AM   #443
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection?
I have. I get all books (not just Trek ones) via Apple's iBooks.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 04:25 AM   #444
garoo1980
Lieutenant Commander

How about a slightly different topic. Anyone heard about this site?

http://www.thenovelnetwork.com

Scam? It looks like a scam, but like all good ones its probably too good to be true, but close enough in price I'm still tempted!
garoo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 04:30 AM   #445
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection? I've started going that way recently, starting with the Vanguard series and now Typhon Pact / Titan.
I had, several years ago, but when S&S decided to charge absurd prices for their ebooks I just gave up on the line.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 04:37 AM   #446
garoo1980
Lieutenant Commander

Pretty much. Whenever possible I always get the ebook version. with a Kindle there are some availability issues so I have broken down and bought the book.

Seriously, how can a store get printed copies of it faster than a FILE can get loaded on a server?
garoo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 04:58 AM   #447
JD
Admiral

Me too. Ever since I got my Nook I've been getting almost all of my books as Nookbooks from B&N. Some Star Wars and James Bond are the only things I can think of right now that I haven't been able to find as NBs.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 05:28 AM   #448
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Star Wars is really irritating. I see no reason why ALL the SW books, past and present, shouldn't be on Kindle.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 05:29 AM   #449
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

garoo1980 wrote: View Post
How about a slightly different topic. Anyone heard about this site?

<snip>

Scam? It looks like a scam, but like all good ones its probably too good to be true, but close enough in price I'm still tempted!
Definitely looks like a scam to me too. "All content found within the member’s area is the property of The Novel Network"? What the hell does that even mean? The content is the property of the publishers, not those sheisters. Somebody should report them.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 06:19 AM   #450
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection?
Ever since getting my ebook reader, all my fiction reading, with one exception, has been ebooks. I have a large (for me) collection of unread paper books that I plan to, or already have, re-bought as ebooks, as I find the larger font sizes much easier to read.

(The exception was a copy of Warped, which I already owned in HC format. The main reason I didn't buy it in ebook format was because of the lack of availability of most major ebooks back then (April of this year; think "Agency 5 fiasco").