Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 7 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Chloe_Trek
Ensign

New H.G. Wells' Film in 3-D?!?!

In the science area of this board someone posted a thread about blowing up the moon, so I started looking around and found this apparent gem I can’t believe: someone is doing (or did) a 3-d version of H.G. Wells’ The First Men In The Moon!? I’m posting the link here because A. I want to be helpful and B. does anyone know anything about this film? I didn’t hear anything about it and it looks like a super-fun film. They made it, as they put it, in the “retro-style” of old films, and it DOES feel like an old Disney film or something of that style.

Does anyone know anything about this film? Here’s the youtube link

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzNA_VD12bU[/SIZE][/FONT]

They have a few of videos on this, a couple in 3-D (do I shame myself too terribly when I say I still have my red and cyan 3d glasses left over from Sharkboy and Lavagirl?) The 3-D looks pretty good for something on youtube. Anyway, it looks really fun either way.

Anyone?
Chloe_Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Jetfire

Re: New H.G. Wells' Film in 3-D?!?!

It looks like something you would see in a children's museum...is this coming out in theaters?

Old January 7 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Chloe_Trek
Ensign

My bad, I missed the website addy on the youtube post.

www.thefirstmeninthemoon.com

There's also a link to an article in Films In Review, which is an old and prestigious motion picture journal. Very fascinating stuff. They have apparently set out to create a film that has the look and feel of children's/family movies from the past, and it looks like while they don't pretend to be big budget, they quite possibly more or less hit the mark. I may only be young, semi-attractive and stupid, but I'm also a professional artist and part-time dramatist, and in my book they appear to have mostly succeeded from the samples, which would be a huge, great accomplishment. The muted colors in some scenes, the overt and unapologetic use of color in others, the compositions, continuity and cutting in the sample scenes all add up to a fun viewing experience for me. It reminds me of the fantasy films from the 50s and 60s, which I often like better than the unstructured, overproduced junk we get today. This looks fun. It would also be nice to see a science fiction novel translated accurately to the screen, for a change. I'm trying to think of a classic that made it to the screen without being updated or totally changed around, and I can't, except for The Lathe In Heaven.

I doubt very much this is for theaters, because they mention the limitations of a TV-Movie budget. If the whole film is in the style of the samples, it's going to be a fun little film. I just wish I knew exactly when it's coming out.

A literate adaptation of a Wells' film in an old-fashioned movie style! Ah! I'll take it!
Chloe_Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This looks like an extravagantly imaginative low budget film. I'll watch out for it. Thanks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Mike Farley
Commodore

The company that made this makes home videos that "explain" science from the Christian creationist POV.

This movie also lacks an IMDB page of any sort.

Neither of these facts mean the movie won't be fun, but I wouldn't expect much. The clip looks like a 50's style Wells adaptation shot on home video with 90's era CGI. Thrre wasn't enough of the story and/or acting to make a call either way.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 12:19 AM   #6
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

This looks pretty cool; I like the Retro style (and I still have a couple of 3D Glasses that have been sitting around for a few decades). I wish they hadn't explicitly made it for children, but what the hell....

Great find, Chloe_Trek.