RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,924
Posts: 5,389,472
Members: 24,719
Currently online: 499
Newest member: OkLewis

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 4 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Fairwell to Mayweather?

Horizon was a episode in the second season, a very Travis Mayweather centered episode. Travis takes advantage of the proximity of the Enterprise to the ship he grew up on, the E.C.S. Horizon, to pay a visit home. His father (the captain) died weeks earlier, Travis shows that he is a better commander than the new captain, his brother Paul.

In the episodes and seasons that followed this show Anthony Mongomery as Mayweather was increasing given less and less to do on the show, eventual becoming basically a background character with few, if any, lines. In a Mirror, Darkly was a isolated exception.

Should Travis have exited the show with the episode Horizon, left on a high note. Change the ending of the episode so that he resigns from star fleet, tearful goodbyes, becomes the captain of the family cargo ship?
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 10:38 PM   #2
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

Dunno about that.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 10:43 PM   #3
SFRabid
Commodore
 
SFRabid's Avatar
 
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Admiral Shran
Admiral
 
Location: In the Before Time - the Long, Long Ago
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Sounds good to me.

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.
__________________
Vote Obomney 2012!
"All governments suffer a recurring problem: power attracts pathological personalities. It's not that power corrupts but that it's magnetic to the corruptible." - Frank Herbert, Dune
Admiral Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:03 AM   #5
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Northern California...
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Sounds good to me.

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.
While I do like Shran, I probably would have bad-mouthed the show a bit more if that happened...i.e. killing off Mayweather.

And people--like myself--probably would have wondered why they killed off the sole black-character...

And yes, to some it may not have been about race, and yes there are some who see racism in 'everything'....however, Trek doesn't have too many strong characters of color.

The question would have arose: Why does the black character always have to die?

I would even go so far to ask: Would Hoshi be kept to satisfy a fetish, or to be saved by one of the white male characters? (I'm just throwing those questions out there).

People don't realize that you have MANY people of different backgrounds watching Trek--a show that supposedly shows many different cultures coming together. Of course, now we're talking about murdering only black male--the only male-of-color--on the show...

As for Horizon, I am looking forward to seeing the episode once I get settled into my new place. I understand that is one of the three (?) Mayweather related episodes...
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:09 AM   #6
KingstonTrekker
Commander
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

There was no need to kill him off --- they just had to give him a personality and some interesting stuff to do.
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Admiral Shran
Admiral
 
Location: In the Before Time - the Long, Long Ago
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Sounds good to me.

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.
While I do like Shran, I probably would have bad-mouthed the show a bit more if that happened...i.e. killing off Mayweather.

And people--like myself--probably would have wondered why they killed off the sole black-character...

And yes, to some it may not have been about race, and yes there are some who see racism in 'everything'....however, Trek doesn't have too many strong characters of color.

The question would have arose: Why does the black character always have to die?

I would even go so far to ask: Would Hoshi be kept to satisfy a fetish, or to be saved by one of the white male characters? (I'm just throwing those questions out there).

People don't realize that you have MANY people of different backgrounds watching Trek--a show that supposedly shows many different cultures coming together. Of course, now we're talking about murdering only black male--the only male-of-color--on the show...

As for Horizon, I am looking forward to seeing the episode once I get settled into my new place. I understand that is one of the three (?) Mayweather related episodes...
We're talking about transfering the character off the ship and making him the captain of his family's ship, not killing him off.

As for whether it would be racist or not.... The show would still have an asian and two aliens (three aliens if Shran came aboard).
__________________
Vote Obomney 2012!
"All governments suffer a recurring problem: power attracts pathological personalities. It's not that power corrupts but that it's magnetic to the corruptible." - Frank Herbert, Dune
Admiral Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:29 AM   #8
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

I think Travis should have been security chief (you ever seen that guy without a shirt? ).

I think it's strange that in post-TOS Trek tactical officers doubled as security officers. There were a few times when Enterprise was under attack from outside the ship and inside. I would think the captain would want ranking officers dealing with both threats.

I always had a lot of trouble accepting skinny little Reed as security chief -- tactical officer, OK -- but not security chief. Case in point: I realize Reed is a main character and the writers can't undercut him by having him lose to Hayes, but I still found the outcome of that fight to be totally not credible.

I think it was stupid to put a regular character in the role of piloting the ship, especially since they didn't see fit to give him anything else to do. Yeah, I know they did it in TNG and VOY, but they also gave those characters other things to do. Geordi actually got promoted to chief engineer. Paris frequently piloted shuttles during missions and actually had a life off the bridge.
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:56 AM   #9
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Northern California...
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
I think Travis should have been security chief (you ever seen that guy without a shirt? ).

I think it's strange that in post-TOS Trek tactical officers doubled as security officers. There were a few times when Enterprise was under attack from outside the ship and inside. I would think the captain would want ranking officers dealing with both threats.

I always had a lot of trouble accepting skinny little Reed as security chief -- tactical officer, OK -- but not security chief. Case in point: I realize Reed is a main character and the writers can't undercut him by having him lose to Hayes, but I still found the outcome of that fight to be totally not credible.

I think it was stupid to put a regular character in the role of piloting the ship, especially since they didn't see fit to give him anything else to do. Yeah, I know they did it in TNG and VOY, but they also gave those characters other things to do. Geordi actually got promoted to chief engineer. Paris frequently piloted shuttles during missions and actually had a life off the bridge.
Interesting thoughts...

SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of
changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post

Sounds good to me.

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.
While I do like Shran, I probably would have bad-mouthed the show a bit more if that happened...i.e. killing off Mayweather.

And people--like myself--probably would have wondered why they killed off the sole black-character...

And yes, to some it may not have been about race, and yes there are some who see racism in 'everything'....however, Trek doesn't have too many strong characters of color.

The question would have arose: Why does the black character always have to die?

I would even go so far to ask: Would Hoshi be kept to satisfy a fetish, or to be saved by one of the white male characters? (I'm just throwing those questions out there).

People don't realize that you have MANY people of different backgrounds watching Trek--a show that supposedly shows many different cultures coming together. Of course, now we're talking about murdering only black male--the only male-of-color--on the show...

As for Horizon, I am looking forward to seeing the episode once I get settled into my new place. I understand that is one of the three (?) Mayweather related episodes...
We're talking about transfering the character off the ship and making him the captain of his family's ship, not killing him off.

As for whether it would be racist or not.... The show would still have an asian and two aliens (three aliens if Shran came aboard).
I'm sorry, I must have been hit with a sudden reading disability while reading these posts about killing off the character:

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Sounds good to me.

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.
Too, Hoshi didn't do much, but she's Asian and she's female, so it is assumed that she is given leeway. (Hence the questioning: Would she--Hoshi--be left due to a fetish, or to be saved at some point?)

And, maybe Combs could get away with his blue skin, but Phlox would still look like a white guy with ridges and an interesting looking forehead....Blalock would look like a white woman with ears. If I'm not mistaken Tuvok is still referred to as 'the black Vulcan' by some people; so people do notice the ethnicities of the people portraying the characters...
__________________

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; January 5 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 04:45 AM   #10
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Horizon was a episode in the second season, a very Travis Mayweather centered episode. Travis takes advantage of the proximity of the Enterprise to the ship he grew up on, the E.C.S. Horizon, to pay a visit home. His father (the captain) died weeks earlier, Travis shows that he is a better commander than the new captain, his brother Paul.

In the episodes and seasons that followed this show Anthony Mongomery as Mayweather was increasing given less and less to do on the show, eventual becoming basically a background character with few, if any, lines. In a Mirror, Darkly was a isolated exception.

Should Travis have exited the show with the episode Horizon, left on a high note. Change the ending of the episode so that he resigns from star fleet, tearful goodbyes, becomes the captain of the family cargo ship?
Would you quit a job where you were getting a paycheck for essentially doing nothing? (I'm talking about Montgomery, not the character he played. And I'm sure by that time he didn't really give a crap where his character was going as long as he was getting paid.)
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 05:38 AM   #11
KingstonTrekker
Commander
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

I apologize -- I misread the initial post, thinking that the suggestion was that Travis should be killed off. However, my point remains the same --- there would be no need to kill him off, transfer him, etc. if he had been given something interesting to do!!

I agree that he would have made a good security chief. As another poster noted, Anthony Montgomery is one fine looking man -- some fights resulting in ripped shirts would have been entertaining!!
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 05:42 AM   #12
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

I liked Travis and am glad they didn't kill the character off in saeason3. Anthony has real Martial arts training in fact when it came to Harbinger the scenes with the martial arts with the Starfleet& Macos training he helped choragraphed theself defense training scenes, and the fight between Reed and hayes.I wish they'd done more with his character having more experience in space than the rest of the human Enterprise crew when it came to sveral different alien races.Like Vox sola where he got the information from the Kretassana about the alien that lifeform causing problems on enterprise and what planet it camef rom and the cultural misunderstandings between the human and Kretassan.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 05:45 AM   #13
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

Reanok wrote: View Post
I liked Travis and am glad they didn't kill the character off in saeason3. Anthony has real Martial arts training in fact when it came to Harbinger the scenes with the martial arts with the Starfleet& Macos training he helped choragraphed theself defense training scenes, and the fight between Reed and hayes.I wish they'd done more with his character having more experience in space than the rest of the human Enterprise crew.
Hey, I didn't know that. Now I'm more convinced he should have been security chief!
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 07:33 PM   #14
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
I think Travis should have been security chief (you ever seen that guy without a shirt? ).

Careful, there.. You don't want Connor to get jealous!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 09:03 PM   #15
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Fairwell to Mayweather?

SFRabid wrote: View Post
Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.
Shran was supposed to become a regular or semi-regular had the show made it to a fifth season, but I don't think Travis would have had to been sacrificed so Jeffrey Combs would have a place on the show or ship. I think ADDING Shran might have made the peripheral, less developed lead characters like Travis more integral to the plot had Shran sought their advice and help on certain missions.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
horizon, leaves, mayweather, travis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.