Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 27 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Daedelus, ala April

Just getting the thread started. Should have some pics ready shortly.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: Daedelus, ala April

Is this a teaser post?
Old March 28 2008, 12:39 AM   #3
Ptrope
Agitator

Let's just hope it's not an April Fools .
Old March 28 2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Nah, no more than usual.

Here's what I've got cooked up thus far (sorry about the size of the link pic, but my editing options are still a bit limited):

As I've stated before, with the design lineage we've been stuck with, the spherical-hulled design just doesn't make any sense any more, and besides, there was a very good reason why it was originally rejected: It's butt ugly!

So, I propse this design as a more logical middle ground between the NX and the more familiar configuration (not quite Constitution class, but the damn close earlier starship we saw in the example of the USS Constellation NCC-1017).

Discuss.
Old March 28 2008, 06:20 AM   #5
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Well looks interesting but your right it does look ugly. I would prefer to see the NX classes that have been made over on Bridge Commander, with the secondary hull w/o the neck connection. I guess this is more of a prototype, intergating NX w/ Constitution.
More of a study model, like those early Excelsior designs?
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

No, not a prototype, this is pretty much what I'm aiming for.

The neck connects up where the shuttlepod bays are on the NX, and both the hangar deck and Engineering are moved down to the secondary hull.

After all, gotta have some access to the engine room and the hangar deck and other junk.

Last edited by Captain Robert April; March 28 2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old March 28 2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

A little more backstory to justify the amount of ripping off of the NX, specifically the Romulan War and the need for proven design concepts.

Basically, take the NX, beef up the structure, add in a secondary hull to accomodate a larger power plant, freeing up more room in the saucer for more equipment and a larger crew complement, and voila! a ship that can better handle itself in a much more hostile environment than the NX class found itself in.
Old March 28 2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Nice Pencil Drawing there
Old March 28 2008, 07:57 AM   #9
lennier1
Commodore

Nice work!
I always wondered what a TOS-style version of http://bridgecommander.filefront.com...s/File/41035/6 might look like.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2008, 10:36 AM   #10
c5maier
Commander

Nice concept drawing there, CRA! But I think you should definitely call it something else than "Daedalus", as that class is deeply rooted in the extended Trek universe.

Your design, especially the secondary hull and the pylons, make it look to me more like a contemporary of the refit Enterprise/1701-A rather than a precursor of the original Big-E from TOS.

You may well call the Daedalus ugly, but IMHO it was a stroke of genius to enrich the Trek timeline by including original Jeffries artwork and make an early precursor of the Enterprise that we all know and love exactly that - an early precursor.

I think it is a perfect link between the Phoenix and all later designs. It has - at least to me - a distinct russian appeal to me and that is always a good place to look for proven and robust engineering.

How does the NX-01 fit into that picture? Well, of course it diesn't really - like so many other aspects of "Enterprise", unfortunately. On the other hand are there only supposed to be around 10 years between the two classes IIRC. Today we have all sorts of vessels at the same time on the seven seas with a wide variety of design finesse.

And one thought on the ugliness: IMHO the Vostok wasn't very beautiful, nor was Mercury but I always look at those spacecraft with fondness, because they delivered and brought us further. The same it true for the ISS. It is nice to envisage that with time we can get so adept in our engineering that the objects become graceful like the Enterprise, but in the course is there in (operating) truth no beauty?
c5maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2008, 08:59 PM   #11
doctorwho 03
Captain

I'm kinda getting a Bonaventure from TAS vibe off of this ship. Interesting design, Captain.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
doctorwho 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2008, 01:38 AM   #12
Ziz
Commodore

The secondary shouldn't look SO much like the TOS Connie in details like the bits around the front saucer mount and the fantail. Either simplify them, make them more extreme or lost them altogether. Keep the idea of the secondary hull, just re-work it visually so that there will be more of an evolution from it to the TOS version.
Old March 29 2008, 02:09 AM   #13
Wingsley
Commodore

There is a little fly in the ointment:

Wasn't Daedalus supposed to be a Federation starship? Of course, this doesn't address the ship's origins, but I would imagine that if Daedalus were even a Federation evolution of an Earth design, it would have to have a unified Federation influence in it. The reason I bring this up are the "Warp 7" lines invoked in "All Good Things..." We don't know exactly how long it took for the Federation to perfect a warp drive capable of sustaining that speed. (I'm suggesting that there is a major difference between achieving a speed for a brief period and sustaining it.)

ENT seemed to show Andorian and Vulcan ships capable of at least Warp 6, and that their starship designs were head and shoulders above the NX class. It's kind of a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. You want to show a link to the NX past, but you want it to be head and shoulders above the NX.
Old March 29 2008, 03:35 AM   #14
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Actually Daedalus was an earth vessel. According to Okuda's Chronology she was launched in 2155, which is six years prior to the founding of the Federation.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2008, 04:05 AM   #15
Wingsley
Commodore

Are we then assuming that there is a disconnect, or a loose connection, between the Starship Daedalus and the Daedalus-class of Federation starships, of which the U.S.S. Essex was a member?