RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,545
Posts: 5,513,325
Members: 25,144
Currently online: 497
Newest member: ShadowL

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 18 2010, 08:14 PM   #91
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

About that bit where Saavik is put through her paces at the (Imperial) Starfleet Academy: I'm just going to hazard a guess that the Academy in the RU is not like that.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 09:32 PM   #92
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
About that bit where Saavik is put through her paces at the (Imperial) Starfleet Academy: I'm just going to hazard a guess that the Academy in the RU is not like that.
It might actually be closer than you think. Subtract the agonizers and physical assaults, and you have a fairly accurate description of the modern-day U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, whose practices inspired that chapter.
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 09:36 PM   #93
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

i thought it was inspired by the Marine Academy...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 09:37 PM   #94
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

^ Nope.
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 09:48 PM   #95
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

David Mack wrote:
It might actually be closer than you think. Subtract the agonizers and physical assaults, and you have a fairly accurate description of the modern-day U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, whose practices inspired that chapter.
Pansies.


__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 04:27 AM   #96
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

There's an expanded version of The Sorrows of Empire?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 05:55 AM   #97
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

David Mack wrote: View Post
It might actually be closer than you think. Subtract the agonizers and physical assaults, and you have a fairly accurate description of the modern-day U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, whose practices inspired that chapter.
But Starfleet isn't supposed to be like that. Not the Starfleet from the real universe. Everyone keeps harping on how it's not a military organization, blah blah blah. I thought RU Starfleet was supposed to be all nice and politically correct and all that?

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i thought it was inspired by the Marine Academy...
There is no 'Marine' Academy that I'm aware of. The Naval Academy serves both the Navy and the Marines.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 06:04 AM   #98
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
About that bit where Saavik is put through her paces at the (Imperial) Starfleet Academy: I'm just going to hazard a guess that the Academy in the RU is not like that.
I think it's safe to say that the Federation Starfleet Academy doesn't practice institutionalized torture and sexual assault. But I see no reason to think that there wouldn't be drill sergeants and extremely difficult physical training and the like, along the lines of the practices at present-day military academies.

What was it Dayton Ward had posted once?

"What's your name, scumbag?"

"Sir! James T. Kirk, sir!"

"T? What's the T stand for? Thumbdick?"

"Sir! No, sir! Tiberius, sir!"

"Tiberius? Well, holy shit. We've got ourselves a fucking Roman emperor here. You know the Romans were only good for two things: orgies and the second finest military force the fucking civilized world has ever seen. You best learn how to fight, Tiberius, because you don't look like you could get laid in a fucking whorehouse with gold-pressed latinum strung around your pencil neck."

"Sir. Yes, sir!"

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
It might actually be closer than you think. Subtract the agonizers and physical assaults, and you have a fairly accurate description of the modern-day U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, whose practices inspired that chapter.
But Starfleet isn't supposed to be like that. Not the Starfleet from the real universe. Everyone keeps harping on how it's not a military organization, blah blah blah. I thought RU Starfleet was supposed to be all nice and politically correct and all that?
Oh bull. Of course Starfleet is the military. They're the people the government lets fire the guns in war.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 08:37 AM   #99
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
It might actually be closer than you think. Subtract the agonizers and physical assaults, and you have a fairly accurate description of the modern-day U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, whose practices inspired that chapter.
But Starfleet isn't supposed to be like that. Not the Starfleet from the real universe. Everyone keeps harping on how it's not a military organization, blah blah blah. I thought RU Starfleet was supposed to be all nice and politically correct and all that?

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i thought it was inspired by the Marine Academy...
There is no 'Marine' Academy that I'm aware of. The Naval Academy serves both the Navy and the Marines.
Quantico may not call itself 'Academy' but it's the same basic thing.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 01:59 PM   #100
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

^ Actually, it's not the same thing. OCS is a compressed, much more focused, entry-level interval of training than the Naval Academy. Whereas the Academy is essentially the military's version of college, OCS is strictly boot camp for officer candidates. Graduates from the Academy who choose to become Marine officers still go to The Basic School at Quantico, alongside OCS graduates.

Sci wrote:
What was it Dayton Ward had posted once?

"What's your name, scumbag?"

"Sir! James T. Kirk, sir!"

"T? What's the T stand for? Thumbdick?"

"Sir! No, sir! Tiberius, sir!"

"Tiberius? Well, holy shit. We've got ourselves a fucking Roman emperor here. You know the Romans were only good for two things: orgies and the second finest military force the fucking civilized world has ever seen. You best learn how to fight, Tiberius, because you don't look like you could get laid in a fucking whorehouse with gold-pressed latinum strung around your pencil neck."

"Sir. Yes, sir!"
That is a copyrighted bit, sir. PM me for directions to deposit royalties for its use to my PayPal account.

__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 02:03 PM   #101
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Sci wrote: View Post
Of course Starfleet is the military. They're the people the government lets fire the guns in war.
Yes, technically Starfleet is the defensive force of the Federation, but its officers are primarily scientists and diplomats, not warriors. So it stands to reason that they'd be trained in a way that nurtured their individuality and self-respect rather than breaking them down psychologically with institutionalized bullying so they can be molded into obedient grunts. Indeed, not every military today uses such harsh tactics. Just because America does it, that doesn't automatically mean it's the right or the only way to do it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 02:04 PM   #102
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

^ No, I'm not taking offense to that. Not at all.
__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 08:07 PM   #103
RonG
Captain
 
RonG's Avatar
 
Location: Fluidic Space
View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Jus finished The Sorrows of Empire today.. yet another solid Mack novel .

I never read the original version (matter of fact, Trek TPBs are virtually non-existant here in Israel, as opposed to the MMPBs, which arrive in bookstores a bit late but fairly regularly..), so I didn't have a basis for comparison.

All in all, a great novel, with just the right amount of tips-of-the-hat and homages. The ending was (as intended, obviously) bittersweet, and had an tragically-epic quality to it.

Now we just have to wait for Rise Like Lions, eh?
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 11:52 PM   #104
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: The Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

From earlier in the thread:
JD wrote: View Post
Well, according to David Mack Rise Like Lions is only a possibility, not a 100% certainty. Here's a quote from the thread devoted to that topic.
David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Well, this is where I mea culpa: I was supposed to take that out at editing and I forgot.

Bottom line: though I have proposed such a project, it has not yet been approved by CBS or Pocket or in any way contracted for. When I wrote the About the Author page on the expanded version of The Sorrows of Empire, neither I nor Margaret had any idea she was soon to be laid off, and she had been keen to acquire Rise Like Lions.

It's my hope I will get to move forward on the project this year, but this is a case in which I, quite simply, spoke too soon. I apologize to my readers, and to my editors and publisher for the confusion.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 05:54 AM   #105
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

I'm holding out hope that we'll get to see RLL. I'm assuming Mr. Mack still wants to write it, and that's all the reassurance I need. And given the optimistic title, I'm guessing that it turns out all right in the end.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
books, mirror universe, rise like lions, the sorrows of empire

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.