Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Was Pike in ST:XI like Pike in The Cage?
Yes, they seemed like the same character. 6 18.75%
Greenwood's Pike reminded me of Hunter's Pike. 6 18.75%
They seemed like completely different characters. 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4 2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Poll: In Star Trek XI, was Pike like Pike?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Come to think about it, Pike never beeped in ST09. Totally not the same character...
I agree. How could anyone confuse the two?

As for April, he was never canon. I am glad they kept it that way in ST09.
Old January 4 2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Kane_Steel
Lieutenant Commander

They were completely different.

NuPike is from a universe where he didn't experience the events of "The Cage" and all the crap that Prime Pike suffered through.

Therefore, NuPike is more of a calm, fatherly figure/mentor-type.
Kane_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 07:15 PM   #18
Focus Abbey
Commander

View Focus Abbey's Twitter Profile

I personally wonder whether the circumstances shown in The Cage were portrayed as tremendously unusual for the Enterprise or particularly formative for Pike. I mean, sure, he was in a low point. But compare the events in the pilot to many other episodes of Star Trek and we see events that are more-or-less a matter of course. I think there's a temptation to blow it out of proportion because of the singular nature of the episode.

What I'm trying to say is that Pike would probably be at least somewhat contemplative and self-critical even on a good day. I mean, if you watch the conversation between him and the doctor at the beginning of The Cage, the doctor doesn't seem to think that Pike is acting wildly out of character—he just thinks he needs a break.

My feeling is that Pike was used more as a plot-catalyzing prop in ST:XI than a full-fledged character. I didn't see any recognizable nods to the Pike shown in The Cage.

Thoughts?
Old January 4 2010, 08:07 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Focus Abbey wrote: View Post
I personally wonder whether the circumstances shown in The Cage were portrayed as tremendously unusual for the Enterprise or particularly formative for Pike. I mean, sure, he was in a low point. But compare the events in the pilot to many other episodes of Star Trek and we see events that are more-or-less a matter of course. I think there's a temptation to blow it out of proportion because of the singular nature of the episode.

What I'm trying to say is that Pike would probably be at least somewhat contemplative and self-critical even on a good day. I mean, if you watch the conversation between him and the doctor at the beginning of The Cage, the doctor doesn't seem to think that Pike is acting wildly out of character—he just thinks he needs a break.

My feeling is that Pike was used more as a plot-catalyzing prop in ST:XI than a full-fledged character. I didn't see any recognizable nods to the Pike shown in The Cage.

Thoughts?
B-b-b-but what about the wheel-chair? Surely that's all we need to see to connect this version to the Pike we saw in The Cage.
Old January 4 2010, 08:18 PM   #20
The Keeper
Commodore

They seemed like completely different characters.

I chalk up the differences to this Pike being a different Pike. This Pike didn't have the exact same life experiences as the original therefore he is different.

I don't think it a bad thing either. If anything, it is another example of the film going out of it's way to prove this isn't the same Universe as the Prime, (and the same applies to differences for all the characters.)

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote